Seinnheiser MKH 8060

VASI

FYI,

After sending in a sound file and history of my mic to my local dealer, they heard back from sennheiser today that they will swap out the mic for a new one.

Im very happy with that result. Especially since my latest problem was intermittent.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I'm currently considering getting a 8060, but the more I search around and read about it the more I doubt if I should take the chance. It seems like the perfect mic for my needs, granted that it work as intended and stay reliable.

Are there any news about these issues and whether they have been fixed or not? All of you who have sent your microphones back to Sennheiser, are yours working fine now?

Inputs are much appreciated.

I have an 8050 and an 8060 both with their own power and filter modules. The 8050 never gave me any problems but the first 8060 did. Sennheiser swapped it and the second one still had issues. However Sennheiser swapped that to a third one and also swapped my 8050 as they thought it would develope problems eventually. This was 2 years ago and since then I have had no problems. The mics have been used outside and in punishing enviroments , heat , snow and seaside . I'm very pleased with them and will be getting a 2nd 8060 soon.

I was amongst the very first 8050 and 8060 adopters.  Both of mine are original.  At one point in time I thought my 8050 was giving me issues, but has been reliable for the past couple of years at least.  The 8060 has exhibited the grounding problem, but just haven't bothered to send it into service as it rarely causes an issue and when it does arrive, a slight tap or shake of the boom seems to clear it - certainly not "acceptable" behavior for a professional product, but given the shipping and time away from my mic, I haven't been motivated enough to send it in, and I own 2 other Sanken shotguns that would serve well enough in its absence - if that gives you some idea of how dire or not dire my faulty Sennheiser is to me.

I just bought a couple of 8060s. Since I use my 50s almost exclusively, the 8060s haven't been out much. But I must say that they sound great and are a good value compared to my 2nd choice of the DPA 4017C. I felt no apprehension buying them. I got them from a reputable dealer, the "issues" have long been solved, and I know that if there are any problems they'll be taken care of.

• 1 year later...

hello to everyone,

Seems i have a problem with my MKH8060, i bought it 2 years ago as a spare mic to my MKH60, so it was just stored in its box for all this time, but several days ago i was needed for it to use. When i was checking 8060 i noticed high level of hiss in upper range of a spectrum. 

I then recorded quiet studio room with both of 8060 and mkh60 to the same SoundDevices MixPreD, at the same time, at the same level (both channels linked to stereo with approx 50% of full gain, left is 8060, right is mkh60). Plus i added Izotope Rx spectrogram screenshot (8060 is upper pic, mkh60 is lower pic).

Please, could someone from 8060 owners check the files and confirm that this is a high noise floor problem?

Thanks in advance!

mkh8060_upper-mkh60-1_lower.png

mkh8060_left-mkh60_right.wav

I think the MKH8060 has higher sensitivity than the MKH60, so having the same pre-amp gain doesn't mean it's apples to apples comparison. Is your 8060 a black banded version, or an old model?

If it's an old model, I'd approach Sennheiser directly and ask for their opinion.