Sony FS100

Yeah, the layout is wacky. One XLR on the side the other on the back.

I kinda like the setup of our particular camera. The camera operator hates the flip up display on the FS-100 so he uses a seperate Zacuto viewfinder. But this allows me to pop up the onboard lcd screen, turn it so it faces the right side of the camera and when I set it to status check, I can see proper VU's while shooting. Something not normally available on these dinky cams.

Sounds ok.

We did have one issue that was weird and they tried to blame it on sound.

On one interview we did, in the highlights in the background the whites seemed to be "clipping" and seemed to be doing it in beat with the audio. Even though the audio was recorded at the proper levels, they thought I was somehow causing the picture to clip.

I didn't see how that could happen and the clipping didn't seem to me, to be in perfect sync with the audio. But anyways, a hard reset of the camera made it all go away. But funny enough, no one seemed to mention how that kinda meant it wasn't sounds fault ! lol.

We had issues with the camera under-reporting the amount of material recorded on its media--nearly gave the DP a heart attack since this was on a non repeatable doco style shoot. Also, I really never found an elegant way of mounting a camera hop RX on the thing, and even without the RX the thing seems very hand-hold unfriendly. ( I don't understand this current "brick-with-a-lens" design thing all the camera makers are doing now.)

phil p

Yeah I hear ya. All the new cameras come out as a cube with a lens at cheap prices. But to use them, you need to spend another few grand on a rig to use it.

Here is a photo of how ours is rigged, with my D4 hooked up on the back plate with the V-mount battery. (this was before he added the Zacuto view finder.)

310218_267523526613171_189154451116746_871167_1915626663_n.jpg

Yeah, the layout is wacky. One XLR on the side the other on the back.

I kinda like the setup of our particular camera. The camera operator hates the flip up display on the FS-100 so he uses a seperate Zacuto viewfinder. But this allows me to pop up the onboard lcd screen, turn it so it faces the right side of the camera and when I set it to status check, I can see proper VU's while shooting. Something not normally available on these dinky cams.

Sounds ok.

We did have one issue that was weird and they tried to blame it on sound.

On one interview we did, in the highlights in the background the whites seemed to be "clipping" and seemed to be doing it in beat with the audio. Even though the audio was recorded at the proper levels, they thought I was somehow causing the picture to clip.

I didn't see how that could happen and the clipping didn't seem to me, to be in perfect sync with the audio. But anyways, a hard reset of the camera made it all go away. But funny enough, no one seemed to mention how that kinda meant it wasn't sounds fault ! lol.

If there was no audio on the shoot they would find someone else to blame. It's can't be the camera it's got to be something else. Perhaps craft service or makeup or.......................................................................?

Eric

I've had good luck with the F100. Got a bit flummoxed when I first cracked the menu, but it's pretty much the same audio guts as the EX cameras I think. Weird layout though. On the first shoot with the thing the cameraman used a bigger monitor all the time (pretty simple shoot, all on sticks) so I got to see the levels on the onboard monitor. made me feel better. On a hand-held, rocky-rolly sort of shoot though, I'd think it would be a pain in the ass to use. Bring on the next new camera!

PS Simon: the "audio problem" sounds like horseshit to me (regarding it being a problem caused by sound). It's a bit like the RED "Audio Error" alert which still persists even when all audio cabling is disconnected. It's a bug. get over it.

Chris Newton