Recording small aircraft landing

Beta Sound

I will be recording a small aircraft landing today, and i wouldnt want to trash my mics. The mics i have available are mkh 50, mkh 416, audix tr40, tram tr50 lavs, and a shure sm57.

Should i go with the dynamic 57 or is a small airplane not loud enough to damage my mics? I know the way to go is to measure how loud it is and then go with a mic accordingly, but im pretty sure we will only get one shot at it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

I will be recording a small aircraft landing today, and i wouldnt want to trash my mics. The mics i have available are mkh 50, mkh 416, audix tr40, tram tr50 lavs, and a shure sm57.

Should i go with the dynamic 57 or is a small airplane not loud enough to damage my mics? I know the way to go is to measure how loud it is and then go with a mic accordingly, but im pretty sure we will only get one shot at it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Single engine prop planes, corporate jets? How far will you be from the touchdown? You can use what you want. I've used an MKH 50 for Learjets & Gulfstreams with no problems just be sure to keep your levels a bit lower than normal if you're concerned.

Eric

To echo what Senator, Eric and Jon have said, shouldn't be a problem with any of the mics, (unless the plane is an older corporate jet) 'cause if you're close enough to damage a mic, damaging the mic is the least of your worries. Bear in mind that jets will be louder after they pass and you'll be fine.

Best regards,

Jim

As this is a lower budget production and organization is minimal at best, they did not get the authorization to use the landing strip today and we were unable to do this specific scene. So I have a lot more time for preparation. I will go ahead and use my mkh50 to record the aircraft as i am sure that it is not a Jet of any kind. I understand that there are many available recordings of all kinds of aircraft, but I dont really like to think about sfx libraries while im on set, and try to record everything as best i can. you never know if you'll be able to get something amazing.

Anyways, this forum never ceases to amaze me, thanks a lot for all the useful comments.

Make sure you find out what specific plane and model it is. Chances are, the SFX are available somewhere, and they might be a good option in the event you run into wind noise, other planes, or anything else getting in the way of a clean recording. In a case like this, the library effect might be better than anything you can grab in real life.

I had a good one the other day: the director asked me to stick around to record the "Spotlight Turn On" noise for a simulated Broadway show. I laughed, because I know this is kind of a sound effects cliche that doesn't sound like this in real life. He wanted that kind of dramatic "WHOOOMF!" sound, as opposed to a little "clunk" (which is all we heard in the real theater). Luckily, I did have the sound effects in my library, and I sent it over to them later and it wound up in the finished spot.

--Marc W.

• 1 month later...