Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

This is a good question. Can anyone say how the Nomad handles changes in knob position when you switch the faders between controlling analog inputs 1-6, digital inputs 1-6, and Zaxnet devices 1-6? Does it cause the level to immediately change to the position of the knob? Do you have to move the knob first?

Mark O.

You need to change the channel assignment in the routing bus menu first. You will have the option of going from analog to digital and to Zaxnet (not implemented yet). After that then the level will have to be adjusted accordingly.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend a fast CF card for the Nomad? I'd like to get a couple of very fast cards to reduce transfer times. And a fast reader too. I've used the Sandisk Extreme IV cards and reader with my 744t for many years and enjoyed its speed (now a little slow compared to current cards).

I saw a post from a Fusion owner that said he had issues with a fast card, I think something north of 133x. Hopefully the Nomad doesn't have this problem.

Mark O.

The verdict is the Transcend 133X. What card readers are you guys using with it? Care to post some transfer speeds to a computer?

I found this site with plenty of reader measurements. The Sandisk Extreme Firewire reader I bought 4 years ago still produces the fastest transfer rates for the Transcend 133X 32GB.

Mark O.

Just a brief update - after many user requests the latest versions of Nomad software now features a user setting where you can now choose to to keep mirroring on after a power cycle. So if you power down nomad it will now allow you have mirroring remain on after powering up.

Plus the playback menu is now fully functional. You can skip forward and back between files within a folder as well fast forward and rewind with in a file and be able to view the time code and access the meta data. As soon as the latest version is found to be bug free it will be available on the Zaxcom web site for download.

so i'm burned by the nomad on the job i'm on right now. i'm using 2 way radios to record the communication at an airport, in the 100mhz range. i've gota record 3 channels, ground control, tower and the company's frequency. but the nomad seems to emit some fairly high rf levels in the 100mhz range. i have to get the the radios like 5 feet away before it stops. i've narrowed it down by trying the bds, lectro rx's and lectro tx hops. it only stops when i power off the nomad. so now i've gota send two radios to camera and the other into my 552. i know the 100mhz range isn't widely used by us soundies but dang, this just sucks! so now my nomad is just sitting in a bag for 3 days while i'm on this job...

so i'm burned by the nomad on the job i'm on right now. i'm using 2 way radios to record the communication at an airport, in the 100mhz range. i've gota record 3 channels, ground control, tower and the company's frequency. but the nomad seems to emit some fairly high rf levels in the 100mhz range. i have to get the the radios like 5 feet away before it stops. i've narrowed it down by trying the bds, lectro rx's and lectro tx hops. it only stops when i power off the nomad. so now i've gota send two radios to camera and the other into my 552. i know the 100mhz range isn't widely used by us soundies but dang, this just sucks! so now my nomad is just sitting in a bag for 3 days while i'm on this job...

Wow, that's bizarre. Maybe try terminating the SMA connector for the Zaxnet transmitter. Even though it's not a functional feature yet perhaps there is still power routed to it and it's spewing rf like crazy. Otherwise that's disappointing as supposedly the nomad is designed to be without significant rf emission.

I know that for the qrx it is officially recommended to always have the ifb antenna screwed in place or to turn off the ifb feature completely otherwise the rf could overload the uhf board.

On a related note, I've found that the 552 has some rf seepage as well though I suspect it is due to switching regulator noise from the shared battery system.... Still troubleshooting that one.

The 2.4 gig Zaxnet transmitter is currently off in all software versions. I will look at this tomorrow. We have no reports to date of any significant RF output. It would help if we knew the specific frequencies you are using. All nomad inputs and outputs are RF filtered to prevent radiation.

Glenn

I think what is happening is the sample frequency of Nomad at 48k is 24.576 Mhz. The fifth harmonic of this is 122.88Mhz. This would be a very strong signal relitive to anything that would effect any UHF wireless system. If you switched the Nomad to 44.1Khz sample rate and the interference went away this would prove my theory and make things better for you.

Glenn

Hi Jack, for fast access of 2 menu screens, how do you store them?

Gabe

Press the menu knob and press the slate button until you find the home screen you want.

Then press the menu knob and press the com button until you find the other home screen you want.

Then to toggle between the two you would hit the menu knob then the slate button to go to the one that was parked in the slate position then hit the menu knob and the com button to go to the one parked in the com position. Essentially you are not necessarily storing them but leaving them parked for quick access.

Also if you are running a newer version of software you can toggle thru the home screens by just simply pressing the star key.

Which I am finding pretty convenient so now I can toggle thru the home screens unshifted.