LFE with sudden motion sensor

takev

Hello everyone,

I had some weird brain fart just now.

What do you think of using the sudden-motion-sensor in modern Apple notebooks to record low frequency effects. I found this application that uses these sensors for measuring seismic events. There are three sensors measuring shocks in each dimension.

This application "SeisMac" records at 500 Hz, and it seems to accurately record vibrations as low as 5 Hz.  It also seems quite sensitive as well, just tapping your fingers next to the notebook shows quite large values.

It might be interesting to record an explosion, a big truck is hurtling right past you, or maybe record the vibrations inside a car or a ship.

Of course SeisMac doesn't record it to an audio file. But maybe it is interesting to build into Boom Recorder.

Is anyone interested is something like this?

Cheers,

Take

What would be the point.  Anything low enough in frequency to be recorded by these sensors is probably in-audible or un-wanted  LF noise.  If you want an effect in this low frequency range it is much easier to synthesize it.  I can see the sizemographic use, but for audio effects the utility would be severely limited.

---Courtney

Hello Courtney,

The LFE channel in dolby digital and dts has a frequency range between 10 and 120 Hz. These channels are not only used for audio, but also for vibrating the audience, using tactile transducers (butt kicker).

250 Hz is below the Nyquist frequency of the sudden motion sensor, so it can record pretty well within this range.

Maybe you're right that it is better to synthesize special sound effects at these frequencies, I am just saying that maybe you can now also reliably record these effects as well.

Cheers,

Take

Hello Courtney,

The LFE channel in dolby digital and dts has a frequency range between 10 and 120 Hz. These channels are not only used for audio, but also for vibrating the audience, using tactile transducers (butt kicker).

250 Hz is below the Nyquist frequency of the sudden motion sensor, so it can record pretty well within this range.

Maybe you're right that it is better to synthesize special sound effects at these frequencies, I am just saying that maybe you can now also reliably record these effects as well.

Cheers,

Take

I like the thinking, takev. I'll look into it too. Might work. Meantime check this out:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMSUBKICK