digital audio cabling

greg sextro

I have to make some AES cables - and have heard two different recommendations from trusted sources. The first says that one should always use 110 ohm rated cable for AES cables. The other says that it doesn't matter what you use if the length is short (in his words - less than 100 feet). In my case, I need to wire the AES in and out of a Fusion to an external box, that probably wouldn't be longer that 7 feet. I have some 110 ohm cable that is rather small in diameter - but not small enough to fit 4 of them inside the opening of a 9-pin d-sub. I do though - have some analog cable that would fit just fine.

So would I be ok with the analog cable or am I asking for trouble? Any opinions?

Thanks,

-Greg-

If you need to get 4 balanced pairs of 110 ohm cable into a D-sub... why not use Cat-5?

Nominal impedance is 100 ohm +/- 15%, common-mode pickup is darned good because the twists are so carefully planned, and stranded bulk cable is cheap. Or cut the ends off a stranded patchcord.

Not shielded? Hey, it's a balanced connection...