Deva 5.8

old school

Hey Philip, just got home from work and opened the home studio and was cruzing around and went to RAMPS and there are posts there as well, and Billy S writes about a 16 trk a few months down the road, but no cost info. Glenn is most likely in Vegas, but he reads here so maybe he or someone from Zaxcom will respond about $$$$ msrp. Most likely it will all come out next week. Have a good weekend all.

CrewC

The list price appears to be $12,500, according to Coffey's site. If that's true, then I expect that Zaxcom will have to adjust the prices on the Deva V and IV, because I think that's less than the V used to cost.

Anybody find out what the Fostex PD-606 is going to cost? I assume it'll be at NAB this coming week...

The list price appears to be $12,500, according to Coffey's site. If that's true, then I expect that Zaxcom will have to adjust the prices on the Deva V and IV, because I think that's less than the V used to cost.

Anybody find out what the Fostex PD-606 is going to cost? I assume it'll be at NAB this coming week...

Not by any means official but on good authority the 606 should be about $6k list.

Eric

I'm wondering about current Deva owners. There are some things advertised for the current Deva (like a flash option), that aren't in it yet, and this new deva appears. Will options like the flash backup for the Deva IV and V that aren't implemented yet eventually BE implemented, or will they fall by the wayside, since this new deva has the flash port right on it?

I'm wondering about current Deva owners. There are some things advertised for the current Deva (like a flash option), that aren't in it yet, and this new deva appears. Will options like the flash backup for the Deva IV and V that aren't implemented yet eventually BE implemented, or will they fall by the wayside, since this new deva has the flash port right on it?

IIRC, that option was a sort of internal flash "stack" disk that was never released.

It could be a good thing to have an internal flash disk -at street price- (see the flash disk at Aaton site, at the pictures gallery. Flash disks should become cheap soon. IDE replacement, so it coul dbe used on all hard disk recorders...!)

I like the new CF slot though. In fact I hope we can soon switch to something else than optical discs.

From the specs it's 1Kg heavier than current models. Something is wrong here...

The new knobs are not very ergonomically spreaded on the front panel imo and anyway I would have preferred much more to have the extra faders on a different surface. It can be very unconfortable to manipulate those knobs when in the cart, I think. So I miss the promissed -time ago- small fader panel.

And I'm still missing very important things like discrete outputs on standard connectors (two XLR3 or one XLR5 at least), and have the rest of the outputs on an audio connector (not a DB25)...

A stereo input (maybe merging two inputs into an XLR5)

More solid FW communication

More gain on the preamps (my Schoeps need more gain too often)

I mean, I miss, not only the promissed features (soft or hard), but some design improvements to justify (I know no one need to justify a new product but...) the release of new models; the current ones are not completely finished (I don't see how new un-promissed features on current model can compensate for the missing promissed ones)

So I feel a bit like there's something new (well, so-so) but the recorder we bought is not complete.

Not nice. Sort of dissapointed.

...and Graham Bell knows we've been veeery patient

I got tired waiting for the internal flash drive with my Deva V so bought a Sandisc Extreme and powered it through the fw slot. Works fine. I guess I could jump in and make it an internal function, but never got round to it. I have to admit I'm worried that Zaxcom will turn around and stop the software upgrades before they get all the mods in. We will see.

Jon

I got tired waiting for the internal flash drive with my Deva V so bought a Sandisc Extreme and powered it through the fw slot. Works fine. I guess I could jump in and make it an internal function, but never got round to it. I have to admit I'm worried that Zaxcom will turn around and stop the software upgrades before they get all the mods in. We will see.

Jon

That is very interesting! I bought a FW card reader (Addonics DigiDrive) but the Deva could not see it.

Is it the "Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader" ? (silver)

Are you able to do realtime mirroring (while-in-stop really) with it ?

Or do you mirror manually after recording ?

Is it faster than DVD-RAM?

Thank you

That is very interesting! I bought a FW card reader (Addonics DigiDrive) but the Deva could not see it.

Is it the "Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader" ? (silver)

Are you able to do realtime mirroring (while-in-stop really) with it ?

Or do you mirror manually after recording ?

Is it faster than DVD-RAM?

Thank you

Hi, Fernando

I bought one for a job a little while back to use with my SD recorder. Very fast, rugged, and comes with both an 800 to 800 cable and a 400 to 800 cable.  Here's a link:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2006)-SDDRX4-CF-SanDisk_Extreme_FireWire_Reader.aspx

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim. I'd like to know about it's performance with the Deva IV/V since we don't know about any other similar device that works.

Hi, Fernando

I bought one for a job a little while back to use with my SD recorder. Very fast, rugged, and comes with both an 800 to 800 cable and a 400 to 800 cable.  Here's a link:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2006)-SDDRX4-CF-SanDisk_Extreme_FireWire_Reader.aspx

Best regards,

Jim

Did some tests the other day with version 3.39

A question was posed to me by Fernando about how long it takes to mirror to a CF

card as

opposed to a DVD Ram.

I have a Deva V with an internal FW drive and a Sandisk Extreme FW CF card

reader attached to the external FW slot. Yes Fernando the Sandisk Extreme is Silver.

Version 3.39 is running on the Deva and a 2G Extreme IV  was in the CF reader. The folder was 1.8 G with 5 segments of 2 track recording at 24 bit 48048KHz.

The files to be transferred Wav Poly F to FAT 32 formatted media.

I first mirrored 6 trks even though only 2 had recordings on. The DVD Ram took a

little over 28 mins. and the CF card took 18mins. Both plyed back OK in the DVD playback mode.

Then I mirrored the sme files only this time just the 2 recorded tracks were

mirrored. The

DVD Ram took a little under 27mins and the CF card took a little under 18 mins.

Then I recorded 2 tracks of tone for 60 seconds. With the CF card it took 23

seconds to

mirror from hitting stop untill mirror was 100%. 60 seconds of 2 channel tone

took 20

seconds 6 tracks of tone took the DVD Ram 57 seconds and the CF card 38 seconds.

All mirrors were able to be played back cleanly. I then mirrored to a Lacie Porche 250G Hard Drive with firmware 0x102 and software version 0x10483 formatted to Fat 32. It took 18 mins and 14 seconds. So it was a few seconds longer than to the CF card. When I mirrored only the 2 channels recorded and it had to make its own folder on the HD it still took 18 mins 14 seconds.

Hope this answers your questions Fernando.

Jon Andrews