Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be interesting:

Facing a variety of drug charges ranging from possession of marijuana to cultivation, the men face upwards of 10-15 years in prison. Nothing especially unusual thus far, but then the defense counsel argued that such tough legal sanctions should never have applied to marijuana in the first place.

Much to everyone’s surprise, Mueller agreed to grant an evidentiary hearing on marijuana’s classification.

Her decision was based on a tiny footnote written by U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Stevens in 2005. In the medical marijuana case of Gonzalez v. Raich, he wrote: “We acknowledge that evidence proffered by respondents in this case regarding the effective medical uses for marijuana, if found credible after trial, would cast serious doubt on the accuracy of the findings that require marijuana to be listed in Schedule I,” it reads. “Respondents' submission, if accepted, would place all homegrown medical substances beyond the reach of Congress' regulatory jurisdiction.”

Mueller said that was enough to justify a hearing. ““[T]here is new scientific and medical information raising contested issues of fact regarding whether the continued inclusion of marijuana as a Schedule I controlled substance ... passes constitutional muster,” she said, at the time of the decision.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/04/pot-s-day-in-court.html

+2

I see nothing wrong with "responsible use" of marijuana. I once did a reality show pilot that followed a law firm as they defended people charged with marijuana related crimes (possesion/etc.). One of the attorneys said that in his 10 years as a lawyer he has yet to see one case in which someone provoked a fight with another person or beat on their wives while under the influence of marijuana, alcohol on the other hand is legal and one of the main catalysts for belligerent crimes. Go figure.

it would not surprise me to someday be able to confirm that alcohol being easily TAXABLE, is why it is legal, and the inability of government to tax people's garden crops is why things like reefer remain illegal, in most cases.

it would not surprise me to someday be able to confirm that alcohol being easily TAXABLE, is why it is legal, and the inability of government to tax people's garden crops is why things like reefer remain illegal, in most cases.

Read up on your history of Prohibition. Alcohol easily taxable? Not really. A lot of money and effort is spent to enforce and collect taxes on booze.

• 1 month later...