NewEndian

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey James!

First off, I'd like to thank you again for LectroRM. You'll be glad to hear that the use of that app got me a high-five (and a "Thats the shit!") from Mark Wahlberg, and a "This is the best thing I've seen in years" from Catherine Zeta Jones. So...well done on that front.

I just DL'd the FreqFinder app and have a few thoughts I'd like to throw in the ring. Please don't take these as dis-satisfaction, just a simple wish-list.

-It would be great if, Instead of manually entering each wireless channel you wanted to use, you could just enter your block number and select multiples from a list of freqs that play nice. This list would change dynamically as you selected multiple channels.

-It would also be great if you could then store some of these as recallable groups. It you were having trouble with one group of personally pre-coord-ed freqs, you could instantly recall another.

-Maybe one day it could be a feature that these lists could be exported to LectrRM for quick, bulk re-freq-ing

-this may be getting too sophisticated, but if next to each of these selectable groups you could show an TV Rf status (green OK, or red RFI susceptibility value), one could make an educated choice on which of their pre-coord-ed groups to chose.

-Assuming any of these ideas seem worth implementing to you, It would also be nice to have a few that were universally applied. For example, I RARELY change my comtek channel.

Thanks again for all of your research and development, James. I know how long you've been working on these and I want to make sure you know how great a resource these tools are to us all.

Best,

Wyatt

Hey Wyatt, I wonder if I could quote CZJ in my app description on iTunes ;). Kidding, don't ask her. But it's nice to have the kudos.

I've gotten a few comments on the initial setup speed. My thoughts were that people wouldn't be resetting their whole channel list very often. It's meant for cart type systems where the number of receivers doesn't change. But I will sway to consensus if people find that the initial setup happens too frequently. Actually, I think I have a good idea for that. It's just not at the top of my priorities yet.

Being able to save and recall full setups is definitely something I will be working on for the future. And I'll probably put the TV field strength status in the TX list page so you can see an overall view of that.

The next LectroRM update will provide a pretty fast refreqing tool to FreqFinder, so let me know if that's acceptable when it comes out.

James

Just a question, why would the TV stations NOT be factored into the intermod calculation? How can the intermod be accurate if it does not include the most grievous interfering frequencies of all?

Just wondering why you chose to do it this way. It would be great if you could just enter the TV channels, then your frequencies and see what comes up, as the TV stations would contribute to intermod, wouldn't they? Or am I wrong? I very well could be. Maybe once I see the app it will make more sense.

-Matt

Got the Freq Finder--it's very cool. Trying to enable the TV part of the app crashes the app on my 3GS. A small request: could you include the Comtek "letter bands" (72 MHz) in addition to the 216 bands? Many of us still use the letter band Comteks, and I'd like to have them in the mix too.

thanks, great app (RM Remote too)

phil p

Matt, thankfully TV stations do not affect us intermod-wise as much as our own transmitters do. Range is our friend there. The reason why intermod happens between close transmitters is because the signal of one transmitter at close proximity is so overwhelming to the other transmitter that it overloads the output amplifier of the transmitter. Naturally TV signals do still get mixed in with our signals, but because they are, for the most part, at receiving strength, they do not cause as much of an issue.

Mind you, go to someplace like times square and break out the analyser and you'll see the intermod going on among everything that's transmitting there (the noise floor is a solid -60 dBm, still not enough to cause our transmitters to overload). Sadly intermod is too tricky for this app to simulate the affect that it will have on a signal. There are so many radio sources everywhere and every transmitter is different and the deviation (bandwidth) for a transmitter changes with the audio waveform. And if TV stations did cause an intermod issue, we'd be dead in the water. US TV channels are 6MHz wide and DTV makes the bandwidth solid. It would be like times square everywhere, but with more intermod.

This app works with the one thing that is concrete: the transmitter frequency. It makes sure that when intermod occurs between transmitters, the products are a reasonable distance away from the channels in use.

Philip - there is a bug in the app with the TV Preview and iOS4. The fix is pending review in the iTunes store and should be out in a day or two. My apologies there. I'll have that Comtek band added for you soon. Thanks for asking. It is actually important that when I say it works with Comtek transmitters, it does in fact work with Comtek transmitters.

Dominique - while not quite as high on the priorities as Comtek, Sennheiser will be added as well, sometime between "eventually" and "soon". Adding TV stations to the TV functionality requires them of course to be made available by the government and it requires some research to find them. Canada will be the first place to be added when I get there, but I still have to actually finish the TV add-on.

Great product newendian, you re a wiz!

I mostly use lectro but have some sen's g2's that i sometimes use too. Would that work also?

I am mostly working in canada, any plans to make the tv listings work here?

Keep on the good work!

I put my G2s in the app--I just figured out which Lectro block they were in and entered them.

phil p

Used it on my shoot today -- I did a quick scan, saw no problem on two frequencies: 502.400 and 500.200 (all I needed). I remembered the FreqFinder app, plugged in those numbers... and it said they were kosher, "OK for intermod." I didn't try any bad combos to see how those would be reported, but I'll know for sure the next time I have to run 8 or 9 together. Thumbs up so far...

--Marc W.

Thank you for the app! I'd tuned my mongrel set of wirelesses pretty carefully according to the Lectro+Senny charts and had been using them on this set of freqs for quite awhile, but your app found a sneaky intermod hit I didn't realize I had when using some of the units that don't get deployed so often (and when I'd need them all to work, of course). U rock!

phil p