Sennheiser skp 2000 with ew100 g3

Searey81

• 1 year later...

Hi, I recently bought a sk2000 and a couple of G3 IEM. To get this to work I have to disable the pilot tone on the receivers.

I have done a couple of range tests and it works. But have not yet worked with it in a "real" work situation.

Is the system less reliable without pilot?

Or does it even matter when it comes to IEM receivers?

If it "depends" I know the answer.

Best regards

John

" I really just wanted to know if anyone else here are using the combo of 2000/G3IEM and how reliable they are. "

well...

it depends.

firstly, IEM's are predominintly a musician thing, though we frequently find uses for them.  The Sennheiser products are wildly popular with musicians, and there is, I believe, probably a cause and effect relationship...

but each situation has its own specific issues, so reliability in use is a variable.

but once you read about pilot tine, you will realize that it is not really a factor in reliability.

Understanding what pilot actually is in wireless microphone technology would be a valuable but of knowledge.

BTW, even though it is a different brand, the Lectrosonics wireless guide is an excellent tutorial.

Just venturing a guess, that pilot tone is different for each system and model, so that pilot tone on ew100 will play nice with eachother whereas a 2000 transmitter with a 300 receiver the pilot tones would probably be different somehow and therefore not interacting.

I have a 500 plug on I use with a ew100 g2 receiver for plant mics in a pinch. Same thing; have to turn pilot off in order to get them to play.

Yes, but the Sennheiser G series plays nicely with its own. You can mix and match them all. I would guess that you have to switch off the pilot tone on the iem's as they are really stereo receivers while your txis mono and their pilot tone circuitry expects a stereo pilot tone. even if you use the actual stereo tx in mono mode you have to turn off the pilot. the quality of the signal will not be affected by this. But since it's the only way to make this work, your choices are rather limited - even if you are worried about quality

" the Sennheiser G series "

more specifically the "Sennheiser Evolution Wireless systems 100/300/500" are mostly compatible though the original models (G1) do not have pilot tone, but are otherwise compatible.

Not true, the 2000 series works fine with the 100/300/500 series. I haven't checked just now, but I think the 2000 series is the successor to the 500 series.