Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

I just decided to always have all 8 of my channels enabled for recording on my Nomad.

I worked a very challenging high end reality and it took me a long time to change recording tracks.

I had to go and disable mirror option in order to change mirror recording tracks enable.

So I rather waist drive space and deliver empty tracks then deal with enabling/disabling mirror in order to adjust my recording tracks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the reality gig on which i work, Post often does not want empty card tracks from me, but since I cannot record-enable new tracks while recording, this forces me to stop down if someone new enters the scene. It can really drag down the scene I everyone has to hold just so I can stop/enable/restart the recording. This was an issue on my 788 as well as my Nomad (which I am absolutely in love with, BTW).

For the reality gig on which i work, Post often does not want empty card tracks from me, but since I cannot record-enable new tracks while recording, this forces me to stop down if someone new enters the scene. It can really drag down the scene I everyone has to hold just so I can stop/enable/restart the recording. This was an issue on my 788 as well as my Nomad (which I am absolutely in love with, BTW).

For the reality gig on which i work, Post often does not want empty card tracks from me, but since I cannot record-enable new tracks while recording, this forces me to stop down if someone new enters the scene. It can really drag down the scene I everyone has to hold just so I can stop/enable/restart the recording.

+1

I just decided to always have all 8 of my channels enabled for recording on my Nomad.

I worked a very challenging high end reality and it took me a long time to change recording tracks.

I had to go and disable mirror option in order to change mirror recording tracks enable.

So I rather waist drive space and deliver empty tracks then deal with enabling/disabling mirror in order to adjust my recording tracks.

Good argument for mono files instead of poly WAVs. Post can just toss the empty files, but they are rolling in case you have to add another lav mid scene.

I think that the fact Deva and Fusion exist does not make the keyboard (for editing metadata properly) on the Nomad unnecessary.

On Deva and Fusion, the touchscreen is enough for entering that key data, Nomad or any other recorder without a touchscreen, needs a keyboard IMO. Metadata must be right and correct while you work. And remirror should be automatic in case you correct it. For me that's real on set today.

I don't know a Nomad yet, but the lack of a keyboard is mostly a worry for notes. Track names etc not as big a deal, but we "take notes" while running and gunning. I use the screen all the time on my Fusion, and even with that machine, I have looked for a micro USB keyboard to help makes my notes more useful.

I've also pondered trying an app on an iPod touch that would at least be in rough time of day sync. That would only apply for certain jobs, but kind of an option. I would hate to lose the automatic sound report in the daily folder. Some jobs I just hand the CF card to somebody that downloads it. Some jobs I don't even have to bring a laptop, so adding a sound report creates another task at wrap. One of those things I really love about the Fusion.

Good argument for mono files instead of poly WAVs. Post can just toss the empty files, but they are rolling in case you have to add another lav mid scene.

I've been asked to record mono files for the show I'm on right now, quite likely for that reason and easy access to specific character iso tracks. Probably the first time I've ever not recorded poly files.

I've been asked to record mono files for the show I'm on right now, quite likely for that reason and easy access to specific character iso tracks. Probably the first time I've ever not recorded poly files.

Interesting.... I'd like to know more about this.

What would be the benefit of Poly files over Mono if you are recording 8 tracks? It seems like having easier access to ISO tracks is the smarter move for everyone - including post.

Hi and welcome...

" I'd like to know more about this. "

there have been several discussions here on jwsoundgroup, try some searching (make sure you select "forums" from the drop down to the right of your search terms...

As has been well established here, the search function on this site leaves a lot to be desired (I would have you search references to this fact but, well... )

I of course googled my question first, but an answer - from this forum - did not show up and I wanted to hear answers from the experiences of the people here, and in very relevant regards to this topic, which is currently being discussed.

I dont think I wasted anyone's time with my question, but forgive me if I have.

Cheers,

Evan

It kills me that the folder names are so short...

AFAIK, this is a limitation that has to do with the way the Deva, Fusion and Nomad writes files, file system, etc.

It's a low price for the safety it provides.

Some time ago those limitations were even more restricting.

I would accept any limitation of that type if the recorder will offer higher reliability

Yep I always leave all my mirror tracks enabled all the time and just toggle the primary tracks as needed. Saves a bit of time.

On Deva and Fusion every crosspoint in a matrix will use processor power, no idea if this is true for the Nomad.

On Deva and Fusion if you want to accelerate mirroring you can disable any cross point you are not using (input/track assignments, track/mirror ass., input/output ass., etc) to free some processing power.

If Nomad behaves similarly just keep it in mind in case you feel you need more processor power for some other duty (effects, more tracks, whatever)

I do this all of the time. It's a very important basic setting that should be described in the manual. Everybody should know this.

I think it should be made clear that yes, this is a great way to keep things neat and tidy on the mirror card, but if you happen to forget

to enable whatever track on the primary card nothing will be written to the mirror card for that and all subsequent takes. As a safety, since I usually only record up to 5 tracks, I leave them enabled on the primary card and toggle them as needed to the mirror.

Anyone using rechargeables with their Nomad??? If so, which brand and output are they? I called Zaxcom asking which mA batteries I should get and was told to buy the highest I can find. That answer didn't sound very conclusive to me so I figured I'd ask everyone here.

Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I just bought some ERX1TCD's and was told that my firmware needs to be updated due to a timecode drift issue. How bad of a problem is this? I'm not able to update my ERX with my Nomad so I have to go to my vendor to see if they can help.