Lightweight bags

Simon Paine

I was checking out the heavy bags post, and thought I would share my recently put together light weight bag.

It's great for direct to camera Documentary / Reality style mixing.

I replaced my 442 for the substantially lighter Mix-pre D.

Channel 1 is my boom. Channel 2 the 411A RX. Channel 3 and 4 from the SR RX.

D4 gets AES signal from Mix-Pre D.

D4 acts as Camera hop and IFB feed (director gets Quadra IEM portable receiver) and I loose one more piece of equipment (comtek TX) from my bag.

Petrol PS607 bag is just the right size.

Whole bag runs off of a battery conveniently located under the mixer.

post-55-0-87848600-1318650122.jpg

Some days I need to pull out the big bag (788 / CL-8 with 3 SR's, 1 411A, boom and D4) but most days, this little package is more then capable of doing the job.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What battery are you running the bag with, Simon? I've noticed the D4 sucks back some juice. Cheers, Rich

I'm Using Swit V-mount batteries. The 126 Watt Hour version. I chose the Swit V-mounts for 2 reasons. 1 - I needed the bigger batteries for my big bag (788/cl 8, SR's, 411'2, D4) and 2, they have a built in D-tap right on the battery so I didn't need any kind of V-mount adaptor, just a d-tap plug going to my Battery bud. In this bag I've been able to get 2 to 3 days without switching battery.

How are you finding the Mix-Pre D Simon? I've been thinking about getting one for while, and you're using it pretty much how I would, I think I might have to take the plunge....

So far I'm liking the Mix-Pre. I thought using channels 3 and 4 would more awkward, but once you get used to it it works quite well.

I'm even starting to be able to operate those channels with one hand, but it's reminding me of when I first tried playing guitar and trying to stretch those fingers across a few frets. I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

There have been a few compromises with switching to the Mix-pre from my 442. Headphone monitoring being one of them. You hear the main mix output, thats it. Sometimes I've wished to be able to just hear left or right channel, but the savings in weight is a nice tradeoff. And besides, I've already got a simple headphone adaptor project in mind to solve that.

The one compromise I didn't have to make was sound quality. The Mix -pre sounds great.

And the best part is my back feels good after a day of production.

Simon,

Here's an HP adaptor I made. It uses a C&K 7215 momentary switch for the left & right with the center position for normal monitoring.

Eric, that looks exactly like what I had in mind for using with the Mix-pre D. With maybe a slightly smaller box.

Really nice, Simon. How do you route 3+4 to the second AES output? I'm not familiar with the MixPreD architecture.

Chris Newton

Hey Chris,

The mix pre D is only a 2 bus mixer, so I can send channels 3 and 4 to either the Left, Right or both outputs.

It's pretty quick to assign. Just hold down the silver button above the 2 input fader then hit your headphone volume pot to cycle throught the options (Channel off, Left, Centre, right)

But there isn't a second AES output bus for channels 3 and 4 directly. I use the D4 in 2 channel mode with the Mix Pre D.

Oooh, a topic near and dear to my heart. After developing mild but persistent back pain a couple years ago I started tweaking my ENG/docu kit in an effort to reduce weight and size while keeping functionality high. I'm pretty happy with my current setup. Here's a pic of my (very beat-up looking) bag as it is right now:

post-1262-0-60066500-1318811712.jpg

I've got two SRa's going into a 302. The second SRa goes through a custom built active fader box and then into the Mix In. The main XLR outs from the 302 feed two SMa's for a camera hop to another SRa. The Tape Out feeds into my Zaxcom ZFR100/STA150. The output of the ZFR100 feeds into a Comtek transmitter (not pictured here, but it would go in the left outside pouch). Everything is powered by a Swit 7.2V battery and is controlled by a single master switch. It runs for about 6 hours with everything powered up.

So in total, I've managed to cram 4 channels of wireless, one boom track, a stereo camera hop, a Comtek feed, and a 2-channel timecode synced backup recording, into a bag that weighs 8.6lbs!

I've traveled around the world with this thing and it hasn't hurt my back once. Now I wake up pain-free. :)

-Rob

I went lightweight for the NM desert (Spaceport America). Pretty standard use for the bag, but 2 x 411 and a 302. On this job I was cabled to camera, but my wireless hop would normally be a Zaxcom ENG hop that can fit in a few places on this setup. I have an NP-1 under the mixer. IFB TX would fit one of those outside pouches too. I put some spare batteries in the "belly pocket" that's not long enough for a NP-1. Not super accessible, but better than running back to wherever I stashed my pelican of spare stuff. That front pocket is pretty sizable.

6257436654_e5fff0f432.jpg

Another nice thing about these mini rigs is that they fit in small cases. I put my whole sound package in the Pelican 1510 in the picture, which means I was able to carry it on the plane (including my mini k-tek pole). My clothes were in a carry-on messenger bag. Very efficient way to travel!