UCR 211 pilot tone

berniebeaudry

I have a message into Lectro, but thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas. The pilot tone on my UCR 211 is not working. I'm using it for one channel of my camera hop. I'm on location now so I bypassed the tone so we could get working. I recently changed the control button board so I'm wondering if I may have done something when I reassembled it. Does it need a trip to the factory or is there something I can do in the field. I'm close to the camera so no audio issues yet but I really need to get this figured out soon. I have an out of town gig next week.

Thanks for any help.

Bernie

" The pilot tone on my UCR 211 is not working. "

CRAP :(

Did you try the double secret, ultra master reset sequence ?? :blink:

" I recently changed the control button board so I'm wondering if I may have done something when I reassembled it. "

Certainly, you may have done something when you reassembled it, or the crystal may have died (a usual cause of pilot failure)... and that probably means... it need a trip to the factory 8)

" I really need to get this figured out soon. "

toll-free by phone...instant RA, FedEx. ::)

" The pilot tone on my UCR 211 is not working. "

CRAP :(

Did you try the double secret, ultra master reset sequence ??

" I recently changed the control button board so I'm wondering if I may have done something when I reassembled it. "

Certainly, you may have done something when you reassembled it, or the crystal may have died (it has happened before)... and that probably means... it need a trip to the factory 8)

toll-free by phone...instant RA. ::)

I'd try the reset you mentioned if only I knew it.

Use the pilot tone bypass until you can send it in. It won't hurt a thing.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry thanks for your reassurance. I'm going out of town on a shoot that will potentially be rf hell. A college football game. Will I have any issues in that enviornment? Is there any way to keep the pilot bypassed when the unit is powered down and then back up? I locked the rx and that didn't seem to do it.

Thanks,

Bernie

" Will I have any issues in that enviornment? "

all the usual ones...

(I know: I'm not Larry! 8) )

Pilot tone squelch is for eliminating RF interference when the transmitter is turned off or out of reception range

Pilot tone squelch (sometimes called tonekey squelch) circuits are triggered by the absence of an identifying pilot tone that is normally sent by certain transmitters. This insures that a corresponding receiver will be squelched (muted) even in the presence of a strong interfering radio signal if it does not contain the proper pilot tone.

http://www.audio-tec...7bfecb9ab0cfee/

Edited by studiomprd

" Will I have any issues in that enviornment? "

all the usual ones...

(I know: I'm not Larry! 8) )

Pilot tone squelch is for eliminating RF interference when the transmitter is turned off or out of reception range

Pilot tone squelch (sometimes called tonekey squelch) circuits are triggered by the absence of an identifying pilot tone that is normally sent by certain transmitters. This insures that a corresponding receiver will be squelched (muted) even in the presence of a strong interfering radio signal if it does not contain the proper pilot tone.

http://www.audio-tec...7bfecb9ab0cfee/

Thanks Mike,

It would seem from the article you linked and the explanation that you provided that I should be ok as long as i'm near the receiver and don't turn the transmitter off. I appreciate your help! It will be awhile before I'm able to send it in. A nice problem to have.

Best,

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

The receiver works perfectly well with the pilot tone defeated. The receiver simply won't squelch when a strong signal, on frequency is received from some other interferer. However, the receiver wouldn't have worked properly anyway. The only difference is that the "failure" of the receiver is quiet in one case and noisy in the other. You still wouldn't have a usable signal, pilot tone or no. The only disadvantage to a broken pilot tone is that if you are mixing audio signals together, the noise up may cause a mixed together problem whereas brief silence would be overlooked. The range or quality of the system is not affected. If the bad system is on its own isolated track, the pilot tone is immaterial. However, in PA or performance use this is not true. A 100 kW noise up is not what the audience wants to hear, though for some acts, I'm not sure it makes any difference.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Thanks Mike,

It would seem from the article you linked and the explanation that you provided that I should be ok as long as i'm near the receiver and don't turn the transmitter off. I appreciate your help! It will be awhile before I'm able to send it in. A nice problem to have.

Best,

Bernie

<A 100 kW noise up is not what the audience wants to hear, though for some acts, I'm not sure it makes any difference.>

LOL, Larry always has the humour up!

Larry - please recommend some books (if they exist) on RF tech. I am ready to spend considerable time on this arcane black art. And math/physics don't scare me.

warmest,

-vin

I would also recommend Larry's own free 66-page "Wireless Microphone Guide":

Lectrosonics Wireless Microphone Guide

Tons of great information on the black art of RF. There's at least 15 or 20 books out there on sound recording, and I've never seen even one of them cover wireless microphone theory and usage very well. Troubleshooting wireless problems can be very frustrating, but at least Lectro's guide covers the basics, as does their very well-written instruction manuals.

--Marc W.

I would also recommend Larry's own free 66-page "Wireless Microphone Guide":

Lectrosonics Wireless Microphone Guide

Tons of great information on the black art of RF. There's at least 15 or 20 books out there on sound recording, and I've never seen even one of them cover wireless microphone theory and usage very well. Troubleshooting wireless problems can be very frustrating, but at least Lectro's guide covers the basics, as does their very well-written instruction manuals.

--Marc W.

Not to mention that Larry comes on this board and helps reassure a guy that's on location that the audio will not suffer if his pilot tone is gone. The manuals are indeed very clear and well written as well. Great attention to us users.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My UCR211 recently started to do this also. I can only use it when the pilot tone is bypassed. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Yes, it likely needs a paid vacation to New Mexico (The Lectro mothership resides there). I've had that happen to several UCR210D receivers. Larry can give you the more technical explanation of what becomes defective. From my experience it's the most fragile part of Lectros. It's a plus that you can still use them until you can get them repaired.

The pilot tone crystals were the most troublesome part of the older receivers. The replacement crystals are more rugged and on some board versions, during a repair, the circuit is modified to improve reliability. The 400 series dropped the pilot tone crystals in favor of DSP generation of pilot tone and good riddance.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

The pilot tone crystals were the most troublesome part of the older receivers. The replacement crystals are more rugged and on some board versions, during a repair, the circuit is modified to improve reliability. The 400 series dropped the pilot tone crystals in favor of DSP generation of pilot tone and good riddance.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

That makes sense Larry,

Is it possible that they can be intermittant as well? I've had a few times when it powered up with the pilot missing and then after awhile it pops back in. I sent you an important email this morning. If you're reading this I need a response as soon as you get a chance.

Thanks,

Bernie

If the crystals drift off frequency, operation can indeed be intermittent. The replacement crystals are better.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

That makes sense Larry,

Is it possible that they can be intermittant as well? I've had a few times when it powered up with the pilot missing and then after awhile it pops back in. I sent you an important email this morning. If you're reading this I need a response as soon as you get a chance.

Thanks,

Bernie

You don't need to do anything to the UCR211. You need to put the UM400a into 200 emulation mode. UM400's (no "a") with SN# below 601 did not have this feature. If you have one of these UM400's, you can't use them together. See this manual, page 10:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/images/Manuals/um400man.pdf

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Does anyone know how to setup the UCR211 to be used with the UM400 transmitter?

• 5 years later...