Matching 442 output to the Zoom H1

tong

Hi all,

Before Nomad officially arrives to Sg, I got myself a Zoom H1 because my Zoom H4n went robust!. Unfortunately for me, the line input doesn't seem to match with my SD 442 XLR - 10 or Line Outputs! The only output that works now with the H1 is the Tapes out on the 442. I know it has something that got to do with the Line Input on the H1 and XLR Output level because I managed to get the XLR outputs on my 302 to work after padding it down to -10 Line. any idea how do I go around solving it for the 442? Put some resistors in the 1/8 - 2 XLR cable that I had made maybe?

Hi all,

Before Nomad officially arrives to Sg, I got myself a Zoom H1 because my Zoom H4n went robust!. Unfortunately for me, the line input doesn't seem to match with my SD 442 XLR - 10 or Line Outputs! The only output that works now with the H1 is the Tapes out on the 442. I know it has something that got to do with the Line Input on the H1 and XLR Output level because I managed to get the XLR outputs on my 302 to work after padding it down to -10 Line. any idea how do I go around solving it for the 442? Put some resistors in the 1/8 - 2 XLR cable that I had made maybe?

Not sure what you mean by "match". The problem could be that the 3.5mm inputs on the H1 are unbalanced and your cables are wired balanced. Open the XLR end of the cable and see if pins 1 & 3 are tied together. If they're not tied that very well could be your problem. A bit more specific info about "matched" would help.

Eric

Not sure what you mean by "match". The problem could be that the 3.5mm inputs on the H1 are unbalanced and your cables are wired balanced. Open the XLR end of the cable and see if pins 1 & 3 are tied together. If they're not tied that very well could be your problem. A bit more specific info about "matched" would help. Eric

My 1/8 - XLRF(2) are joined unbalanced. Common Ground (1), Tip to Pin 2 (Left XLR), Ring to Pin 2 (Right XLR), Pin 3 is blank for both XLRs.

I checked out the Input Impedance of the H1. According to the manual, it says that is 2k ohms. the 442 Line Output Impedance is for use with >600 ohms input, while -10 Output Impedance is at >10k ohm inputs. Could this be the issue?

My 1/8 - XLRF(2) are joined unbalanced. Common Ground (1), Tip to Pin 2 (Left XLR), Ring to Pin 2 (Right XLR), Pin 3 is blank for both XLRs.

I checked out the Input Impedance of the H1. According to the manual, it says that is 2k ohms. the 442 Line Output Impedance is for use with >600 ohms input, while -10 Output Impedance is at >10k ohm inputs. Could this be the issue?

Impedence is not the problem. Connection is. You need to connect the ground (XLR pin 1 to XLR pin 3) to truely unbalance the circuit. Pull the xlr out of it's shell and plug everything together as normal with the female xlr plugged in to the 442 and the tone on. Use a screwdriver blade or a piece of wire to temporarly connect pins 1 & 3. Try it, betcha it solves your problem.

Eric

" the line input doesn't seem to match with my SD 442 XLR - 10 or Line Outputs! "

well, what do you expect from a $100 toy?? ???

Another shoot from the lip non answer. If you knew anything about proper unbalancing you would offer a practical answer on how to solve the problem. Obviously you don't so you flap your gums just to hear yourself babble.

Eric

I occasionally use the Tape out with a TA3 to 1/8" cable and that works and sounds fine on my H2's line-in. There's no way the Zoom's input stage can handle the output of the XLR without some kind of attenuation.

The attenuation happens when you unbalance the output from the 442. It's 6db less than a balanced signal.

Eric

I always carry an inline pad with me, just in case I encounter a situation like this. The Shure A15AS can be a lifesaver. I just had to use one of those a couple of weeks ago, when I encountered a camera crew who couldn't figure out how to switch their camera into line instead of mike. It was easier to just step down the level with an attenuator than to dive into the menus.

--Marc W.

post-261-0-94900600-1320988781.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I used the 442's 1/8" tape out into H4N line in the other day and it sounded decent. Nice that an inexpensive slender cable could be routed there. But the fact that it doesn't lock is a good point. I suspect the Beachtek/60D cam audio will be used anyway.

A thread somewhere else had folks claiming, despite the drawbacks of going through the H4N preamp, going XLR mic out to XLR mic in avoids impedance issues and gives better results.

Regarding pads, another option is made by Sontronics called ST-PAD/PHASE. Has two independent 10db switches and a phase invert switch.

But I only wish "my Zoom H4n went robust!". As in suddenly gained timecode in. ;)

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Resurrecting a bit of an old thread here but what the heck:

When running the 442 unbalanced TA3 or the 1/8" tape out/mix out into the line in on the H1(and the devices are calibrated with 0dbu tone =-20dbfs), digital clipping is introduced when the 442 signal is somewhere around +17dbu.

Now the obvious quick workaround is to set the limiters on the 442 at +15/16dbu and compensate by turning up the H1 input volume if you really want to.  My question is:

Is the impedance mismatch (442 tape out is intended for >6k inputs while the H1 input is 2k) what causes this early overload?  Or is it a case of lower quality inputs/circuitry maybe?  Crappy AD convertor?

Unless my signal flow is all wrong?

disclaimer: I know I'm discussing the merits of interfacing pro equipment with a toy recorder but what the heck - it interests me and sometimes it's good to run a backup in a straight to camera situation.

• 1 month later...