'BUSTED ASS' equipment woes

Matt Geldof

I was hired last minute to do some work with a local crewing company today. As per usual, they wanted me to use their kit. It's in wretched condition with a Shure fp 32 paired with an intermittent PSC cable, blown MDR-7506's, busted ass boom with broken internal coil, Softie slipping off the shotgun on an over sized shock mount and a pain in the ass Porta Brace strap that has been so worn down it resembles dental floss more than it does a proper harness.

I have used their kit before so I knew what to expect. Busted ass equipment aside, they are good people. I usually bring my own boom setup anyway. The one thing they have going for them, equipment wise, are Lectrosonics wireless systems. As luck would have it, one of them was busted too. Everything worked out in the end, but Woe is me ... I missed my meticulously maintained kit today.

Have you ever told them that their gear sucks and needs replacement? They're not doing their clients any favors or enhancing a mixers reputation by pushing their junk gear on a job.

Eric

Yes, I made a similar point and offered to come in as a paid consultant to update their audio kit, before working with it again.

does anyone find that sometimes when this happens, they could be counting on the sound mixer to just say "F-it, i'll use this piece of my own gear" to replace theirs, and in the end they get a recording that doesn't have occasional dropouts or crackle or hiss, and it's improved.

when i talk to my friend who gets stuck in those situations and he ends up throwing in a piece of his gear just to get a decent job done.

i guess the decision factor is - are they good people that are just struggling?, or, do i feel like i'm being taken for a ride?

P.

I have one company I work for that won't pay for my eng rig because they own a like kind rig themselves. I won't use it just because I never know what works and what doesn't or what's broken this time. It's a case of rode hard, put away wet. I would rather be known for not having bad sound than throwing in the towel and use the junk just to do the job.

I mostly do the jobs with them because they are usually interesting fun jobs that are over in a couple of hours. Most of them are for a network and we know what kind of money they pay for sound kits.

I use my kit because I know I can get it done. Better wireless, full size stable blimp & boom, newer mixer and no cables running all over.

Now if the company doesn't have any equipment then that's a different story. Yes, I have a double standard but I have worked with the above for years.

Scott......

The first time I got in a pinch using somebody else's pieces-of-carp gear, I gave it up.

Felt it stuck to me like fish poop.

What's the doctor say? "Then don't do that any more."

Yup.

Speaking of which, let us speak of filling in for a colleague on their gear... My colleagues have great stuff and its always in good order. I can and do do it from time to time. But boy, is it ever stressful and requires a lot of brain power and guts. No? I liken it to cooking a holiday dinner for the King in an unfamiliar kitchen. Everything's logically placed, stored, accessible, but it takes a little more time and lots and lots more attention.

If the setup uses Zax wires, I show up with my lav box, rigging kit, and headphones. A head lamp if night EXT.

-- Jan

• 3 months later...

Are you by chance in Georgia? That company sounds just like a company I know of that has pretty much the same gear/issues.

I just did a promo commercial and they wanted me to use their gear. Luckily I was able to get a prep day to properly setup everything because there stuff was a mess with cables and batteries all over the place.

Nicole