Pro Tools 10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's New

• Speed up editing and mixing with Clip Gain, and easily adjust and match gain levels, pre-mixer
  • Use multiple audio formats in a session—including interleave—without file duplication
  • Record and master higher resolution sound with more headroom in 32-bit floating-point format
  • Get great responsiveness on slower hard drives with the enhanced disk handler
  • Record in low-latency mode, with direct monitoring when using third-party audio interfaces
  • Get the sound of System 5 console EQ and dynamics with the Avid Channel Strip plug-in
  • Get access to over 500 additional Pro Tools commands when using EUCON controllers
  • Work more easily with AudioSuite-rendered clips with reverse processing, handles, and more
  • Create extra long-format projects for sequential versioning with the extended 24-hour timeline
  • Open fade-heavy sessions faster and get better responsiveness with real-time fades
  • Export mixes directly to SoundCloud to share and promote your music to the world

from avid.com

I ordered it, and I am an inveterate ProTools hater. Avid has really listened to some complaints about PT and in many ways overcome the old Digidesign arrogance re: "not invented here" features like clip gain, mixed format use and autofades. I'm going to give it a serious trial--really the first I've done w/ PT since PT 4.

phil p

The new features that PT10 has are a big offering. And yes, many other programs have these already. But...PT is still the industry standard. I tried using Nuendo 5-6 years back, and thought it was a nice program - but I still felt after a few projects that I'd rather be working on PT. This might have changed with the newer versions of Nuendo - but the truth is that at the time, I was trying to get surround up and running without having to shell out for PTHD.

Still no multiple region bins damnit. I saw the demo at AES, and went straight up to the presenter after and simply said: "Bins?"

And his response was: "I know...people have been asking for that for 15 years"

I went to PT9 on my home LE rig, felt kind of ripped off by it. But I am looking forward to upgrading to 10 on my studio rig, which is still on PT8.

Phil, so have you been using PT4 this whole time, or do you use something else? Reaper?

The new features that PT10 has are a big offering. And yes, many other programs have these already. But...PT is still the industry standard. I tried using Nuendo 5-6 years back, and thought it was a nice program - but I still felt after a few projects that I'd rather be working on PT. This might have changed with the newer versions of Nuendo - but the truth is that at the time, I was trying to get surround up and running without having to shell out for PTHD.

Still no multiple region bins damnit. I saw the demo at AES, and went straight up to the presenter after and simply said: "Bins?"

And his response was: "I know...people have been asking for that for 15 years"

I went to PT9 on my home LE rig, felt kind of ripped off by it. But I am looking forward to upgrading to 10 on my studio rig, which is still on PT8.

Phil, so have you been using PT4 this whole time, or do you use something else? Reaper?

Uh, no. ProTools was very fired here when they went to PT 5 and dropped all TC support for the cheaper systems, had one (that's 1, folks) level of undo and sounded like crap. (Reaper came along about 15 years after PT 4.) I've mostly used Sadie since then, but thought that the new features of PT warranted a go. Over on the DUC there are lots of people unhappy with how expensive the upgrade is for HD/TDM users, though...

phil p

Yes they now have a 24 hour timeline.

I have been using pro tools since version 6. I think that Avid is doing a good job upgrading and bringing us features that Digidesign failed to do for so many years. Yes they are a company that wants to make money - as everyone does. I myself have no problem upgrading a piece of software every year or so if the upgrades warrant it.

They have only owned Pro Tools for about 2 years now. I have a feeling we are in for some surprises in the future. Until then, I love Pro Tools and am loving PT10!

I have been using pro tools since version 6. I think that Avid is doing a good job upgrading and bringing us features that Digidesign failed to do for so many years. Yes they are a company that wants to make money - as everyone does. I myself have no problem upgrading a piece of software every year or so if the upgrades warrant it.

They have only owned Pro Tools for about 2 years now. I have a feeling we are in for some surprises in the future. Until then, I love Pro Tools and am loving PT10!

Avid has owned Digidesign (and therefore Pro Tools) since 1995 but dropped the Digidesign name when it put most all of its products under the Avid banner a couple of years ago.

Doh! As god is my witness, I just got hit with that when importing a file a few days ago to PT9. I had to slap my head and say, "oh yeah... can't go over Hour 12." So stupid.

I'm reluctant to upgrade because everything's working at the moment. PT is so touchy, I usually wait 6 months to let things settle down.

--Marc W.

What is clip gain?

Clip gain is the global gain for a specific clip.

In Nuendo it's a bar thingy you grab onto (on a clip, or region as it's called in PT) and increase or decrease the gain of the clip. Volume automation can be "underneath" it. It only adjust the global gain...

And it's been in Nuendo and Cubase for Gawd knows how long. Pro Tools just reinvented the wheel.

A note about the last two versions of Nuendo. Versions 4 and 5 added some fantastic new tools over previous versions. So, for folks who tried it out years ago I would highly recommend taking a look at Nuendo 5.

One thing that PTHD still has over other software is the ability to process audio on the cards and not via the computers CPU. While Nuendo on a fast machine with a hefty amount of RAM can easily achieve under 3ms delay while recording live inputs it is noticeable when the delay gets above 3ms.

However, when it comes to just mixing you can put your buffer settings higher which achieves a lightening fast response time on the audio.

If you're doing audio to picture I would also highly recommend getting an Aja or Blackmagic card to handle your video playback.

I don't understand how you could make without it all this time!?

It's called automation. Highlight the clip, adjust the gain.

For me, clip gain adds two places for me to set one gain setting, so it's more of a complication than a benefit. Maybe I'm just stuck in my old workflow ways. We'll see. I'll be upgrading to PT 10 in the next month most likely.

Clip gain makes matching levels of Dialog a breeze. You can set the volume of the entire clip or set break points in the clip to change the volume of the clip. Drawing in the clip gain is exactly like you know how to do with regular Automation. The difference is visual. As you change the clips gain, the waveform is redrawn to match. So if you have two characters that you are editing, you can visually match volumes then any fine tuning you want to do can be done via regular volume control. In addition, you can convert Clip gain automation into regular automation and vis versa. You can also "Render" out the clip gain changes to make them permanent. The fun really starts when you are using the new real time crossfades along with clip gain.. You can normalize dialog much faster now than you could before. PT10 really was targeted for Post guys and I for one Love that feature..