Lectro Antenna cable

stacysound

I'm getting ready to redo my bag rig and had a question about what antenna cable I can use. I'm gonna build some 12" cables and want to go as small and flexible as possible. Again, just for the 12" jumpers between receiver and splitter, not for the longer antenna run.

Thanks Larry for the how to here -

Please and Thank You,

Hi Stacey,

You can use small cable such as RG174. Its loss is about 0.25 dB per foot but is not going to affect your situation, particularly since you will have a little extra gain anyway with the RF amp. See here:

http://www.lectroson...ew-details.html

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I'm getting ready to redo my bag rig and had a question about what antenna cable I can use. I'm gonna build some 12" cables and want to go as small and flexible as possible. Again, just for the 12" jumpers between receiver and splitter, not for the longer antenna run.

Thanks Larry for the how to here -

Please and Thank You,

• 5 months later...

Larry's suggestion of RG-174 coax is good for your application.

You need to find the exact proper BNC connector. The clamp type such as Amphenol 69475 is not that difficult to assemble. Get the assembly instructions from the Amphenol website (C25).

Crimp type connectors are faster to assemble but you need the proper crimp tool. The cheaper crimp tools do not always make a solid connection. I've learned over the years that the Daniels crimp handle and dies are the best. For example, for RG-174, the BNC male connector is an Amphenol 31-315. The crimp die should be 0.068" hex for the center conductor and 0.178" hex for the shield ferrule. Again, get the assembly instructions from the Amphenol website (C26).

Kings is my other recommended connector manufacturer.

There are cheaper connectors available but my experience is that MIL qualified coaxial connectors last longer.

There are sources for assembled cables. If you are only going to make a couple it may be more cost effective to buy them assembled than to collect your own crimp tools.

As an example, Pomona makes those cables with molded-on strain reliefs. That part number would be 2249-K-12. The "K" is RG-174 cable and the "12" is 12" long.

Bill Ruck

• 2 years later...

Larry's suggestion of RG-174 coax is good for your application.

You need to find the exact proper BNC connector. The clamp type such as Amphenol 69475 is not that difficult to assemble. Get the assembly instructions from the Amphenol website (C25).

Crimp type connectors are faster to assemble but you need the proper crimp tool. The cheaper crimp tools do not always make a solid connection. I've learned over the years that the Daniels crimp handle and dies are the best. For example, for RG-174, the BNC male connector is an Amphenol 31-315. The crimp die should be 0.068" hex for the center conductor and 0.178" hex for the shield ferrule. Again, get the assembly instructions from the Amphenol website (C26).

Kings is my other recommended connector manufacturer.

There are cheaper connectors available but my experience is that MIL qualified coaxial connectors last longer.

There are sources for assembled cables. If you are only going to make a couple it may be more cost effective to buy them assembled than to collect your own crimp tools.

As an example, Pomona makes those cables with molded-on strain reliefs. That part number would be 2249-K-12. The "K" is RG-174 cable and the "12" is 12" long.

Bill Ruck

How are Pomona cables?