5d/7d composite out

Have any of you fine people tried using the composite video output from the canon eos cameras to feed monitors on your cart, if so, will doing this disable the hdmi out.

I know the cameras ship with a usb to composite video (rca) output cable, so I'm hoping this works since sending HDMI over long distances (specifically over cat5) is still much more expensive than with standard deff composite.

Googled "7d composite out hdmi" got this:

http://wolfvid.com/datasheets/FAQ_CANON_7D_VideoAssist_Notes.pdf

Short answer to your question based on this PDF is: Yes, it would kill all the other outputs

This thread also has some info:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-245235.html

A computer controlling the camera would make it possible to have LCD running.. not sure if HDMI is disabled then.

I have had problems where if the Canon 5D is plugged into a laptop, and the director/crew uses the laptop as a video tap, this causes a ground loop for sound, assuming the sound department is feeding a scratch track into the camera. This has happened to me a couple of times when I was on battery, but the laptop was plugged into an AC adapter (presumably a difference in potential). When we dumped the AC adapter, no more problem.

These dinky little cameras are annoying. But I have to admit, they're popular and can make acceptable pictures (like the current romantic comedy Like Crazy, all shot on the Canon 7D).

--Marc W.