Zaxcom Nomad - Real World Impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put this mystery to bed. I asked the customer of the first delivered unit to report any problems directly to us so we may fix them as quickly as possible. The last thing I want is to be the last person to know of any technical issue with our new product. So far so good.

We encourage as many user stories as customers want to put out.

Glenn

My burning question is how this machine holds up in heavy humidity or extreme cold? Does the display slow down like most crystal displays do?

Also I'm curious about inputs. I notice that there are 6 on the back, but what about the the 12 channel nomad? Does it have more xlr inputs? Or TA5 inputs?

I'm in line with getting a new recorder and I have been using the 788 on one show and have liked the ergonomics of it. The PFLs are really easy to access and the ability to change the HPF on the fly has come in handy for the show Come Dine With Me. Just curious about some of those aspects of the Nomad. I find Zaxcom's website very minimal in making me understand the machine better.

Also of course FAT 32 is the recorder's choice of recording making it cross platform to Apple and PC, but I've heard rumours that it doesn't behave as well for the post people whom are using Protools on Apple Machines. I'd love to hear what the whole flow is. It's one thing to record on set but if it's messy for post then I'm kind of wondering about it's viability.

Also I do a lot of heavy doc work which travels me to remote places in weird weathers. I'd love to know how it holds up in the worst of weathers.

Paul

My burning question is how this machine holds up in heavy humidity or extreme cold? Does the display slow down like most crystal displays do?

No exteme cold yet here in the northeast - but the other day Nomad sitting in my car for several hours 32 F outside fired up Nomad and screen looked fine.

Also I'm curious about inputs. I notice that there are 6 on the back, but what about the the 12 channel nomad? Does it have more xlr inputs? Or TA5 inputs?

All Nomads have 10 analog channels. Channels 7-10 are via the two TA5's. The TA5 can be used as camera returns or channel 7-10 analog inputs. Or any combination of the two.

Thought I'd better get in before the Senator rips you apart. There is lots of information on the inputs of the Nomad on the "It's Alive" thread. This topic has been well covered so you are best to read through the older post rather than having someone explain it again. But as a quick response, the input for the other tracks come in on the TA5 returns.

Also of course FAT 32 is the recorder's choice of recording making it cross platform to Apple and PC, but I've heard rumours that it doesn't behave as well for the post people whom are using Protools on Apple Machines. I'd love to hear what the whole flow is. It's one thing to record on set but if it's messy for post then I'm kind of wondering about it's viability.

Paul

Paul,

It records to MARF, then mirrors to a fat32 card. Same technology that's been used for years from the diva, to fusion, and now nomad. The files are a broadcast wave file, which work just fine in pro tools. Nomad in the future will be able to write off mp3 files as well with an 8 or 12 track unit.

Dig around, you'll find tons of answers here.

" report any problems directly to us so we may fix them as quickly as possible. "

exactly....

do you want to discuss the issue, or get it fixed.

HAT!

" how it holds up in the worst of weathers. "

That will become known as the Nomads get to encounter those conditions... It will no doubt also be reported!

" how it holds up in the worst of weathers. "

That will become known as the Nomads get to encounter those conditions... It will no doubt also be reported!

And also, Glenn has already answered in the "It's alive"-thread, according to him it will excel in those conditions... not quoting. and it's not so hard to imagine since there are no moving parts.

And sluggish LCD is bearable.

Thanks Jack for the reply. Do you know if Zaxcom plans to update the firmware to make this feature active in the future, or will the box need to go back to them? Also, since you're in the know, any ETA on a manual? I've sent a couple of emails to Zaxcom and haven't heard anything back. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much needed.

Thanks Jack for the reply. Do you know if Zaxcom plans to update the firmware to make this feature active in the future, or will the box need to go back to them? Also, since you're in the know, any ETA on a manual? I've sent a couple of emails to Zaxcom and haven't heard anything back. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much needed.

Enabling Zaxnet will take place via a simple firmware update - not sure of the time frame but shouldn't be that far off.

There is a preliminary manual written - which I believe is being delivered with new machines. If and when that is to be available on-line in not sure. One thing is as Nomad is evolving the manual also has to evolve.

Enabling Zaxnet will take place via a simple firmware update - not sure of the time frame but shouldn't be that far off.

There is a preliminary manual written - which I believe is being delivered with new machines. If and when that is to be available on-line in not sure. One thing is as Nomad is evolving the manual also has to evolve.

I got a written manual with my Nomad Six. It came with that and two internal battery sleds. I'm on the road with my Nomad right now in Tuscaloosa and have been using it for not even two days now. I've gotten comfortable with it very quickly thanks to help from Jack and a personal visit from Joel Jameson who owns a Fusion. So far I'm impressed with just how good it sounds. Lots of very clean gain and not much headphone amp hiss. I'm going to like all the flexibility and have been adjusting things on the fly as I get more and more familiar with it.

Bernie

Bernie,

Thanks for your initial feedback with the Nomad Six. One question though; could you be a little more specific about your statement "not much headphone amp hiss"? I would think the headphone quality would be pristine, similar or better than what we're all use to with our 442's/552's. Also, why did you lean towards the Six and not the Eight? Just curious!

Thanks!

-DD

" Any Nomad owners/beta testers use Zaxnet as an IFB yet? " + " any ETA on a manual? " + " Do you know if Zaxcom plans to update the firmware to make this feature " (all have been recently discussed)

welcome to jwsound...

may I suggest it would be a good idea to do some reading on the board, and trying the search for your questions?? the search function has been a bit wonky, but google crawls this sute regularly, so try google searching...

Bernie,

Thanks for your initial feedback with the Nomad Six. One question though; could you be a little more specific about your statement "not much headphone amp hiss"? I would think the headphone quality would be pristine, similar or better than what we're all use to with our 442's/552's. Also, why did you lean towards the Six and not the Eight? Just curious!

Thanks!

-DD

I didn't want to go overboard with praise since its my first few days with the Nomad. I'd say the headphone amp is cleaner than a 442 or even a 552. I got the six for budgetary reasons. Much of what I do has four to five people on camera at the most so I thought I'd start with six, and then if the need arises I can always upgrade. I like the machine a lot! It will be interesting to see how it evolves and that's one of things that convinced me to jump in.

Best,

Bernie

Bernie,

Forgetting about the recording function for a moment, how would you rate it strictly as a mixer vs a Sound Devices?

* Ease of control to accomplish any given task at hand...

* Sound quality...

* Speed

* Control-ability and adjust-ability under firing line conditions...

...Stuff like that. Thanks.

Bernie,

Forgetting about the recording function for a moment, how would you rate it strictly as a mixer vs a Sound Devices?

* Ease of control to accomplish any given task at hand...

* Sound quality...

* Speed

* Control-ability and adjust-ability under firing line conditions...

...Stuff like that. Thanks.

Hi John,

I only have time for a short answer but I'll go down the line and try to address each point.

* Ease of control to accomplish any given task at hand... Still getting used to it, but learning fast. Its so flexible I'm still learning how I want it set up.

* Sound quality... excellent

* Speed... auto trim works really well

* Control-ability and adjust-ability under firing line conditions... pretty good, but as I say still getting used to it. I've only had it a few days.

More when I have time.

Bernie

Did anyone collect some experience with the built in AA batteries? What is the battery life there in settings like:

- recording only

- recording with 2 phantom powered mics

- recording with phantom and fib (if that is available at the moment - dunno)

Thanks, Nevera

If you use internal batteries do not use alkalines. It draws too much juice. Use lithiums or NMIH rechargeables. Do not expect very much from the internal battery life. They are intended to be used more as a back up for the external power. I think a charged set would allow you to do a hot swap of external power. I've not tried that but I believe that was the intention.

Best,

Bernie