Best option for audio feed to 5D and 7D cameras

Michael Miramontes

It's been a while since I started this thread. It's nice to look back and see how puzzled I was at figuring this problem out. 

Now, I just slap on an ERX1tcd to any camera I come across. Problem solved!

That's what I did on a 5D shoot.  Its a nice light weight wireless solution.  You can even do two discrete tracks if you want.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Discrete tracks of what please? "

Discrete tracks of what ever you  please...?

Eh no! not true, as Dominique has pointed out.

It can send one mono audio mix to at least one channel, but can it send that one mono mix identically to both channels?

It can send timecode to one channel can you choose which, other than how you wire your output lead?

Can it send timecode to both channels?

Erx cannot feed a camera two different audio channels. It can only do either mono audio or 1 channel if audio and one channel of tc or only tc.

Guess I assumed since the Nomad ifb/mono out page gives you the choice to send the various outputs and that the jack is a stereo jack it could do two discrete channels of audio.  I stand corrected.

ERX2TCD's are one of the best investments I have made in a long time. I now use them on 5D shoots all the time. Yes you can either send two mono mixes or one mono mix and TC. But with the Nomad you can also send a bleep that goes both to the camera and recorder. Two words. BAD ASS.

ERX2TCD's are one of the best investments I have made in a long time. I now use them on 5D shoots all the time. Yes you can either send two mono mixes or one mono mix and TC. But with the Nomad you can also send a bleep that goes both to the camera and recorder. Two words. BAD ASS.

You can send a beep that goes to camera and recorder with any mixer and any wireless hop...right?   Add some kind of bloop light (plugged into the audio system) and have a visual ref for the beep on recorder+camera.   This is actually an old-school sync method.

philp

On 5D's where production wants some scratch track on it, an ERX.  Usually that consists of my feed from Nomad and a 'video mic' through a Y-cable. 

Just a couple days ago, I used a prod. company's ERX's and cables for their 5D's.  Their SOP was TC coming out of the ERX while a 'video mic' was hooked up all through a y-cable they ordered.  A TC slate would only be used during interviews not for B-roll.  On a side note and sorta off topic, the same prod. company would also run a RED Epic along side the 5D's so I would use my modded ERX and feed TC and scratch audio to the EPIC.

As Justin said "BAD ASS"!

Gabe

How bleep from Nomad please?

The ERX1tcd puts timecode on an audio track does it? Can Final Cut see timecode from an audio track? If it cannot and the edit is in Final Cut how is that dealt with?

thanks

when I use an erx2tcd, some of my fcp clients use this:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/26/auxtc-reader

if you are using plural eyes for material that has multiple takes of the same text, plural eyes can have difficulty

ao

I'm presently in the middle of a 15 day job with 3 Canon 5D's. I'm feeding a mixed "scratch" track via G3's.

I have emphasized to my client that the audio on the 5D's are for "reference" purposes only and that they should use the files that I provide them from my SD 664. I was a little concerned last week when my client commented that the audio from the previous day from the 5D scratch track sounded just fine to him! I again emphsized that he REALLY should use the files from my 664. Fortunately, I think he will.

I mention this only to point out that the newer 5D's (v3) have significantly improved the audio circuits with manual level settings and accurate metering. I am NOT suggesting that one should use those files, but it is significantly better than it was.

Tom

I was a little concerned last week when my client commented that the audio from the previous day from the 5D scratch track sounded just fine to him! 

If the client is fine with that audio then let it be. I have one client that shoots national commercials for Fox Sports and uses the 5D with the stock lens and is fine with the audio I'm sending him via an ERX1TCD. Yes, I scratch my head all the time when I see this however if its good enough for the network then I'm not going to make a fuss about it. I was initially concerned about it too but got over it very fast when the checks started rolling in.