Any advice as to what to bring to a live shoot?

Michael Miramontes

I'm assuming it is DSLR's since that is what they always use. I could be wrong, and forgive me if I don't have more info to give as I am barely being given bits and pieces of info about the shoot. The Producers, although they pay well and are really nice, are still learning so at times I need to advise them as to how things should be done.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have never mixed for this type of scenario and are this unsure about the whole process why did you agree to do it? The producer seems to be unaware of how to properly put together a live shoot as well so forgive me if I'm a little harsh but it sounds like you're both in over your head.

I don't take your comments as harsh at all. What's the point of soliciting advice on a web forum if you aren't going to be open to praise and criticism? I've done a show similar to this but not quite exact. I'm confident in my own skills and understand my limitations. This is why I've hired a friend of mine, who has done post audio and live shoots for years, to assist me with this project. I agreed to it because I'm a salesman by nature and I'm not going to turn down a gig that I know I can coordinate a competent crew for. The client is one of my favorites and they ALWAYS call me for work. So, if I have to get out of my comfort zone and take on something that might challenge me then so be it.

Time will only tell if I'm going to eat my words so I'll let you know how this turns out on Tuesday...haha..

Thanks again though for offering to boom with me that day. A friend of mine swooped up on the gig soon after I posted it available.

Dan's are the Rolls Royce's of this category, but there are several worthy and useful alternatives from, amongst others, Shure, Lectrosonics SD, and Audio Technica...--Nomad= coming soon

may even be available for rental in the SoCal area, though not sure if our "usual suspects" have any for rental, but there are some AV (and ,aybe even recording studio rental like, amongst others: Audio Rents, Bexel, etc.) companies that probably do rental as these are popular for many types of broadcast/meeting situations, and improve both the main feed, as well as any PA. Don't forget Feedback killers (dbx, Sabine, Behringer, etc,) too...

If you can send a runner to pick these things up tomorrow morning!

Michael, today is Monday, and you didn't post a Facebook link for us to watch the show.

The reason might be this:

a live shoot that will be airing on facebook later this month.

Although that kind of work isn't usually called "live".

"Live to tape" maybe.

Michael, today is Monday, and you didn't post a Facebook link for us to watch the show.

That's because call time was 6am and I just got home. There was no time to jump online and chat with you folks. Sorry. I didn't know where the live feed link was, although it would've been kinda fun having you guys jump on and see me at work. haha.

But yes, today I was told I made Facebook history since it was their first live stream show. Not live to tape, but actually LIVE on Facebook. The shoot went just fine since I brought a good crew with me. There were a few problems with sound via a Skype feed but nothing that had to do with me. I guess their computer wasn't setup properly. At any rate, I was told I did a good job and that they would love to have me back in a few weeks for another one. Maybe that time around I can get a link for ya'll to see so you can bust my chops about it....haha...

It's time to crack open a Guiness and relax. Cheers!

Ok, here is the gear I used:

PSC Solice Mixer

Countryman B6's for all talent

2 CMIT5U's on boom poles

G3's for wireless (don't have the $$$ for Zaxcom's yet)

I made sure all the wireless units were set and ready to go with Rycote Overcovers. This was my first time using them since I regularly use the undercovers or hide the B6 behind a button if possible. It was quite happy with the results since I had less clothing rustle then using the undercovers. Of course this method is required on a case by case basis. Some girls can get away with the lav not ever touching their shirt and others need a bit of padding.

A company called Livestream was there to handle the live feed/video streaming to Facebook. We received cues from them as to when to bring up the volume and when to fade out. We provided them an audio feed via XLR and they went ahead and mixed it in with the footage captured from the 3 camera guys.

Since we were filming in a small room at the corporate headquarters we didn't have much room to dance around. This presented a bit of a challenge because the company is comprised of 95% women in their mid 20's who love to wear high heels. We tried our best to tell everyone to stay quiet. But, every so often a tall drink of water would walk by the room in stilettos and a"clank, clank, clank" would make it through my headphones. It was kinda hard to complain though. ;D

The shoot lasted for about 2 hours and was no different then doing news room type stuff. I'm kinda glad that I took all those TV Production classes in Jr. College now.

We didn't have a lunch since we wrapped just short of 6 hours. Breakfast however was quite nice!

If I get a call for the next one then I'll be sure to post the link so you guys can really criticize the hell out of me. It's the only way I'll get any better I guess.

We tried our best to tell everyone to stay quiet. But, every so often a tall drink of water would walk by the room in stilettos and a "clank, clank, clank" would make it through my headphones. It was kinda hard to complain though.

I had that happen on an infomercial a few months ago. Luckily, I had some rubber-backed carpets in the truck, and I laid those down just outside the office and knocked the high-heel hallway noise down by about 75%. Posted signs took care of the rest.

--Marc W.