35mm at 30 FPS

carbonhobbit

So I have a four day commercial shoot. The shoot is on 35mm and all the subjects are on green screen. I've had my 744 for about nine months now and the hometown company takes my files off my flash card straight to their computer. This would be the first time I would be burning a disc to send with the film, off to the land of OZ.

I tried to explain this to them and asked how they wanted to deliver it. I told them I would be recording at the standard rates for 24 fps film; 30 fps, 24 bit, 48 k. The only reply back I got was to send them cd-r's.

Day one is here and we record our first shots and go to pack up. I get my slate back and notice the second had covered my 24 with a 30. I asked, really? He then told me the whole show was running at 30 fps. My eyes were bugging out. I had just been F****D. I went to production and tried to explain that in my 10 years of film sound, I had never heard of anybody rolling film at 30 fps. They wanted to know if I had a problem with my sound. I said no, but I didn't know if my sound could be matched up with their pictures. They looked at me like I was talking greek and they said they shoot at 30 all the time and never have any problems. Said they were sorry about not telling me about the speed change.

It is now day four plus. They have my files and I haven't got any calls about my sound not working yet. Should I be sweating or will this all work out? Anybody else shoot film at 30 fps with sync sound?

Scott.

No Sweat.

You should have been at 30 FPS.  They will do telecine at 29.97 and pull down both the film and your tracks to 29.97 and everything will match up perfectly.  That is as long as they were running at 30.00fps (not 29.97).

On most film shoots they roll at 24.oo or 30.00 and you always use 30.00 Time code.  The exception to this happens when they have to shoot Video or High Def at the same time and they might roll the Film camera at 23.976 or 29.97 so both the film and video cameras can stay in sync.  In that case you use 29.97 fps Time Code on your audio and the slate.

----Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's curious, they actually shot a version of "Oklahoma!" at 30 fps. From IMDB:

"This is the first Todd-AO production and the first of three such productions to be shot twice, first at 24 fps (to produce the general-release version in 35 mm) and finally at 30 fps (to produce the roadshow version in 70 mm)."

Just FYI. :)

Thanks,

Christian