Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nomad update - I'm currently in the process of beta testing auto mix software. Things are looking pretty good so far. More updates as things progress.

Do you know if this will be strictly an AutoMix update, or will there be any other minor tweaks such as presets, autotrim bubbles on card tracks, screen changes, etc.?

" I'm currently in the process of beta testing auto mix software. "

maybe Zaxcom needs some additional beta-testers ??

especially for something special that is not something you normally need to deploy.

I am not the only one currently beta testing this.

And actually Zaxcom may potentially release a beta version of auto mix as early as next week for all to play with. 

We have just released Nomad version 6.0 on the Zaxcom user group. This version has the auto mixer feature enabled. The auto mixer will auto mix up to 18 channels of audio from the Nomads 10 analog inputs and the 8 AES inputs.  In the Nomad auto mixer home screen 4 virtual faders are provided so that 10 analog inputs can be easily controlled.  The auto mixer will operate on all Nomads except the Nomad Lite and Nomad 4. 

Glenn

On the MAXX we use the tone from the MAXX to calibrate the input gain trim so that each step is exactly 1 dB. Each input has  an analog gain element in the circuit channel that normally differs by a few dB. This calibration effectively calibrates the input trim that is in itself is a calibration. It may make you feel good but there is no difference when operating the MAXX other then the illusion that the input gains are equal to achieve an identical tone level on each of the input channels.

But hey, if its a popular feature I am all for it.

Glenn

On the MAXX we use the tone from the MAXX to calibrate the input gain trim so that each step is exactly 1 dB. Each input has  an analog gain element in the circuit channel that normally differs by a few dB. This calibration effectively calibrates the input trim that is in itself is a calibration. It may make you feel good but there is no difference when operating the MAXX other then the illusion that the input gains are equal to achieve an identical tone level on each of the input channels.

But hey, if its a popular feature I am all for it.

Glenn

Illusion or not, being able to set identical trim levels with the input level numbers is very useful, especially for stereo (or multichannel) mics.

Well, how does it work? Do you just set the gains up so they're all the same (using a tone plug or something) and say 'calibrate at this point'?

The discrepancy between input trims on the Zaxcom gear (except their wireless, funnily enough) is a major bug-bear of mine.

Before I had to remember each channel trim level then calculate in my head and adjust tx gain and the rest of the gain stages. Now all my trim gain is the same on each channel feeding from my receivers. It is a major improvement that went by unnoticed. IMHO one of the most important one...

I wish I could have 8 channel aes while running zaxnet so I would not bother with gain stages but unfortunately nomad only has 6 channels "'3 pairs" aes when zaxnet is enabled. That is preventing me from using aes on nomad. I use aes on maxx and would love to use it on nomad " especially considering that I am in the process of upgrading my TXs to never clip version". Never clip is great and has to be used in nomad when you go analog in or even better on the wireless tx.

I'd be curious to know what settings Jack uses on the automix. Do you feel that the standard setting is good or you rather tweak some numbers?

I am still playing with my settings to fine tune them. I haven't had the opportunity to have an actual shoot with multiple microphones where I can take full advantage of Auto-Mix yet.

I am not sure what the default settings are but this is what I am currently using:

Mode: Post Fade

Mic On threshold -23dB

Attack 1ms

Decay 90ms

Noise reduction (will vary depending on the room) Anywhere between 0 and -5dB

Attenuation -30dB

So far these setting are OK for now - but the more I use it in real word settings the finer I will tweak.

Hi Rado,

Did you do this on 5.23 or on 6.00? i am not able to get the nomad into the state described in the instructions, running 6.00

There is an issue with version 6.0 with auto calibrate - Howy has fixed this and version 6.01 is on the forum. Use only 6.01 if you want to auto calibrate.