Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something or is there no way to view/browse recorded files? If I push the playback button I hear takes being played back, but I can't figure out how to view the recorded files. Is there no file browser of any kind on the Nomad?

Another thing: TC display should default to playback TC when in playback.

Jack, coming when? I have a two day shoot next week on which I want to debut my Nomad. If I can't check my recorded tracks "on the day" with the Nomad, I'll have to rebuild and use my 442/744t rig, which will be a complete PITA, not to mention feeling like c**t*s *nt*rr*pt*s.

How are you dealing with not being able to browse files with the current Nomad?

BTW I just weighed my bag and it's 8 pounds lighter with the Nomad. I went from 23.8 to 15 pounds.

Thanx

Jack, coming when? I have a two day shoot next week on which I want to debut my Nomad. If I can't check my recorded tracks "on the day" with the Nomad, I'll have to rebuild and use my 442/744t rig, which will be a complete PITA, not to mention feeling like c**t*s *nt*rr*pt*s.

How are you dealing with not being able to browse files with the current Nomad?

BTW I just weighed my bag and it's 8 pounds lighter with the Nomad. I went from 23.8 to 15 pounds.

Thanx

Software is being written daily - and some things take longer than others. So with out meaning to sound like an ass they are done when they are done.

You can still play back files in Nomad. Any detailed browsing I need to do I just put the CF card in my laptop.

I'm a little confused regarding the 'virtual faders' for channels 7-10. Just wandering how this works? Is it not possible to say switch banks like on a digital mixer (Yamaha 01V) so that faders 1-4 now become 7-10 or something. If anyone could shed some light on how this works out in the field that would be great!

I'm a little confused regarding the 'virtual faders' for channels 7-10. Just wandering how this works? Is it not possible to say switch banks like on a digital mixer (Yamaha 01V) so that faders 1-4 now become 7-10 or something. If anyone could shed some light on how this works out in the field that would be great!

Currently you can only adjust the level of inputs 7-10 via the on-screen virtual faders. The 6 physical knobs cannot be used for this, although I suspect this may change in the future - such an option should be a simple firmware update. There have been comments made regarding an add-on four fader unit for direct fader control of those inputs, but nothing exists yet.

Mark O.

To access the "virtual faders" select the following home screen meter menu:

Inputs 7-10 (which are the TA5) inputs can now be adjusted. If you press the menu knob the blue and white "fader" will be hi-lighted. Then by turning the menu knob you will see the "fader" move to the right or left - which will increase or decrease the input level. Then press the menu knob and the next "fader will be hi-lighted.

post-1067-0-30822300-1321103792.png

Glenn was helpful on the phone last night when I couldn't figure out how to turn phantom on. (must be mic level, duh.)

One more suggestion: on the bus routing screen, make phase inversion a "long-hold". AFAIK it wouldn't be common and I would like to not click 4 times to turn a selection off. Also, E and O for prE and pOst instead of X and P.

One more suggestion: on the bus routing screen, make phase inversion a "long-hold". AFAIK it wouldn't be common and I would like to not click 4 times to turn a selection off.

Phase inversion is normally set to off - so that you don't have to toggle thru the choices 4 times.

To turn phase inversion on or off -

While in the bus routing matrix briefly press the star key to enable or dis-enable the phase inversion. If you are seeing phase inversion hit the star key and you will only have to toggle thru "X" or "P".

Phase inversion is normally set to off - so that you don't have to toggle thru the choices 4 times.

To turn phase inversion on or off -

While in the bus routing matrix briefly press the star key to enable or dis-enable the phase inversion. If you are seeing phase inversion hit the star key and you will only have to toggle thru "X" or "P".

So right now I have to click through either just X, P or, after pressing the star key: X, P, Xphase, Pphase.

Wouldn't it be simpler and quicker to click through just X and P respectively Xphase and Pphase, with the star activating or deactivating phase inversion on the selected X or P? (...read this twice please...)

just for google sake i'm post how to update nomad software since i had to dig through all of those pages from previous posts to find Jack's post. kind of boggles my mind that zaxcom doesn't include a text file or anything with their downloads...

from the Zaxcom web site download the appropriate software version and save it on a CF card. Put the card in the mirror drive, power on Nomad while holding down the star button. About a minute and a half later after a re-boot and a restore to factory default you are done.

In Card Mix 5-6 I don't see a way to enable Tone and Slate for tracks 5 and 6. The columns are marked 1-6, R1, R2, and TC. The rows are marked 5-8. There aren't any rows for S and T. How do I send the Slate and Tone to tracks 5-6?

I have tracks 1-6 rec enabled and 1-4 are set for P, Slate, and Tone in Card MIx 1-4. I just don't see the Slate and Tone options in Card Mix 5-8.

Am I missing something?

TIA

Mark, if I owned a Fusion or Deva right now and Zaxcom released a 10 pots Nomad, i wouldn't be annoyed at all.

This person seemed a little annoyed, although not about the fader count:

I'm actually quite happy with 6 faders.

Different machines so far. Larger touch screen, mix-12 compatibility: built for cart, bag friendly while Nomad is built for bag, cart friendly... :)

As someone who usually works out of the bag, the small size and low weight make it very attractive to me. has said their bag weighs 8 pounds less with the Nomad. That's almost the weight of two 552 mixers.

Mark O.

Currently you can only adjust the level of inputs 7-10 via the on-screen virtual faders. The 6 physical knobs cannot be used for this, although I suspect this may change in the future - such an option should be a simple firmware update.

Mark O.

Would using the 6 physical knobs (faders) for the extra tracks/channels not require them to be motorised or become rotary encoders? Obviously motorised faders would be more than a firmware update but if such a concept didn't cost much more than an extra fader box it would be an interesting feature to see on future mixer/recorders (or even nomad 2) and surely preferable (in theory) to the vagueness of rotary encoders.

dan

Would using the 6 physical knobs (faders) for the extra tracks/channels not require them to be motorised or become rotary encoders?

This is a good question. Can anyone say how the Nomad handles changes in knob position when you switch the faders between controlling analog inputs 1-6, digital inputs 1-6, and Zaxnet devices 1-6? Does it cause the level to immediately change to the position of the knob? Do you have to move the knob first?

Mark O.

Mark -

While I am eager to get full functionality and some operational tweaks, the Nomad is an astoundingly capable alternative to a traditional two-box mixer and recorder bag configuration like the SD 442/744t rig I was using. A smaller footprint and substantially lower weight (the Nomad weighs almost 1.5 pounds less than the 442!) are realized but with the benefit of higher track count and massively better signal routing via routing matrices (an area where I had badly outgrown my old gear).