Lightweight bags

Simon Paine

Simon, both channels have an L/C/R switch for panning so they can be assigned to the Left, Right, or both channels in whatever combination I want.

I'm looking at making a little box like this. I can figure out how to implement the Left/Right but the Center of the L/C/R switch is a mystery... how do you get a switch that connects both Left and Right when the switch is in the center position?

I'm hoping to make a box that will let my headphones hear one of:

- Normal: Left to Left, Right to Right

- Left in both ears

- Right in both ears

- "Center" (mix right and left) to both ears

And for the purposes of this discussion lets assume it's okay to mix by just shorting Right and Left together (I know, I know)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my small bag.

SD 302, with the rx emergency for a 4th channel. two lectrosonics 401s. For show, i put my back up Senn reciever going into the RXem which goes into the mix in of my 302. BDS is in the front pouch, np1 is in the belly pouch for now(sometimes i put it in the front pouch) Since i get called to do a lot of 5/7D shoots i keep a 702 in the bag. I also have(not shown) 2 extra senn that i could use for a cheap stereo wireless link.

For future kit upgrades i could see me using one of those D4 systems in the front pouch like simons. Or just a SR system. Then to make better use of space i could get a battery bud II, to replace the bds and hide it under the mixer, since i still have space under there. Maybe taxes this upcoming year will be good to me.

I am really digging on Simons 4channel mixpre system.

I also wanted to say that i really like the process of how the mixpreD 3/4 channel are controlled. I think its sounds better than the small pots on the side. Im sure something like that will be added to the next gen 302.

Hey there first post in this site!! yei!

Im looking for a similar set-up 702/mixer in a small bag. What bag do you use and do you think you can fit a fp33 instead of a 302?

Thanks for the help!

Ruben R.

My MixPre-D arrived today, along with one of the tiny Petrol bags (607) An hours worth of fiddling later, here's the results:

P1000351.jpg

3 channels of radio, boom, mixer, 744T, all powered by an NP1, a tad over 5 kilos, my previous, SQN based bag was just over 11 kilos, I'm happy already :)

Thanks to Simon for the inspiration!

Awesome, this is how my DSLR eng kit looks like, great minds think alike.

Keenan

Hey there first post in this site!! yei!

Im looking for a similar set-up 702/mixer in a small bag. What bag do you use and do you think you can fit a fp33 instead of a 302?

Thanks for the help!

Ruben R.

Hey Ruben!

In this threat the popular Bag is the Petrol PS607. A fp33 is a little over 2 inches in height(2.24in). And the 702 is (1.8in). The internal size of the bag is listed at (4.1in). So if i had to guess id say it would fit. Maybe ask when you are ordering it to see if they know also.

I hope it fits cause the 607 is a sweet bag. The wireless pouches are a great design.

I think most bags on this thread are 607's, then theres a Kortwich bag and a kata kola bag.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Colin, thanks for the response.

I end up going to one of the usual suspects (Trew in Vancouver BC) and they helped me out greatly. And I got the 607. The FP33 fits really nicely and it goes well along with the 722. Yes! the wireless pouches are a really nice add-on. It was great to have the front pouch available for extra batts and bits and pieces, instead of being filled with he Rx.

Next buy: a harness!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whenever I rock my MixPre-D by itself, I throw it in a PortaBrace RM-MULTI bag, which was originally designed for wireless receivers. I forgo a harness, since there's not much weight to sling anyways, just a strap. Without right angle connectors, it is a bit of a tight fit.

Whenever I rock my MixPre-D by itself, I throw it in a PortaBrace RM-MULTI bag, which was originally designed for wireless receivers. I forgo a harness, since there's not much weight to sling anyways, just a strap. Without right angle connectors, it is a bit of a tight fit.

Tom, This is the bag I am planning to use with my mic pre. snap a photo how much space the mixpre takes in the bag. I am planing on a mix pre, SRa and a small L-type distro.

I use the Petrol light harness with the bag upthread Rado, it's good, very comfortable, recommended.

Why did they stop making them? They are so comfortable.

Tom, This is the bag I am planning to use with my mic pre. snap a photo how much space the mixpre takes in the bag. I am planing on a mix pre, SRa and a small L-type distro.

Hey Rado, there are two versions of the RM-MUTI bag, this small one pictured, and a larger one that is designed to handle lots more wireless receivers. My receivers are being built up into another bag right now, but you can see the inserts in there for the moment.

I have something under the MixPre-D right now that is slightly too large, could be a half inch or so shorter. This could be your battery distribution if you wanted. Once I get a better fitting platform in there, the right angle XLRs can be turned down into the bag, instead of up, sticking out. There is of course no side access on the smaller RM-MULTI, but I don't really see that as completely necessary for a setup as small as this. The larger RM-MULTI/E does have side access. That is being used on my larger setup and carried 2 QRX, an AJA-ADA4, Lectro D4T, and some other odds and ends.

post-1336-0-54177800-1336346015.jpg

post-1336-0-04631400-1336346017.jpg

can somebody confirm this? too late for a call to SD.

You can route the L/R of the return independently, but once you route one of the return lines, you can't listen to the return audio in the headphones. Page 6 of the MixPreD manual:

When any channel of the Tape Return input is routed to the main output bus, the RTN Monitor Source is disabled.

You can route the L/R of the return independently, but once you route one of the return lines, you can't listen to the return audio in the headphones. Page 6 of the MixPreD manual:

Ah, I stand corrected, I had just mistakenly assumed it was the case because it was a valid menu configuration.

This what I taught.

So I need a 788t like headphone switching solution. Ideally I want to use 3 inputs and be able to monitor.

Does somebody know anything about the sescom boxes?

Try the Pete Engh Splitmon3;

http://www.reddingau...h-splitmon3.php

...but for a *lightwteight bag* I guess that doesn't cut it.

For 2 inputs use, there's the ''LARS'' model which is smaller, I know Trew also makes one for less dineros (don't have a link), as does PSS in NYC:

http://www.pro-sound...B&Category_Code=

and:

http://www.pro-sound...S&Category_Code=

For 3 inputs, maybe you could have it made by a electronics tech in your area. We got one here in Mtl who's really good at these ''special thingys'' that ease up our soundie' lives... :)

Never tried the Sescom boxes myself.