Comtek Interference

berniebeaudry

I've experienced complete intermittent signal loss due to intermod / rf interference -- yes, normally there is some kind of signal present through the interference, but on occasion, depending on the circumstances, there can be a complete loss of signal. The filtered cable John describes might be worth a look.

~tt

Have any of you experienced your Comtek signal completely cutting out due to proximity to another transmitter of a totally different frequency? If so, do you know of any workarounds? I'd love to keep everything a little tighter together in the bag.

I had the same issue - the only work around I found was to physically move the Comtek to the other side of the bag. But moving it wasn't that big of a deal so I didn't explore further.

Glad the topic came up again. Even with the filtered cable from Comtek I get interference from the D-4. Physical separation was the only solution I've found so far. The D-4 is in the front of the bag, and the Comtek is on the left side of the bag. Its in one of the Petrol pouches. Additonally routing the cable around the back side of the bag, opposite from where the D-4 tx is located helps too. This is with the Comtek supplied cable.

Bernie

Glad the topic came up again. Even with the filtered cable from Comtek I get interference from the D-4. Physical separation was the only solution I've found so far. The D-4 is in the front of the bag, and the Comtek is on the left side of the bag. Its in one of the Petrol pouches. Additonally routing the cable around the back side of the bag, opposite from where the D-4 tx is located helps too. This is with the Comtek supplied cable.

Bernie

Hey Bernie,

That's exactly what I wound up doing -- those little Petrol pouches are great for just that purpose. Just out of curiosity, Have you experimented with different frequency settings on the Comtek? I'm sure you have, but i felt it was worth a mention... Actually, disregard... I just saw in one of your previous posts that you have tried this. Sorry for not reading thoroughly...

~tt

FWIT: I have used the Lectro D4 system with both the Comtek 216 system, as well as in the 174 mHz and 191 mHz band, with no problems betwen systems. If you are using the Comtek M72 transmitters, make SURE that you have RF suppression on the audio input connections!

When you say rf suppression are you referring to the supplied Comtek cablling, or did you put something custom together?

http://db.tt/Sn9s2ZRz

Hey folks the link here is to a pdf file of an assembly instruction sheet Comtek emailed to me once when i was asking about this same issue myself.

You'll see that it shows two inductors, one each, in-line with both the hot lead and the shield as well as a small disk capacitor across the two. This is all installed on the mixer side of the cable.

Is this the RF protected cable that everyone is referring to?

Thanks, Derek

http://db.tt/Sn9s2ZRz

Hey folks the link here is to a pdf file of an assembly instruction sheet Comtek emailed to me once when i was asking about this same issue myself.

You'll see that it shows two inductors, one each, in-line with both the hot lead and the shield as well as a small disk capacitor across the two. This is all installed on the mixer side of the cable.

Is this the RF protected cable that everyone is referring to?

Thanks, Derek

Yes. This config has been around since the Nagra days.

phil p

• 4 years later...

so after four years....I'm wondering what are the solutions now days ?

My comtek 216 in the bag gets this noise as well from my zax TX and zax IFB in the same bag,physical distance did make it better, and every time I put my hand on my comtek TX(already in a separated distance with other TX) that pitch sound goes away and I pull my hand off the comtek,that noise comes back...i'm powering the comtek from its own 9v batt.

any thoughts ? 

thank you all very much 

best

Cloud