Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

Yes.   And Alaska too since my last post..  

Gerard, your link didn't open for me.

CrewC

it's opening here, but i have included the relevant info:

Abstract

Cannabinoids have a long history of consumption for recreational and medical reasons.

The primary active constituent of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa is Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC).

In humans, psychoactive cannabinoids produce euphoria, enhancement of sensory perception, tachycardia, antinociception, difficulties in concentration and impairment of memory.

The cognitive deficiencies seem to persist after withdrawal. The toxicity of marijuana has been underestimated for a long time, since recent findings revealed Δ9-THC-induced cell death with shrinkage of neurons and DNA fragmentation in the hippocampus.

The acute effects of cannabinoids as well as the development of tolerance are mediated by G protein-coupled cannabinoid receptors. The CB1 receptor and its splice variant CB1A, are found predominantly in the brain with highest densitities in the hippocampus, cerebellum and striatum.

The CB2 receptor is found predominantly in the spleen and in haemopoietic cells and has only 44% overall nucleotide sequence identity with the CB1 receptor.

The existence of this receptor provided the molecular basis for the immunosuppressive actions of marijuana.

The CB1 receptor mediates inhibition of adenylate cyclase, inhibition of N- and P/Q-type calcium channels, stimulation of potassium channels, and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase.

The CB2 receptor mediates inhibition of adenylate cyclase and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase.

The discovery of endogenous cannabinoid receptor ligands, anandamide (N-arachidonylethanolamine) and 2-arachidonylglycerol made the notion of a central cannabinoid neuromodulatory system plausible. Anandamide is released from neurons upon depolarization through a mechanism that requires calcium-dependent cleavage from a phospholipid precursor in neuronal membranes.

The release of anandamide is followed by rapid uptake into the plasma and hydrolysis by fatty-acid amidohydrolase.

The psychoactive cannabinoids increase the activity of dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area-mesolimbic pathway.

Since these dopaminergic circuits are known to play a pivotal role in mediating the reinforcing (rewarding) effects of the most drugs of abuse, the enhanced dopaminergic drive elicited by the cannabinoids is thought to underlie the reinforcing and abuse properties of marijuana.

Thus, cannabinoids share a final common neuronal action with other major drugs of abuse such as morphine, ethanol and nicotine in producing facilitation of the mesolimibic dopamine system.

Abbreviations

AM404,N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)arachidonylamide;

cAMP,Adenosine 3′:5′-cyclic monophoshate;

CRF,Corticotropin releasing factor;

EC50,Half-maximally effective concentration;

GABA,γ-Aminobutyric acid;

IBMX,3-Isobutyl-1-methyl-xanthine;

IC50,Half-maximally inhibitory concentration;

LTP,Long-term potentiation;

MAP kinase,Mitogen-activated protein kinase;

NMDA,N-Methyl-d-aspartate;

[35S]GTPγS,5′-[γ-[35S]thio]-triphosphate;

SR1417116,N-Piperidino-5-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(2,4-dichlorphenyl)-4-methyl-3-pyrazole-carboxamide;

SR144528,N-[(1S)-endo-1,3,3-trimethyl-bicyclo[2.2.1]heptan-2-yl]-5-(4-chloro-3-methylphenyl)-1-1(4-methylbenzyl)-pyrazole-3-carboxamide;

Δ9-THC,Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol;

TNFα,Tumor necrosis factor α;

VTA,Ventral tegmental area;

WIN55 212-2,R(+)-[2,3-dihydro-5-methyl-3-[(morpholinyl)methyl]pyrrolol[1,2,3-de]-1,4-benzoxazinyl]-(1-naphtalenyl)methadone

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why they call it Dope TT. I thought you lived in Idaho.;~)

Gerard, thanks for posting that. I have zero idea what it means......  Maybe that's why they call it dope.

CrewC

Hey Crew,

My business is regestered in ID, as are all my vehicles, but I have homes in both ID and WA.  The house in Cd'A is small (too small for my wife, daughter and me) and with WA implementing a tax incentive program, we decided it would be wise to have residence in WA - it makes me more marketable to many of my clients (and their clients.)

In any case, I think the total distance between our two homes is about 40 miles.  I rent the Cd'A house out through a property management co. and it kinda pays for itself : )

~tt

The cognitive deficiencies seem to persist after withdrawal. The toxicity of marijuana has been underestimated for a long time, since recent findings revealed Δ9-THC-induced cell death with shrinkage of neurons and DNA fragmentation in the hippocampus.

crew:

basically, it fucks up brain cells by messing with the dna in the cells. when a brain cell replicates itself using damaged/fragmented dna it could form a messed up brain cell. or, it kills some brain cells outright. the hippocampus is the portion of the brain that stores and serves up long and short term memory.

So then based on this data we should expect to see results verified in the wild such as people being severely dependent on cannabis in the same way heroin, alcohol and nicotine have been shown to be addictive substances with adverse brain function/health? Can you site this data for us? I'd be interested to see real world studies that validate this claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So then based on this data we should expect to see results verified in the wild such as people being severely dependent on cannabis in the same way heroin, alcohol and nicotine have been shown to be addictive substances with adverse brain function/health? Can you site this data for us? I'd be interested to see real world studies that validate this claim.

that's three or more questions. ever talk to a burnt out stoner? that's proof enough for me lol.

here's a start.

https://www.google.com/search?q=neurobiology+of+addiction&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=neurobiology+of+addiction&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=neurobiology+of+marijuana+addiction&spell=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=kandel%2C+marijuana&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=kandel+%2B+addiction

as per the third link, denise kandel is one of the original proponents of the gateway theory that marijuana use can lead one to abuse other harder drugs. her husband eric kandel, nobel prize winner in physiology and one of the most distinguished researchers in neurobiology, memory and behavior has done work in this area.

btw, if you're in nyc and ever get a chance to attend an eric kandel public lecture i'd say go for it. you'll have a fascinating and entertaining time of it; he loves to laugh and makes anything he's going to talk about quite understandable in a very short time.

"ever talk to a burnt out stoner? that's proof enough for me lol."

Good question for the workaholic, alcoholic, sexaholic, prescription pill head, etc.... I get your point but I'm not really lol ing. I've known too many addicts who have wasted their lives. Enslaved to something they can't control.  I've also know many successful users of all the above and other forms of intoxicants who have wonderful and full filling lives.  I'm glad this topic has generated some serious and not so serious discussion. Certainly more of both kinds than I could have ever imagined when I started this topic. I believe knowledge is power and we all benifit from it. There is more we don't know out there on every subject than that we do know. There is a deficit of studies on this (pot) and most drugs long term effects and mechanics due to a long running and in my opinion, misguided  "War on Drugs". I hope we will understand them all someday but  until that day, moderation in all aspects of life is the road I take.

CrewC

"ever talk to a burnt out stoner? that's proof enough for me lol."

Good question for the workaholic, alcoholic, sexaholic, prescription pill head, etc.... I get your point but I'm not really lol ing. I've known too many addicts who have wasted their lives. Enslaved to something they can't control.  I've also know many successful users of all the above and other forms of intoxicants who have wonderful and full filling lives.  I'm glad this topic has generated some serious and not so serious discussion. Certainly more of both kinds than I could have ever imagined when I started this topic. I believe knowledge is power and we all benifit from it. There is more we don't know out there on every subject than that we do know. There is a deficit of studies on this (pot) and most drugs long term effects and mechanics due to a long running and in my opinion, misguided  "War on Drugs". I hope we will understand them all someday but  until that day, moderation in all aspects of life is the road I take.

CrewC

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong.

In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong.

In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Were you stoned writing this?

With all due respect Gerrard the links are not what I was asking about...A list of Google search results is a little vague. I'm looking for specific examples of individuals who have abused marijuana in a way similar to the other "hard drugs" as you claim is possible or likely since they act on a common neural pathway. Personal experiences are far more compelling than white papers written by NIDA. Yes everything can be addictive if you are wired that way. Look at food and how people are tied to it emotionally. Sugar releases dopamine. So does falling in love. There are many ways to get "high" naturally. I just don't see weed ruining people's lives like Heroin or Alcohol in my own personal experience. I'm sure others have other perspectives.

With all due respect Gerrard the links are not what I was asking about...A list of Google search results is a little vague. I'm looking for specific examples of individuals who have abused marijuana in a way similar to the other "hard drugs" as you claim is possible or likely since they act on a common neural pathway. Personal experiences are far more compelling than white papers written by NIDA. Yes everything can be addictive if you are wired that way. Look at food and how people are tied to it emotionally. Sugar releases dopamine. So does falling in love. There are many ways to get "high" naturally. I just don't see weed ruining people's lives like Heroin or Alcohol in my own personal experience. I'm sure others have other perspectives.

^ +11

I know a few "chronic" users whose lives pot has affected in a wide range of ways - one of whom I would have no qualms saying is an addict in every sense of the word.

Then there are those who are extremely high functioning (no pun intended) like another friend of mine who practices and teaches IP law.

I think most folks who use marijuana recreationally fall somewhere in the middle, and compared to alcohol (used in comparison here due to it's legality vs. apparent negative social repercussions) the negative impact of marijuana on society is negligible.

I'm not talking about the number of

people who have been incarcerated over the years for possession or selling it, etc -- that's an entirely different facet that should have it's own "discussion."

Compared to food addiction and abuse, the negative impact of recreational marijuana use on our society is negligible.

Compared to how chronic gambling has ruined lives, the negative impact of recreational marijuana use is negligible.

Compared to the negative impact heroin has on people's lives...? not even gonna go there - there's NO COMPARISON.

Sorry, I could go on, but I'll stop now before I get all riled up. <rant off>

~tt

• 2 weeks later...