Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In V4 the AutoChange feature is a nice start but it is still a massive waste of time to be asked to turn off mirroring before changin the primary record folder.

At the very least, Nomad should turn it off automatically when I change to a new primary record folder.

And if really necessary it can splash an info screen to tell me that has happened.

Senator - The reason I asked specifically if others were having the compressor setting not latching issue with v. 4 is that deep owl was the only reporter of this phenomenon at the time I read the post.

Jack Norflus' helpful response didn't delineate whether or not Howy was aware of all user's of v. 4 having the problem or just deep owl. That is why I asked for clarification.

So Senator, are you reporting that your Nomad, running v. 4, also has the compressor setting non-latch issue?

Is there a sensible reason that I am missing not to have the auto trim diamonds on the card display?

I like to use that screen primarily because it is the only one that displays track names. Any time I want to check my auto trim

levels I have to scroll through all the pages to get back to the track name display.

Would it be possible to make the *Star* button function as the headphone select? Whereas when you hold it down for a second

it would scroll backwards?

Is there a sensible reason that I am missing not to have the auto trim diamonds on the card display?

I like to use that screen primarily because it is the only one that displays track names. Any time I want to check my auto trim

levels I have to scroll through all the pages to get back to the track name display.

Would it be possible to make the *Star* button function as the headphone select? Whereas when you hold it down for a second

I have recently raised this idea on zaxcom's forums about being able to actually name inputs like we can tracks. If you're using the ENG screen to have output/auto trim visual/pan control/vFader control, you currently only see "input 1, or input 4, etc..etc..". In the tracks screen you see your track names, but lose everything visual about outputs/auto trim visual, and then no pan control or vFader control. These two screens need to find a way to meld together, and the best way I can see is to be able to actually name the inputs.

soundmachine, you bookmark the input page onto the slate or com button. see manual. Plus, since you can route multiple inputs to a track, where would the diamond be on that track? not practical.

Zack, I think named inputs could be very confusing. I think it's good that only card tracks can be named, so I know right away on which page I am.

Zaxcom, I would welcome a guide on using the Mix-8 with Nomad, since on the Mix-8 manual there are only instructions for use with Deva.

Who uses Z fader assign?

When I use Z fader assign the gain is being controlled by the fader. Is it possible to have the same gain control as regular A and D assing where menu button changes the gain on the TX and the fader changes internal mixer level?

Apparently not - see post #265 and onwards.

If it were possible, it would be great.

This is already planned.

You can scroll back using the headphone knob. Just push and hold.

Zack, I think named inputs could be very confusing. I think it's good that only card tracks can be named, so I know right away on which page I am.

I totally disagree, technically they have a name right now "input x" and it's already confusing (when trying to relate to tracks). The ability to name input and track will allow a user to program what ever combination they desire TO ELIMINATE CONFUSION for themselves aka: "customization". Not to mention there's already a color scheme difference between an input (blue) and card track (pink).

Hmmmmm. On my Nomad and Fusion, input one is almost always the boom, the other imputs are always TX1, TX2, TX3 and if I have enough info, or won't be hot swapping while rolling, they will become "TX1 Sandy" "TX2 Brutus" etc. My screens flip around a little because when I am looking at disc tracks, track one is a mix track (Which I *usually* use). If I flip to an input screen, the boom is now on top and everything shuffles up a position. Input2 is going to be TX1 in my case, and not in the position it was on the other screen. The Nomad is for bag use, and we are often changing things on the fly, and have to repo TXs as situations play out, all while we are still recording.

I see what Christian is saying by naming disc tracks. I suppose if you are doing ISO's, and swapped TX3 from Cecil to Brett, you would then have to rename the input AND the disc track. You can't have disc tracks automatically take the input name, because a mix track's name would become mud.

That might not be as easy to sort out as I hoped. I would use the other screens more if they had the assigned names. Especially as you add more channels of wireless in a hectic run+gun bag situation, it can get hectic.

In your example Johnpaul (and i appreciate it), if you changed a TX like that, you would most likely want to rename your track name too (when doing ISO's), so how difficult/time consuming would it be to change your input label from say ( 3-Cec, to 3-Bret ) once you got the time? Honestly this would require less work than changing a tape labeling or physical cheat sheet in the bag (2 hands). Think options people.... remember the whole file naming debate we had? Some people like to use the zax naming structure, and others want to have an SD way of naming files. Well, now Nomad users have both and all is well.