Reefer. Any thoughts?

old school

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't offer any citations for this (so take it with a grain of salt), but many years back I read an article about a study under which several musicians performed both straight and then under substance influence (pot, IIRC).

Following their performances they were quizzed about how well they thought they had performed. To a person, they all were certain the "high" performances were definitely better. The performances were then played back for them in side-by-side comparisons. All the performers were astounded how the straight performances were superior in all cases -- timing, intonation, etc., etc.

this may be true about "playing" music (live) but not necessarily true about "writing" music.

I think people need to know "when" to use and when not to. I never show up on set under the influence of anything but I don't mind "teh herb" while doing post. alone. in my studio. not too far from a fridge...

:D

A friend of mine who's very pro-pot claims to know quite a few LA cops who imbibe on their off-hours, and also claims that they say they've arrested many drivers who had bad accidents while drunk. But never had to arrest a driver while stoned on pot.

Me, I think driving while texting should get the death penalty. Driving while impaired on pot or other drugs is extremely stupid, but texting is worse.

A friend of mine who's very pro-pot claims to know quite a few LA cops who imbibe on their off-hours, and also claims that they say they've arrested many drivers who had bad accidents while drunk. But never had to arrest a driver while stoned on pot.

Me, I think driving while texting should get the death penalty. Driving while impaired on pot or other drugs is extremely stupid, but texting is worse.

Oh yea, there has been quite a few studies on this and several documentaries done on the matter. THC is pretty better for you and safer all around that alcohol. It merely comes down to what they can make more money off in this country. And the way it played out, they can make more money off selling alcohol everywhere and putting people in jail for pot. But as you all no doubt heard california came close to making it completely legal and taxing the hell out of it, and its only a matter of time before they do pass that and then all other states begin adopting it because now the numbers have been run and they are aware of how much more money they can generate from it. Always about money, nothing else, as with everthing in this country, and every other for that matter.

In regard to texting while driving this scares me to no end, my daughter is big on texting and after receiving her first message I always ask if she's driving.

If seeing bad things happen while texting frightens you, do not watch this video. This was enough to make me never do it, period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's funny. In my circle of clients I often sit next to a Video Monkey that smokes a hit of the "CrizDizzel" every 2 or 3 hours at work. He's a total pro. Can't say I've ever seen him less than stellar doing the job. Great guy to work with n know. Someone should study him. A total original.

Personally I think that before whatever you put into your body/mind, you should consider and understand before you do it, and use the experience to learn something. Anything. Give it purpose is my motto if I had one.

What was I ........

CrewC

• 4 months later...

Having spent a good part of my life involved in the music industry, I can say with some certainty that marijuana does have a positive effect for certain types of people. Some of the best recording sessions I've played on were under the influence (I am not confirming or denying my use of anything).

Rally?

Pretty much every session I was ever on wether it was an assistant or producer, churned out the most unusable stuff, while people where high.

That being said, I coud care less. I think all drugs should be legal, and able to be purchased over the counter.

If somebody wants to sit at home stoned all day, that doesn't affect me one bit.

I grew up in Holland, where its pretty much legal. I started gojngvout to clubs and bars when I was 13.

I don't drink, smoke and have never done drugs.

It simply never appealed to me.

And as a result, I feel it has helped me in my gig as re-recording mixer. As I am extremely focused and work very fast, since I never destroyed teh few brain cells I have.

• 2 years later...

People are different. Biologically speaking. Some can handle and/or enjoy substances others cannot. I don't enjoy booze at all. Makes me feel sick and I don't like the buzz. I personally enjoy Cannabis and feel I manage it well. It helps me sleep and turn off my anxious brain at night. That said, never at work or when being a responsible adult is called for. Why would you want to be high for that anyway? At home after work or on the weekend, sure.

I have come across people who can't handle weed. They get all weird and crazy. Definitely not for them.

I also know people who have MS and swear by it.

Creativity is not created by doing drugs. Enhanced perhaps but creative types are already creative by nature.

Smoking anything is bad for you. So is too much TV, booze or red meat.

Be responsible and respectable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this report yesterday and was underwhelmed as usual by this study in that it seems to be a lot like other studies but with more pictures/scans of brains. I think its conclusion that there needs to be a lot more studies is the most valuable part of it. I think knowledge is power and we need to know as much as possible about everything we put into our bodies be it the air we breath, the water we drink, the GMO foods we eat, the booze we swill, the ecigs we inhale. These things should be studied without bias or interference from those with any agenda. I doubt alcohol, tobacco, soda pop, boner pills, sleeping pills, etc would ever of become legal if they were held to the same moral positions, superstitions, and fears as street drugs are held to.

Funny this old topic/thread came back to life at a time when marijuana is now legal in 3 states. Interesting time to be alive.

Also I have seen the DMT film "The Spirit Molecule". Fascinating topic that needs a well funded study IMO.

CrewC