Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

Creative people create in spite of the substances they consume, not because of them.

The cemetaries are full of artists, actors and musicians who made bad substance choices because they thought that the peak creating individuals in their fields  were prolific and effective because of substance use, rather than in spite of that use.

Many of them people I have known personally.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crew and Jim Gallup,

Bear in mind that while the voters of Washington DC spoke in favor of decriminalization on election day, each of you have more say than any voter in DC. The law must be approved by the Congress and the city's elected rep, Delegate Norton, has no vote on this matter but your congressman does.

The writer the other Jim G quotes appears to be unfamiliar with the drug culture in DC and might not know about the way it worked in the no-too-distant past.

Best regards,

Jim

Creative people create in spite of the substances they consume, not because of them.

The cemetaries are full of artists, actors and musicians who made bad substance choices because they thought that the peak creating individuals in their fields were prolific and effective because of substance use, rather than in spite of that use.

Many of them people I have known personally.

Agreed.

I think pot smoking is linked to creativity because artists experiment with drugs, and just happen to be at their creative peak at the same time.

I know I never got anything useful in the studio when I was producing back in the day. Drummers couldn't stay in time, guitarists couldn't keep rythm, singers had no pitch.

Also, Frank Zappa, arguably one of the most creative out there musicians of our time, did not use any drugs, and also enforced sobriety on people playing with him. No booze or drugs at gigs.

But if someone wants to smoke pot, that's up to them.

Personally, I see no advantage whatsoever.

That video! Haha!

I will be happier when it's fully legal across the United States. There's a terrible stigma associated with it, one rooted in racism and fear tactics. As someone who has been sober for almost six years from alcohol, and who takes thei responsibilities very serious, I hate that I have to add something like "but I don't do it before work" when mentioning marijuana use because that's where minds will go. Of course I don't use it before or during work, the same way I wouldn't drink before work. With that being said though I often work alongside people getting high on sets and I've rarely seen it effect their output, but this is anecdotal only. I don't really care- as long as they aren't driving heavy equipment or being too zonked to work. We accept caffeine and nicotine use on the job, as well as fully legal pharmaceutical drugs (the highest rate of addiction in this country). 

Chewy: " I often work alongside people getting high on sets and I've rarely seen it effect their output, "

my experiences are completely  opposite

Hence I said it's purely anecdotal. Your experiences might be different from mine. For myself, I prefer coming to and staying at work completely sober, besides caffeine and maybe some sugar. I liken trying to mix a bunch of wires, run hops and TC, boom, and everything else associated while high to "landing a 747 when I'm certified for a Cessa".

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think little of the lawsuit by Nebraska and Oklahoma. It's to narrow and impossible to prove, and only anecdotally plausible at best. 

But I do think some of the law needs to be revisited for lack of clarity. I mean the edibles part of the legal product. It needs more thought and precautions in their sales IMO. They affect users in different ways. 

CrewC

• 1 month later...

Washington State and Colorado reefer/grass/pot are legal for anyone over 21 years of age. I think Vermont and Oregon are close to passing it as well. In Cali it may as well be legal. It take nothing but cash to get a prescription(so I'm told), and there are many places to buy it that way. In my lifetime I'm sure it will be legal in half the states.

CrewC 

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/11/map-united-states-legal-marijuana-2014-2016

messing with the ion channels in neurons, neurotransmitters in neurons and the synaptic connections between neurons is not a good idea, in my opinion, unless there is a very good therapeutic reason to do so.

at some point in the future, the neuro receptor targets and microbiological reactions influenced by cannabis may be better managed by drugs that will have similar and different effects/side effects.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008298000872