Separating Boom Recorder user interface, and metadata management on-set.

takev

Boom Recorder is brilliant .......

I'd love to see 'Boom Player' which would play back the groups of tracks of monophonic recorded files or polyphonic files playing them from a file listing (in the sound report?) like Prism X (only plays polyphonic) http://www.soundofvoices.ie/prismx.html

Hello old school,

The new product is called Mirage Recorder, this is a license for Boom Recorder that unlocks RAW video recording. Currently I have made it to work with a specific camera, the AVT Pike 210 C. This camera will hold 16mm or Super16 lenses, but as the sensor is actually larger than a Super16 image frame you will need to find one which projects a large enough image. You can also put lens adapters on it, I am using an old Minolta lens on it.

http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/files/pdf/produkte/PIKE_F_210BC_fiber.pdf

These kind of camera can be trickered from an external source, with a little bit of electronics you can divide the frequency of a word clock by 2000 to get exactly 24 fps in reference to a 48000 Hz sample rate. I have not yet tried this, but it should work.

You can specify the format and the region of interest on this camera, to get in my case a image of 1920 x 850 with 12 bit samples. The sensor is actually 14 bit, so I am using a non-linear in-camera-look-up-table to convert those 14 bits into 12 bits.

Mirage Recorder will simply read the images from the camera and store it on the disk, with an intermediate ring buffer. If there is enough time it will also display the images on screen. There will be quite a lot of options on how to display the image, non of these effect how it is recorded. Just like with a film camera the only setting you can change is the shutter time.

Mirage Recorder also has a calibration mode, where it will look at a white image and automatically change the shutter time and makes a look-up-table for each pixel to record its sensitivity at different light levels. This calibration file is stored on disk and used when playing back the footage.

Mirage Recorder will also come with a QuickTime component that will read the RAW video files (with the calibration), so that it will be possible to directly edit this footage in Final Cut Pro. I hope I will be able to get RT extreme to work with this component, so that you can work with a lower quality in real time, while the final render will be in high quality. It is my intention that you can work with the full 14 (12 bit non linear) bits of latitude within Final Cut Pro.

Cheers,

Take

Guest klingklang

Hm. That would generate about 3MB per picture if I got the figures right. At 24fps that would mean a stream of 72MB/s or 4.3GB per minute. And that only for a single-chip camera. Is this correct?

How are you going to store this huge amout of data?

(1920 * 850 * 12 bits) / 8 bytes = 2.4 MB

2.4 MB * 24 fps = 58 MB/sec

A single western digital 250 GB SA16 disk (70 Euros), will handle this continuously.

And will be able to store 1 hour of footage.

The SATA disk will be connected to a MacBook Pro using a eSATA controller that fits in the slot on the left.

Cheers,

Take

Guest klingklang

(1920 * 850 * 12 bits) / 8 bytes = 2.4 MB

2.4 MB * 24 fps = 58 MB/sec

A single western digital 250 GB SA16 disk (70 Euros), will handle this continuously.

And will be able to store 1 hour of footage.

The SATA disk will be connected to a MacBook Pro using a eSATA controller that fits in the slot on the left.

Cheers,

Take

I used 14bit. Interesting project. Some companies offer this kind of thing for consumer HDV-cameras. They record RAW-CCD-data to a battery-powered fire-store drive. Not sure if it´s the same idea. I heard about reliability issues of the firestore things that lead to complete corruption of all the footage on the drives...

The 12 bit is like a sort of 12 bit-log, but better, am I making sense?

I've heard about the HDV camera modification, it sound pretty good. The corruption thing sounds bad, I am expecting that this should not happen with my solution. The real difference between the AVT camera and a HDV camera is the sensor size, something that camera operators seem to like.

Anyway there is a lot of work still to be done. Right now Boom Recorder doesn't even record audio anymore if there is no camera connection. I am sure that is not something you would like :-)

Cheers,

Take