iphone-smoking hot!

I think this is due to the lithium-ion battery pack. The phone definitely gets warm if you use it for more than a few minutes. Given that it has four transmitter/receivers in it -- WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM (or CDMA), and 3G -- it's amazing that it works as well as it does.

Many, many other smartphones also get pretty warm, for the same reasons.

--Marc W.

Other cellphones are never hot hot and do not explode every new model...

I think this is due to the lithium-ion battery pack. The phone definitely gets warm if you use it for more than a few minutes. Given that it has four transmitter/receivers in it -- WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM (or CDMA), and 3G -- it's amazing that it works as well as it does.

Many, many other smartphones also get pretty warm, for the same reasons.

--Marc W.

Every cell phone I've ever had gets really hot if you use it for a long time. I've never had one catch on fire, though. That's pretty wild. I have a friend who had a Motorola Droid do basically the same thing as this iPhone, though, so I don't think it's just an iPhone thing.

Every cell phone I've ever had gets really hot if you use it for a long time. I've never had one catch on fire, though. That's pretty wild. I have a friend who had a Motorola Droid do basically the same thing as this iPhone, though, so I don't think it's just an iPhone thing.

My Android phone gets hot as can be at the slightest provocation. Hot enough that it's uncomfortable to hold. I have no trouble imagining it bursting into flames, especially when something goes wrong and it needs to be forced off by removing the battery.

Best regards,

Jim

I have only owned HTC phones for the last 8 years and I have never experienced a hot phone.

Only in my car cradle when driving in the desert they got hot from the sun.

My Android phone gets hot as can be at the slightest provocation. Hot enough that it's uncomfortable to hold. I have no trouble imagining it bursting into flames, especially when something goes wrong and it needs to be forced off by removing the battery.

Best regards,

Jim

I have only owned HTC phones for the last 8 years and I have never experienced a hot phone.

Only in my car cradle when driving in the desert they got hot from the sun.

Mine is an HTC phone as well, it's great until it isn't.

It crashes quite frequently when overtaxed, like when you're using the Nav app and the phone switches between cell towers a lot. Like when you're driving almost anywhere and don't know where you are and really need the device to work and need the Nav to work to get to work on time.

It is awful for this reason alone.

I know yours works perfectly, unfortunately this is evidently the exception rather than the rule.

Best regards,

Jim

And then they call me crazy when I say that Apple have a horrible quality control and design defective products in order to save money.

Well, they make and sell MILLIONS of these devies. The idea that every single device is supposed to be perfect is ridiculous. Defects happen. Components fail. EVERY manufacturer has issues they need to deal with.

I feel pretty certain if there is an issue with defective components in these phones, that Apple will make it right.

Why do I trust Apple to take care of it? I received notice that Apple is REPLACING some 1st generation iPod Nanos that have a battery issue that MAY cause them to overheat. The issue affects devices with battery components from one supplier. These are 5+ year-old devices and Apple is replacing them. I just checked the program and my old Nano sitting unused in a drawer does qualify for the replacement. They are sending a shipping box, no charge to me.

What model HTC do you have?

It crashes quite frequently when overtaxed, like when you're using the Nav app and the phone switches between cell towers a lot. Like when you're driving almost anywhere and don't know where you are and really need the device to work and need the Nav to work to get to work on time.

It is awful for this reason alone.

I know yours works perfectly, unfortunately this is evidently the exception rather than the rule.

Best regards,

Jim

Well said Q!

I have a new 4s, and it's never "hot"... so.. does that mean it's defective if Apple has poor design and quality control? I've played games on it for hours over wifi and bluetooth, surfed the net, itunes on the car charger for hours driving, etc..etc.... I've never had any issues with heat (knocking on wood).

• 2 weeks later...

Well said Q!

I have a new 4s, and it's never "hot"... so.. does that mean it's defective if Apple has poor design and quality control? I've played games on it for hours over wifi and bluetooth, surfed the net, itunes on the car charger for hours driving, etc..etc.... I've never had any issues with heat (knocking on wood).

Same here and I have owned the last three generations of iPhones before it without any issues. Not sure why it seems random phones get these issues, but I think its more to do with where that batch of phones got its particular batch of batteries.

Best regards,

Jim

Why is Rado's case the exception and not yours?

I'm on about my 8th HTC phone now, each one better than the last, reliable, user friendly, perfect phones in my eyes. Coming up to upgrade time again, and yes, another HTC will be on it's way to me.

Why is Rado's case the exception and not yours?

I'm on about my 8th HTC phone now, each one better than the last, reliable, user friendly, perfect phones in my eyes. Coming up to upgrade time again, and yes, another HTC will be on it's way to me.

My phone is defective and both HTC and Verizon concealed the defect until the phone was out of warranty. The phone would be swell if it wasn't defective. The way HTC responded to my inquiries insures I'll never buy another of their products.

I'm glad you're happy with your device. Enjoy your new HTC phone.

I've had phones by several other manufacturers and never had a device develop a defect while in warranty and not be replaced immediately. Verizon is also on my list, but other carriers simply don't have the coverage here in the Mid-Atlantic region that Verizon has so I'm staying with them for that reason alone.

Best regards,

Jim

Yup, I have had shocking service from HTC. Their phones are OK - although totally inferior to iPhones - but when something goes wrong, it goes really wrong. The microphone failed in my HTC, I sent it in for repair under warranty, it took them 3 weeks to repair, then when their courier lost my handset, it took them 3 months to replace it. By then I had an iPhone 4, which was the best move I ever made.