iPAD for copying CF cards?

I see that the iPad has an accessory that allows a CF card to be directly connected to it. Given enough memory, would it be possible to copy several gigs of audio off the card to the iPad, then transfer that audio to another CF card? Does the iPad have anything like the Mac laptop "target mode", where it can be hooked up to another computer as a storage device? The iPad has USB i/o--could a USB hub work on that port (and would the iPad "see" two CF readers w/ two cards at the same time)?

thanks

phil p

• 1 month later...

Well, cost-wise I think it would be better to just get yourself a $200 netbook and handle the transfer that way. However there is another option that you might like even better. Have you ever seen the HyperDrive ColorSpaces? LINK Photographers and a growing number of HDSLR video people swear by them. I intend to pick one up myself. The one I linked to has some cool features if you have an iPad, but they also make one not so catered to the iPad and offers a UDMA CF card reader: LINK

• 11 months later...

I used a hyperdrive the other day. First I copied from a CF to an SD card the sound rushes as they had no DIT (so much cheaper if they loose it). Then during the job, i recorded some quick wilds and atmos on my 788t. I wanted to change the names of files and also create new folders for them, but i can't do that easily on a 788t. I plugged the 788t to the HyperDrive with the USB OTG adapter and it came up as an external drive. Very easy in there to move files and so on. Next day i ordered one and now it's on it's way.

Nexto drives are a little pricy, but would work to copy files across media

sources (CF and SD) as well as field archiving on it's own drive.

I've used them on docs and shows with extended time in the bush (no laptop, little reliable power).

Production owned them but I will likely buy a few now as the SD 664 changes media management for me.

http://www.nextodiusa.com/product/1501/en_nvs1501.html

Glen