NABsters: REPORT!

Philip Perkins

There doesn't seem to be much buzz this year.  Asside from the red camera.  I would love to see a Sound Devices 6ch rec/mix or someone to fill the gap between Mackie and Cooper.  Maybe everyone is so excited about the new stuff they went out for drinks and forgot to let everyone know.

There doesn't seem to be much buzz this year.  Asside from the red camera.  I would love to see a Sound Devices 6ch rec/mix or someone to fill the gap between Mackie and Cooper

Sonosax has a new unit the SX4?. 6 channel recorder with 4 channel mixer built in for around $4500 that they say should be available in the fall. Could be just the item you're looking for.

Eric

I saw a mockup of the Fostex PD606.  It could be cool, very similar to the PD-6.  80 gig internal 1.8" drive, with simultaneous or mirrored recording to DVD-RAM (regular DVD-R burning may be possible too).  They expect to release in June and they're aiming for around $6000.  There's really no new technology here, they're basically taking components from existing products and putting them all in one box, which brings up my biggest hesitation: the thing is huge!  With two batteries snapped onto the bottom, it would be like wearing a VCR around your neck.  But for the price, I would still give it some consideration.

Brandon

I saw a mockup of the Fostex PD606.  It could be cool, very similar to the PD-6.  80 gig internal 1.8" drive, with simultaneous or mirrored recording to DVD-RAM (regular DVD-R burning may be possible too).  They expect to release in June and they're aiming for around $6000.  There's really no new technology here, they're basically taking components from existing products and putting them all in one box, which brings up my biggest hesitation: the thing is huge!  With two batteries snapped onto the bottom, it would be like wearing a VCR around your neck.  But for the price, I would still give it some consideration.

Brandon

For those who work exclusively from a cart, size and weight is not a problem. For the most part the 606 is a PD-6 with a full size DVD internal burner. I would have liked to see a CF slot also but it's not a deal breaker. At a $6k list and guessing about $5.4k street price it could be a real winner.

Eric

It definitely is a Fostex... would love to have seen a working version.  It is a bit on the big side -- that is everything but the LCD window (still pretty small)... speaking of -- with no real window for SD coming out with a bigger (6 or 8 track) multitracker, I bet Fostex sells quite a few of these.  The top DVD RAM drive door looks like a miniature version of some kind of heavily fortified entrance to a NORAD bunker.

It is really nice to actually meet so many people in person.  I'm sorry I missed out on Tuesday night. Having only arrived yesterday at noon, I have a lot to see today before this things over...  still haven't seen RED

--tt

Yes, I did check out the new shotgun from DPA. I spent some time at their booth telling them how pleased I was with the sound of the DPA's I just started using with my Zaxcom 900's. There had been some wiring fiascos from a tiny bit of mis-communication between, or amongst, DPA, Zaxcom and Coffey Sound, but it has all been sorted out now. The shotgun mic sounds very nice at least as much as I could tell with the incredible amount of ambient noise at the show (but isn't that one of the reaason's to use a "shotgun" you might say), and the build construction was superb. The rejection at the exact back of the mic is astonishingly good and the on-axis response is very smooth until you reach the side of the mic where it falls off rapidly, nearly matching the amount of attenuation at the back. The other thing is the mic is very small, shorter than the Schoeps and the Sanken CS3e, but not quite as short as the Sanken CS1. It is also so lightweight it is suprising that there is even anything inside. The 3 XLR pins at the bottom are definitely the heaviest part of the mic.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I am interested in the new fostex machine as well. Did Zaxcom have the new Deva 5.8 there?

I wish Fostex, Zaxcom, and Sound Devices would make it so the machines burned DVD-R's instead of RAM's. I like DVD_RAM, but for the little production work that I do on MOCAP shoots, I can't give the client a DVD-RAM, but I could give them a DVD-R. Right now I bring the machine back to Technicolor, dump the stuff off, and load it to their FTP. I'd rather just give them a DVD-R at the end of the day and be done with it. I know the Cantar can do DVD-R's, but I don't have the time to get up to speed on that machine. I do these MOCAP shoots maybe once or twice a month, and they are usually just one or two days, and I usually don't have a lot of time to prep, or learn a new machine.

-DAve

thanks Jeff. thats just what i feared. something else that I'll want but dont need.

and i bet that it matches nicely with the 4071s

Matches the rest of DPA's pricing as well ... the list price for the mic is $2000.00 (US). That's more than even the Schoeps shotgun.

-  JW

I am interested in the new fostex machine as well. Did Zaxcom have the new Deva 5.8 there?

I wish Fostex, Zaxcom, and Sound Devices would make it so the machines burned DVD-R's instead of RAM's. I like DVD_RAM, but for the little production work that I do on MOCAP shoots, I can't give the client a DVD-RAM, but I could give them a DVD-R. Right now I bring the machine back to Technicolor, dump the stuff off, and load it to their FTP. I'd rather just give them a DVD-R at the end of the day and be done with it. I know the Cantar can do DVD-R's, but I don't have the time to get up to speed on that machine. I do these MOCAP shoots maybe once or twice a month, and they are usually just one or two days, and I usually don't have a lot of time to prep, or learn a new machine.

-DAve

Yes the 5.8 was there.  Sound Devices is working on dvd-r.

Thanks to all those posting pictures from NAB. As I said, I really did not see a lot of stuff I didn't already know about, but it was a great social event as always. The r.a.m.p.s. party was terrific, really well attended (but Firefly's is almost too small for us now). Eric Toline, father of the annual r.a.m.p.s. party, couldn't make it but we all sang Happy Birthday to him over a cell phone connection (high tech phone patch it wasn't).

I did see one piece of vital equipment in person that I really liked: the Loon Audio fishpole! It is the ultimate fishpole "system" with every detail attended to, starting with extensive research on  the carbon fibre composition, aviation grade aluminum, excellent machining and a host of accessories to tailor the pole to your needs. The only downside is that they are going to be direct marketing, no dealers, so it may be difficult to see and touch before buying.

http://www.loonaudio.com/

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

hello everyone,

A few items I noticed:

WHITE sanken cos-11

POD rycote zep system ($350-$400) think K-ZEP

DEVA 5.8 (8 hardware knobs) fc slot etc.

DPA short shotgun mic ($2000 ??)

MIRANDA (psc) is reeeally close to release!

LOOM boom poles- (ya jeff, it would be nice to have them locally)

LECTRO- stereo slot rcvr  (you would need 2 tx's however)

RICSONIX- had this little dimmer contoller. if as a sound mixer you ever get that nasty dimmer buzz, just put in this little device and you are good to go. (well hand it the juicers and have them hook it up.)

Thanks to all those posting pictures from NAB. As I said, I really did not see a lot of stuff I didn't already know about, but it was a great social event as always. The r.a.m.p.s. party was terrific, really well attended (but Firefly's is almost too small for us now).

Eric Toline, father of the annual r.a.m.p.s. party, couldn't make it but we all sang Happy Birthday to him over a cell phone connection (high tech phone patch it wasn't).

And it was a great surprise that I thank everyone for. Next year NAB is April 14-17. I'll be there.

Eric

What I enjoy about NAB, besides meeting with many colleagues and the RAMPS party, is finding some new piece of equipment or gadget that makes me think of new and creative ways to do our job.

Yes, as Jeff reported it was kind of the same 'ol stuff' with a few tweaks to renew interest in a product.

But thanks to Michael Hoffman, I was directed to the Rosco booth where I looked at a product called LitePad.

They are flat panels of white led's that can be powered by 12 volts, drawing a tiny amount of amperage, but can light an entire shelf of equipment. Just stick them up under a magliner shelf or rack shelf and voila -- lots of light.

The smallest Litepad is 3"x3", about $56 and available at all Rosco dealers. (example Mole-Richardson)

It's a bright way to bring light to our work!

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

post-284-130815073557_thumb.jpg

Hi!

Nagra said soon it will have a 6 channel recorder that is the same size as the  Nagra 5, but with out the "hump" on top they have now.  Internal hard drive, with removable media.  (No, I do not know what type, (hope it's  DVD-RAM, DVD-R, ETC.)Also, they said that it will be $1,000.00 per channel, $7,000.00 MAX.  They said they will not make any money on it.  All alum, real alum knobs on the front!!  Sign me up for that one.

Coleman

Hey everyone - we just uploaded part one of our "NAB recap" video series, you can check out some interviews & demos with Lectro, Sanken, Fostex and more by clicking here.

Part 2 & 3 will be arriving later Monday afternoon and there's some very interesting content in there from Zaxcom, Ricsonix, Rycote and all the usuals suspects. Until then, have a great weekend.

Anybody get pricing from Howie or Glenn on the 5.8? 

The 5.8 carries a very attractive price tag of $12,500 - and that includes the DVD-RAM drive and new compact flash slot. You can check out some details & photos here.

Personally I like that darker anodizing on the aluminum. Very classy. The Deva 16 is pretty impressive too...