Just joined Toronto's IATSE 873 Union and am now calling in my availability everyday via their automated phone system. I'm wondering what else I can do to get that 'first call' happen sooner? (Other than general Toronto FIlm Industry networking on Indie sets). Should I be calling up people from current shows seeing if there's a spot or just keep calling in my status and pray for rain? Thanks.

Dennis Nicholson

Congrats Dennis on joining the IA. The age old answer is always... "somehow". Personally I think networking in its many forms is a respectable way to introducing yourself to the larger community in Toronto. Now that your in the local I imagine you have access to the phone numbers and address's, emails of the membership. Nothing wrong with a friendly email or letter introducing yourself. Good luck.

CrewC

daily call: sorry, guess that is the daily procedure,

"hiring hall": maybe it is...

Do the "employers" call the union to hire sound crew, and then the union calls members, and sends them to the gig??. (hiring hall)

or do the employers call to get a list of available members and they review the list and make individual contacts, and hiring decisions?? (referrals).