Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My POV is that it works spectacularly well in the positive way described for a small subset of very motivated people, makes most other normal people sloppy and not a little dangerous to work with, and gives the remainder a terrific, unshakeable headache. I had some VERY scary bad times working with very stoned people back in the day that I would not like to live through again.

phil p

I feel there is a creative element to marijuana. Unfortunately, it's not with everyone. I have had many a creative moment while high, but also, many unproductive moments as well. It's all how you use it, and how much, and works differently for everyone. Not that you brought this up, but I do feel it shouldn't be illegal.....for many reasons, mainly, it's 100% natural!

Personally I support everyones right to ingest whatever they want as long as they aren't driving or endangering others. I also think work is work n play is play and shouldn't be confused or commingled. To hard to enjoy either IMO. As for creativity, that is so subjective it would be meaningless to say what helps inspire one and what confuses another in the act of creation. Personally I enjoy the herb when I'm painting or playing an instrument trying to come up w a riff, or working in my garden, or taking a hike. I really don't like it when working w others and trying to complete a project.

Many people relate Reefer n Alcohol as being basically the same. They most certainly are not for many reasons.

CrewC

Having spent a good part of my life involved in the music industry, I can say with some certainty that marijuana does have a positive effect for certain types of people. Some of the best recording sessions I've played on were under the influence (I am not confirming or denying my use of anything).

I can't offer any citations for this (so take it with a grain of salt), but many years back I read an article about a study under which several musicians performed both straight and then under substance influence (pot, IIRC).

Following their performances they were quizzed about how well they thought they had performed. To a person, they all were certain the "high" performances were definitely better. The performances were then played back for them in side-by-side comparisons. All the performers were astounded how the straight performances were superior in all cases -- timing, intonation, etc., etc.

my 2 cents. (though I can't say I know what is up with the last 5 or so seconds of the youtube vid)

I always enjoyed Bill Hicks' rants on pot. When I first heard his recordings in college, it pretty much confirmed what I had been thinking for a while.

@JB - I think many musicians have also stated, that it wasn't being under the influence of drugs that made their music better, but simply the experience of them.

I really didn't think about what I was asking last night when I started this thread. I saw the poster and thought it was interesting so I shared it. So many people get high for so many reasons whether it is w pot, pills, or alcohol that no profile will fit a majority. I have always admired people, artist, and rebels who sought to expand their consciousness and think about life and apply their experience to the art of living. I love the here n now, but I also dig the big picture of life. Cheers as RVD says....

CrewC

@GS. I read about this study. Very interesting. Time to loose the stigma of a drug/mushroom and study it as it deserves to be. Thanks.

LMAO, Nice one Marc

+2

I see nothing wrong with "responsible use" of marijuana. I once did a reality show pilot that followed a law firm as they defended people charged with marijuana related crimes (possesion/etc.). One of the attorneys said that in his 10 years as a lawyer he has yet to see one case in which someone provoked a fight with another person or beat on their wives while under the influence of marijuana, alcohol on the other hand is legal and one of the main catalysts for belligerent crimes. Go figure.

There have been many valuable assertions made by proponents for the legalization of marijuana over the years, the most important of which IMHO is one involving property -- and the individual's "self" as property.

Thomas Szasz had some interesting things to say about this back in the early 90's in a work he titled "Our Right to Drugs: The Case for a Free Market" It's not a particularly fascinating read... though, nor is it particularly long. In any case, Szasz definitely makes some interesting points, quoting historical figures like James Madison, and John Locke, among others.

The problem with decriminalization on a federal level, at this point is that too many people would be out of a job, and too many "criminals" (I use that term loosely) would be released back into society, parts of which are already being crushed by unemployment and other economic burdens.

I believe eventually the Fed. Gov't will come around to honoring States rights in this respect, but it will be an agonizingly slow process. Until then, "don't do drugs" and "stay in school"... right?

~tt

" Some of the best recording sessions I've played on were under the influence "

maybe you like the sessions...

Actually, when I listen to the stuff today, and know which tunes were recorded sober and which ones weren't, I rather like the ones where there was pot involved. There was more experimentation going on in our jam sessions, and we were all on the same wavelength somehow. We have this 18 minute song called Gysnogyfunctuous that we recorded that we were never ever to re-create after we recorded it, and it was completely made up on the fly. It was a situation where we had 20 minutes of ADAT left, so we I just started a groove, and off we went. All we knew was "it's gonna be in D".

too many "criminals" (I use that term loosely) would be released back into society, parts of which are already being crushed by unemployment and other economic burdens.

?

It probably costs society a lot less to support someone whose only crime is possession with education, government jobs, and tax cuts that actually encourage businesses to expand and hire... than to keep them in prison.

You could say that some of them were criminalized while _in_ prison, but that's no excuse to keep perpetuating the problem.

?

It probably costs society a lot less to support someone whose only crime is possession with education, government jobs, and tax cuts that actually encourage businesses to expand and hire... than to keep them in prison.

You could say that some of them were criminalized while _in_ prison, but that's no excuse to keep perpetuating the problem.

Jay,

I was implying something very close to what you're saying here -- which is why I put the word "criminals" in "quotation marks"...

Granted, my sarcasm was subtle, but I think most readers picked up on that.

~tt

tt,

No problem with the quotes around 'criminals'.

It's just that these days, a lot of people use 'crushed by unemployment and other economic burdens' as an excuse to get more reactionary, As in: "Let's keep those guys in prison, so they're not competing for our jobs or going on welfare."

I didn't say they make sense.