Issues, Issues, Issues...

Well, I was trying to post this thing on RAMPS (twice) but apparently is having some issues; so here I go Again:

Hello gang,

Here's the thing. Since I currently own 2 Lectro Systems (and a mic-Plug) on Block 29, I called Lectrosonics today & was told that newer systems like the UCR411A/UM400 are not possible to re-freq. So now I have a couple of years to figure out what am I going to do with these. Anyone knows for sure if this auctioning is going to affect the US only? Can I sell/trade my systems to someone in Canada & would they be able to us them with no problem? I mean, this really sucks because now I'm going to have to sell this systems an buy new ones and I'm basically going to loose money in the process ($700?). This is ridiculous!!! What do you guys think? What should I do now?

Thanks

This is ridiculous!!! What do you guys think? What should I do now?

Thanks

I read your post first on r.a.m.p.s. so you must have had some success. I would go along with the answer from someone on r.a.m.p.s. who said to your "what should I do now?" is DO NOTHING. You should keep using your current block until you cannot get decent performance --- then investigate what you can do about it. There is no way to predict in advance how each wireless setup is going to be affected. As pointed out by Billy Sarokin (working in very RF intensive New York locations) even a scan at 9 in the morning does not insure your radios will work well at 11 am. It will really be a function of where you are shooting, what the FCC has done that month, etc.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

sergio,

not to diss lectro here, but call the service dept. ask them again if you can re-freq your bl 29 to a lower blk. you might of got a responce from a rep. who was not so sure.

Everything I have ever heard from the folks at Lectro--from the High mucky-mucks on down--was that a block change for the 200's and 400's would have to change so many parts that it would be cheaper to just buy a new unit.

---Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I used my bl 29's in the heat of the jungle (downtown L.A. Hollywood specifically) all this past week and didn't have a hint of a problem.

I mean, I didn't even have to re-scan at all, but I always prepare to just in case.

The issue here is future attainment, for other uses, of that block, correct?

It's allegedly something that may have effect on the next few years, but still unclear to me as to how bad it can actually get. At this point I think all blocks available in the UHF band are prone to RF interference call it FCC, Military RF activity, HDTV or just heavy consumer RF traffic...