The "Stupid Question" thread

Michael Miramontes

I know..I know...there's no such thing as a stupid question. However, there are some things I still don't know and feel a bit intimidated to ask because I don't want some douche bag to chime in and give me a smart ass reply or have a pro snicker at me. For the sake of learning I don't care anymore and I know there are probably other people on here that may feel the same way. So, I'm starting this thread as a haven for anyone that might also have questions that may/may not be common knowledge.

Let me begin by asking:

Maybe I'm not googling this correctly but I've yet to find out what the hell ENG stands for?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple, at least in our context:

"Electronic News Gathering" and the term originated to differentiate film news crews from video news crews.

From the American Heritage Dictionary: "the use of small TV cameras, video tape recorders, and transmission equipment in covering news events"

In other contexts, it means other stuff: engineer, English, etc.

Remember the group's motto. "Where there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

Best regards,

Jim

I know..I know...there's no such thing as a stupid question. However, there are some things I still don't know and feel a bit intimidated to ask because I don't want some douche bag to chime in and give me a smart ass reply or have a pro snicker at me. For the sake of learning I don't care anymore and I know there are probably other people on here that may feel the same way. So, I'm starting this thread as a haven for questions that may/may not be common knowledge.

Let me begin by asking:

Maybe I'm not googling this correctly but I've yet to find out what the hell ENG stand for?

Electronic News Gathering, now MOS can mean "Minus Optical Sound or "Motor Only Sound" or "Mit Out Sound" or in the video news world "Man On Street" but as I'm sure you know "No Sound." What I want to know is where did the term "Run-N-Gun" come from?

Eric

What I want to know is where did the term "Run-N-Gun" come from?

Eric

Hey Eric,

I think the term "Run & Gun" refers to minimal set-up (available light, no rehearsal), bag-based (for Sound) ENG/reality/doc style shooting where everything is on the fly -- you're often running (that part of the phrase is obvious) and gunning (referencing the shotgun mic (for Sound), and the camera as well (for its gun-like qualities?)

That's how I've always perceived it -- as more of a 'get what you can, and can what you get' style of shooting.

What I wanna know is why are there always 4 or 5 kids standing within 10 feet of each other with headsets on, all simultaneously shouting "ROLLING!!!" at the top of their lungs... and they're usually standing right behind my cart. Who are they? Are they rolling as in rolling on Ecstasy? ...And, why do they have to YELL so much? ; )

~tt

Hey Eric,

I think the term "Run & Gun" refers to minimal set-up (available light, no rehearsal), bag-based (for Sound) ENG/reality/doc style shooting where everything is on the fly -- you're often running (that part of the phrase is obvious) and gunning (referencing the shotgun mic (for Sound), and the camera as well (for its gun-like qualities?)

That's how I've always perceived it -- as more of a 'get what you can, and can what you get' style of shooting.

What I wanna know is why are there always 4 or 5 kids standing within 10 feet of each other with headsets on, all simultaneously shouting "ROLLING!!!" at the top of their lungs... and they're usually standing right behind my cart. Who are they? Are they rolling as in rolling on Ecstasy? ...And, why do they have to YELL so much? ; )

~tt

They are the wannabes (PA's) who think by yelling they become an important part of the project.

Eric

PA... does that stand for Pain in the Ass? ; )

Actually, they're not too bad -- if you can get to them early enough in the production and reiterate how important your hearing is to you and your dependents, you can usually get them to convert from the dark side. Yelling on set seems more and more an accepted MO though, has anyone noticed that?

~tt

~tt

Tom, I think you have some groupies. Whatever you're doing, you must be doing it right!

Mark

In my opinion, MOS for "Man on Street" is a term that should be actively abolished by soundies. Apart from making it apparent that your producer knows nothing about the history of the medium they are working in, at least half of those "streeters" are not even Men...

Brent C

Was working with an established reality crew from LA here in NC and we would often break away to do OTF interviews. I'd never heard that phrase before but I just stayed quiet and did what comes natural... Recorded the dialog. Moments later the 'interviewee' asked the producer "what does OTF mean?"

Watch and learn, grasshopper.