3D (2 RED Epics) Running 47.98fps

Scotty What

I have a shoot in a couple of weeks where the camera dept wants to run at 47.98fps. I am currently awaiting a "test cut" that we shot the other day so I can see issues in real time during post but wanted to ask what workflow other productions may be using.

My two parts are; what specs should audio be recorded at to ease the possible post headaches (sync issus) when recording picture at 47.98 and if the picture is recorded at 47.98fps then how does audio sync with picture at video village for preview/playback?

Seems to me that audio can't be recorded at a higher frame rate and then pulled down in post without it sounding weird no matter what the TC fps is set to. I would normally treat this as an "offspeed" (MOS) shot but now the entire project has been proposed with this frame rate. I'll be completing the audio post and I don't want to ADR the whole thing (no matter what the length).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

IIRC, 'The Hobbit' is being shot in a similar manner. Tony Johnston was on here talking about it earlier in the year, and gave his workflow. Try searching for that, but I think the film was shot at 48fps, and they were editing in a 24fps time base. I'm not sure of the exact numbers (23.98 or 24 etc) but his timecode was set to HALF the camera frame rate, meaning sync was every other frame...

Yes, the trick there is trying to find out are they shooting at 48.00fps or 47.952fps. It's the same deal as integer shoots: if they shoot at 24fps (or 48fps), run timecode at 24.00 or 30ndf. If they shoot at 23.976 (or 47.952, run timecode at 23.976 (aka 23.98) or 29.97ndf. I'm assuming the camera is running with no internal code, since -- right now -- there's no such thing as 48fps TC.*

And absolutely do a workflow test. I used to tell our post clients, "roll camera and sound for three minutes, show moving slate numbers for ten seconds then clap at the head, then at the very end, open the slate, show moving numbers for 10 seconds and do a tail clap." That way, we can see precisely if it's drifting and how many frames. If it's dead-on for 3 minutes, it'll generally be dead on for 10 minutes or even longer. When it does go out, you're looking at about 3 frames a minute, so 9 frames out is very, very easy to see.

--Marc W.

* It'll be interesting to see if Jim Cameron's people come up with a 60-frame TC for the new Avatar films.