Lightweight bags

Simon Paine

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... great job.

Something I dont understand: you have one L/R switch for each input: that would mean that you can send both inputs to the same channel (L or R) ? This acts as a mixer then (or can you only send one input to one channel) ?

With gain control, this is fabulous. I absolutely need to build one of these myself for my Sonosax SXM32 which have also a Mix In input. But I am so bad in electronic, would you have the schematic (and name of the components especially for the boost in gain) ? It would be wonderful.

Very thanks in advance

As far as i know, Sonosax is the smallest mixer with direct outs. At least until the next version of the 302 is available...... How do you like it?

Simon,

Thanks for the reply. I crunched some numbers just to see what it compares to. The d4 is great cause its all in one. But you said you give a Quadra IEM for the director, but what about any other listening receivers. Since the d4 is in 920-940? range is there any others that might not cost someone 1200 a pop.

I love my Sonosax SXM32. Preamp sound quality is amazing. You got one aes output. Direct outputs pre fader (or post) very helpful for use with a 744 for example. One downside is power consumption though with NP1 70W it can handle almost one day with one 48V and two wireless. Biggest frustration is it is only 3 channels...

• 5 weeks later...

My MixPre-D arrived today, along with one of the tiny Petrol bags (607) An hours worth of fiddling later, here's the results:

P1000351.jpg

3 channels of radio, boom, mixer, 744T, all powered by an NP1, a tad over 5 kilos, my previous, SQN based bag was just over 11 kilos, I'm happy already :)

Thanks to Simon for the inspiration!

Thanks for the post Jon. I'm considering a similar setup at present.

How do you intend to handle traditional 2 channel routing to camera with that setup? Perhaps just using input routing presets on the 744?

I've done the maths and a 744 plus Mix pre weighs roughly the same as a 552 but I'm still intrigued by these small rigs. There are pluses and minuses to each I suppose but I do already own a 744...

How do you intend to handle traditional 2 channel routing to camera with that setup? Perhaps just using input routing presets on the 744?

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, got to see if I get on with using the additional ins on the MixPre-D, I'll probably revert to my SQN based bag for those jobs, this bag has it's place, but I'm not sure that's it.

i recently built up this little kit for run n gun simple jobs. with wireless hop to camera or straight cable to camera. nomad is a little over kill sometimes and its nice to show up with a backpack, boom and a small mixer bag slung over your shoulder rather than a 75lb pelican case...

lightkit.jpg

but ordered an emergency rx earlier this week. also picked up the tascam dr-40 recorder, it can be powered by usb, which is pretty dang sweet and takes real line level in.

i can't confirm that at the moment with my current bag setup, i've got the bds3 in that bag and have yet to purchase the newer bds4 with usb. i do have a battery bud II setup and a usb power adapter for that but its on loan out at the moment. i'll have it back tuesday and will check.\\

EDIT: or i'll just got plug it up via a usb to AC power adapter… duh… i'll update in a little while after i check it out.

Hey all!

For those of you who fit an 744T and a MixPre-D in this bag, on which input is your boom in your rig? I've just worked for 6 weeks with this setup and I couldn't set my mind on which is best. The boom (a Schoeps CCM MS setup) on the 744T inputs 1+2 gives you more options for the low-cut filters, but the faders are tiny. With the boom on the MixPre-D inputs, the faders are nice, but the low-cut is only 6dB/octave and 80 or 160 Hz, that's not enough to cut the boom handling noise of my MS rig.

So what's your setup?

BTW, I've just made a new tiny cable with an impedance matching -12dB pad to connect the MixPre-D AES3 output to the 744T AES3-id BNC input, works great and reduces the cable clutter even more...

While I'm at it, one thing that's been bugging me for a while with this Petrol bag, and I have two of them, the older blue design as well as the new black one, is the battery pouch which is supposed to keep the battery warm between the mixer and your belly.

Why on earth didn't they make it wider, in order to fit an industry standard NP1 with an NP-shoe? It's only 1 inch short of fitting in the pouch...

Aside from that, I really like these Petrol bags.

I use to belly pouch to hold my np1, and theres no issue, i may add so velcro to help secure it some more. Thought im not sure the belly pouch was intended to be a battery pouch.

Hawk woods makes a 35w stubby np1. I think they are hard to find in the states. They would be a nice size for some of these lightweight bags, and would fit in that battery/belly pouch. You would need to keep a couple extra in your backpack just in case.

Jon, since your in the UK wheres a good spot to order from to get a hawkwoods stubby?

While I'm at it, one thing that's been bugging me for a while with this Petrol bag, and I have two of them, the older blue design as well as the new black one, is the battery pouch which is supposed to keep the battery warm between the mixer and your belly.

Why on earth didn't they make it wider, in order to fit an industry standard NP1 with an NP-shoe? It's only 1 inch short of fitting in the pouch...

Aside from that, I really like these Petrol bags.

I use the 'stubby' Hawk Woods NP35- fits nicely, with space for a power distro too.

Matt nice set up. i know a guy how uses a sx-r4 and he loves it. Pretty sweet machines. For the size, 8 tracks to Harddrive, two tracks to CF. plus four xlr inputs, one stereo line input then the 8 channel multipin aes input. Thats alot of different combination. Only if my wallet approved.

*edited

Matt nice set up. i know a guy how uses a sx-r4 and he loves it. Pretty sweet machines. For the size, plus full size aes inputs. Only if my wallet approved.

Hey Colin,

Don't assume anything is out of reach.

The SX-R4 seemed a good value. For me, it is a big step up from the FR-2.

Talk to your local dealer! ^_^

...i've got the bds3 in that bag and have yet to purchase the newer bds4 with usb.

Hey, don't forget they make a BDS -> USB cable, which is about US$35. That's cheaper than buying a new BDS4. I gotta say, the remote RM2 meter capability is the best reason to go with the BDSv3 or BDSv4. Very cool, compact bag, BTW.

--Marc W.

Hey Colin,

Don't assume anything is out of reach.

The SX-R4 seemed a good value. For me, it is a big step up from the FR-2.

Talk to your local dealer! ^_^

Right now in my life i only need two tracks. But if i needed to upgrade when the time comes im gonna consider it. Its pretty close to the price of a 788t.

After looking at the sx-m32 id be down to swap my 302 for it. Unless a new 302 came out and does what the m32 does aka direct outs.

Maybe down the line i'll drop some cash to get both the sx-R4 and sx-m32.