Directorial Debut

Guest Mick

This last weekend, (14th and 15th April, '07) I directed my first dramatic piece, a 10 minute short that I co-wrote with a guy I've never met. We shot on 2 DVX 100s at 24p and it was crewed by guys from our show who gave of their time and energy just to help me out. They worked hard and gave me more than I had any right to expect. Incredible support. We had great food (Tony's catering) and a really good time. Shooting down at the real LA crime lab for two days gave me an insight into the real forensic scientists that investigate crimes so horrific and visceral that they don't make the news for fear of scaring everyone out of town and lowering real estate values. These men and women are phenomenal and couldn't have been more helpful. We shot some great footage and now I shall capture it to my computer, bin it and edit it in Adobe Premiere Pro in my small editing suite at home, and then show it to some influential people who may or may not give me the opportunity to side step to a different career ladder and expand my professional horizons.

I present all this relatively useless information as a representation of the interesting times in which we live. I have written a script with a co-writer I met online, crewed a 10 minute short dramatic video with guys that I work with 9 months of the year, and I'll post produce it at my house.

I guess it's cathartic to write all this down and express my gratitude to the guys that helped me, even though they'll never read it here.

One of the actors, who is also the tech advisor on our show and a good friend of mine looks at life this way after being in the sheriff's dept., and in the LA crime lab for years and years.

"I've seen the depths of human depravity and the extremes of man's inhumanity to man. I could have let it sour me and drank myself into a pseudo comfort zone, but I chose to look at each day as a gift and to maximize its potential on a daily basis. I choose to see the good in everyone and to give them the good in me. You never know when your time could come suddenly and unexpectedly, so live life while you can. Don't wait for anything."

This was on the day we heard about the tragic shooting at Viginia Tech.

God Bless the families and I'm sure I speak for us all when I extend regret and sympathy to them.

This was on the day we heard about the tragic shooting at Viginia Tech.

God Bless the families and I'm sure I speak for us all when I extend regret and sympathy to them.

My pitiful home team did the right thing yesterday. For the 2nd inning, all of the Nationals came out wearing Tech ballcaps. Blacksburg is pretty close to DC, maybe 4 1/2 hours driving out to where no busses run. As karma payback, the Nats are no longer in last place in the NL East. Something I didn't expect to see this season....

JG

PS I've done my days this year on a short for one of my favorite director/cameraman. Nice to do a show for fun and how it should be done....

I edited this for spelling and to add the comment about the short film.

Wow Mick, thats great, congratulations. It sounds alot more 1st class the way you did it what with "Tonys" and all, than the ones I've worked on. It speaks volumes about you that your CSI crew members who must be dog tired at this point in time, would give up a wekend for your film....  Your friend in the sherrifs dept has it right in my book, it really is up to you how you live your life. I hope when your done with the movie, it gets you a job. Also please post it so all us sound bro's and sisters can watch it. First Steve Morrow, and now you directing, looks like some new people will be moving up in the sound world.

CrewC