Lightweight bags

Simon Paine

"But how many gigs are out there that need timecode and only 2 recorded tracks?"

a LOT OF GIGS !

get a smart slate too while you're at it. There are so many people doing dslr filmmaking that need a good sound recordist- and most of them already have an H4N ( or the like). Also the advantages of the 702t go far beyond just the time code- the pre-amps are way quieter, the a/d conversion is better, the headroom is better, the limiter is better, internal plus external media recording is more secure -- and then there's also the file naming advantages-- which is important for organizing the files and making life better for post. And it fits in the bag better too.

I look back at a job I did in 2004 and wish very much that I had bought one then. It's so worth it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's my first bag build. Waiting on a Hawk-Woods DV-SQN4s battery system for it.

I used velcro to keep the H4n in place. Not sure if this placement is a great idea or a terrible one yet. I considered the H4n remote, but I'm trying this out so I can keep an eye on the meters.

I'm considering a 702 or 702T. But how many gigs are out there that need timecode and only 2 recorded tracks?

img0366zz.jpg

I read your explanation as to how you attached your H4N, but could you show a photo? Looking to hookup a Marantz 661 in similar fashion.

I read your explanation as to how you attached your H4N, but could you show a photo? Looking to hookup a Marantz 661 in similar fashion.

replaced the H4n with a Tascam DR-680 (soon all will be replaced by a Maxx), so I don't have this setup anymore. just velcro the back of your Marantz, flip 2 of the u-shaped pieces that come with the bag upside-down to make a platform, and stick it! if you still can't figure it out i'll just do it again and take a pic. my finest engineering work yet...

8B3kt.jpg

I just received a Petrol bag from a fellow member. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the size differences between the H4N and the 661. Luckily I was able to wedge my Marantz in there so that I can still see the meters and hit record. Until I can afford a 702 this will work for sure. I thought about more "bag friendly" units like the FR-2LE but don't want to downgrade from the Marantz, and the 661's menu system is fantastic.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Allright so i m late to the party too. Just purchased this used 302 to team with a zfr100 tc two channel recorder. Makes a great lightweight rig that syncs with my nomad rig wirelessly.

Also since the zfr100 software updates allows the unit to transmit tc and quality control audio i can use my erx to sync the camera.

Everybody asks does maxx have zaxnet but i m fine with this two track lightweight setup since my zfr100 can sync my erx.

Also the zfr100 can act as a body pack too for out of rf reach recordings in other circomstances

Just filmed 4 days in the cold and in the snow with the new bag and it all worked flawlessly. Make sure you bring a electronic slate if you can t jam the zfr100 from the camera. You can t write in the timecode and userbits manually.

The only downpart is the recorder s monitoring is mono and it takes some time to deliver the files since they have to go through zaxconvert first.

I m happy with it anyway, my back likes me. I say money well spent.

Cheers!post-2158-136363418971.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Zoom (Samson) vs TASCAM :

consider this...

http://www.bswusa.co...rder-P7747.aspx

Hi! 

Little bit late, but maybe in the right time.. ;)

The number of inputs on the Tascam DR-40=2 + 2x built in mics.

The number of inputs on Zoom H4N=4 (2x XLR, 1x 3,5" TRS on the backside) The 3,5" TRS disconnets the built-in mics.

Maybe this view can make more handsome the ugly fellow ;)

Best regards,

Simon