Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Hi everyone,

I'm used to have the file naming protocol set to scene/take/segment on my nagra vi.

And it's what keeping me away from the nomad at the time. I would really appreciate that the nomad gives you alternate way of naming the files at least on the mirror card. It's an advantage for me cause lot of my jobs, clients don't even want to read sound reports and actually just sync the sound. This naming gives you a quick access to the files you need i think.

At least to have the option to choose it or not would be a great advantage !

Who's with me ?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a lot of people are with you but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Why not? If Wave Agent (a program with a VERY low overhead and size) can rename files based on the scene/take metadata, I'm sure Zaxcom, what with all their coding/dsp whizbangery, could implement this if they really wanted to.

Record with MARF in segments on the primary card, (give an option to) convert to BWF's name scene and take on the mirror. Mirroring might take just a little longer, but not much. Certainly not as long as loading all the BWF's into Wave Agent and converting there. If there were duplicate take numbers (for some reason), which I see as the only reason not to allow this re-naming function, the code could append a (1) or (a) to the end of the file, exactly the same way the SD recorders do if it encounters a duplicate file name.

Many people want it, and for shows that have VERY quick turnaround (and there are a lot of them), it is easier to do a filename search through a database than to compare against a sound log.

First gig with the Nomad today. I'm still getting used to it, but all I can say so far is that this feels much better than my previous setup. It's so light, so capable, and so interesting to use. I can't wait to do longer projects with it! That said, I am still compiling things I'd love to see changed: 1. Right now, if you want to use the date as your UB you have to jam it every day. Is there a way to automatically advance this? 2. In the notes section of the meta data menu, it would speed things up a lot to have a pre-set list of notes (good, ng, etc). 3. I was thinking how it would be nice to keep different sets of settings for different kinds of gigs. To better facilitate this, it would be cool to be able to name the stored settings so we remember what they are for.

1. Minor annoyance, would be nice to have an option to auto-jam date on a reboot.

2. I would love it if 'PU' were recognized as pick up take so when a user +1 advances Nomad changes the take to 'PU2' rather than 'PV'

Additionally, when you bloop time code I would like the option for Nomad to flash a frame of scene-take info after the time code freezes.

I've had the Nomad 6 for a couple of weeks now and have had the chance to use it in a few different situations. I'm writing pro and con observations down but I thought I would share this one as it reflects many other users posts I've read:

Now, traditionally if you're monitoring 'from tape' you can only hear the tracks which are rec enabled. It seems Nomad breaks with tradition on this since even if you've selected to monitor card tracks you can hear them whether or not they are rec enabled. If you're not on the screen that shows you which tracks are enabled you may believe they are since you can hear them. Seems every home screen needs to show rec track enables, or headphone monitoring of card tracks should have only enabled tracks audible. I'd say both are a more traditional and logical format and in the often extremely rushed world of production are necessary user interface mechanisms.

Why not? If Wave Agent (a program with a VERY low overhead and size) can rename files based on the scene/take metadata, I'm sure Zaxcom, what with all their coding/dsp whizbangery, could implement this if they really wanted to.

Record with MARF in segments on the primary card, (give an option to) convert to BWF's name scene and take on the mirror. Mirroring might take just a little longer, but not much. Certainly not as long as loading all the BWF's into Wave Agent and converting there. If there were duplicate take numbers (for some reason), which I see as the only reason not to allow this re-naming function, the code could append a (1) or (a) to the end of the file, exactly the same way the SD recorders do if it encounters a duplicate file name.

Many people want it, and for shows that have VERY quick turnaround (and there are a lot of them), it is easier to do a filename search through a database than to compare against a sound log.

I have 100% come around to the Zaxcom naming. With my PD-6, I would do the scene_take thing and it made sense. The downside was on hectic shoots I would start rolling and see something different on the slate than I had pre-named. I would have to go back and edit and then prepare the file I am about to record. There were times that we would go again fast enough that I had to start scribbling down notes on paper to do a lot of (slow) renaming during a break.

With the Zaxcom method, you will never have two files with the same name. If post needs those file names, they can run wave agent (or pay me to stay and do it). I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's not as big of a deal as some post people portray.

Camera clips are not named by scene_take, and don't even have it in metadata. They rely on the AC's notes and somehow TV is still made, even with quick turnarounds. There are a lot of cameras that output files that need to be processed before post and edit away on them. Again, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to run batch conversion to rename audio files *if* post wants a specific naming scheme. It's a lot easier and faster than all the stuff they have to do to Red files.

Maybe some day Zaxcom recorders will have that as an option in the mirroring process, but the current system seems to be a source of stability in the primary file storage drive. Remember the Nomad software is built off the Deva that can have a huge internal HDD with a full project's archive of audio files. There was a need for a stable way to keep those tons of files organized.

I've had the Nomad 6 for a couple of weeks now and have had the chance to use it in a few different situations. I'm writing pro and con observations down but I thought I would share this one as it reflects many other users posts I've read:

Now, traditionally if you're monitoring 'from tape' you can only hear the tracks which are rec enabled. It seems Nomad breaks with tradition on this since even if you've selected to monitor card tracks you can hear them whether or not they are rec enabled. If you're not on the screen that shows you which tracks are enabled you may believe they are since you can hear them. Seems every home screen needs to show rec track enables, or headphone monitoring of card tracks should have only enabled tracks audible. I'd say both are a more traditional and logical format and in the often extremely rushed world of production are necessary user interface mechanisms.

I don't have my Nomad in front of me, but I know the Deva/Fusion has an option to mute tracks that are not record enabled. Look around and see if that option is in there.

We like that option because you can use any input as a return/talkback/monitor/iPod/radio. You may want to listen, but wouldn't want to record any of those inputs. It might seem odd at first, but it's all about flexibility.

My Nomad has been tripping up on me lately. Today I was on a shoot and anytime I plugged in boom the screen would freeze. At one point I heard a beeping noise while the screen was frozen. I must have had to reboot the Nomad 5 times today. I have another job next week so hopefully I can send this to the mothership and get it back before the job starts. I'll keep ya'll posted on how things turn out and if there was any reason for the freezing.

>>anytime I plugged in boom the screen would freeze

This sounds like something is wrong with your 48V power supply and it is interfering with the operation of the machine, although I have never heard of this before. It sounds like this is a hardware problem and has to go back to Zaxcom.

-howy

I totally agree that the flexibility of Zax stuff is amazing. I like the matrix layout of setting crosspoints too. Reminds me of a research paper I did in college about speaker matrixes in theme parks, CobraNet, etc. The graphical view of the matrixing on Nomad is perfect. I can't seem to find the option you speak of for muting unarmed tracks in menus or manual though. Maybe it's not part of the works. I hope it becomes part of it! I've made a few mistakes so far on a low budge shoot...learned from them but would like more feedback from the machine on it's current settings and situation so I can make fewer mistakes in the future :)

I don't have my Nomad in front of me, but I know the Deva/Fusion has an option to mute tracks that are not record enabled. Look around and see if that option is in there.

We like that option because you can use any input as a return/talkback/monitor/iPod/radio. You may want to listen, but wouldn't want to record any of those inputs. It might seem odd at first, but it's all about flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

The primary card will record a .zax file which can be converted to a .wav file using zaxconvert. You can also create a .wav on to the mirror card from the primary card. This can be done simultaneously or at a later time.

The primary card can be used mirror as many .wav files as you like on to other mirror cards by simply having nomad re-mirror the files.

The mirror files can be played in most computers with programs like QuickTime or media player or wave agent as well as others.

i would like to check the files in the nomad, is it possible?

how do i re-mirror the files?

i'm in a shooting with no time to check it in a computer.

thanks jack

I don't understand what you mean by "check the files"? If you record something (to the Primary card) and you play it back and you hear it, what else is there to check? If you have mirrored those files to the Secondary (or mirror card), those files will be fine also (and when delivered to somebody else will be playable on any one of a number of available devices/computers).