Best lav mic for Senn G3 Series

saadasound

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to get some new lav mics for my G3's. I can't afford the lectro's as of yet, so I'm using my G3's for every job that I pick up, including features and ENG stuff. I don't have a crazy budget, but I was looking at the countryman B3's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Countryman EMW is a very good choice. Lots of colors and available in flat, shelved or peaked response. The shelved is the best all around with 4 or 5db midrange boost to compensate for chest resonence and or being buried under clothing. About $200 from the usual suspects.

Eric

I would definitely want to get the COS 11's, however, I believe they don't produce them with the twist locking mini for the G3's. I would buy the pigtails and just do it myself, but I don't really know how. I've heard that the EMW's were really flimsy compared to the B3/B6. What about Trams?

Also, do you think that the hush lavs would work with the B3's?

I would definitely want to get the COS 11's, however, I believe they don't produce them with the twist locking mini for the G3's. I would buy the pigtails and just do it myself, but I don't really know how. I've heard that the EMW's were really flimsy compared to the B3/B6. What about Trams?

Also, do you think that the hush lavs would work with the B3's?

Your dealer can supply the COS 11 with any termination you need. Trust me the EMW's are no more flimsy than any other lav under the same circumstances plus the EMW offers better moisture resistence. I've 10+ year old EMWs that as good as day 1. No reason the hush lav wouldn't work with a B3.

Eric

I agree with Eric that there is nothing particularly "flimsy" about the EMW. I would be cautious about trusting further input from whoever told you that.

It's one of the best "bang for your buck" mics around. I don't use mine much since I carry so many others (DPA, Sanken, etc.), but I highly recommend them for either wet work or budget-conscious situations.

+1

Also twist 3.5 is easy to solder.

You can buy the plug for $4-$5

Your dealer can supply the COS 11 with any termination you need. Trust me the EMW's are no more flimsy than any other lav under the same circumstances plus the EMW offers better moisture resistence. I've 10+ year old EMWs that as good as day 1. No reason the hush lav wouldn't work with a B3.

Eric

" Best Lav...?? "

as you see, highly subjective, and there is no single best one.

EMW's are popular, also COS-11, and making great strides is the excellent value of OST.

some of the mic makers put the particular connectors on, to order, but if they don't, your favorite professional production sound equipment dealer will...

Yep, what Eric sez above. (And my apologies to Whitney -- I missed his previous reply.)

The OST 801 presence peak has a high-end very similar to the original Tram TR-50:

1506chartb_w-585x268.jpg

Some mixers feel it's a little harsh, but you can also make the argument that helps dialog cut through a shirt or blouse pretty effectively. I would agree it's a little bright as a conventional clip-on mike on the outside. But it's not that hard to tame this peakiness in post. Getting dull mikes to sound brighter is a lot harder. I think the 801's are more useful in this regard.

--Marc W.

"it's not that hard to tame this peakiness in post. Getting dull mikes to sound brighter is a lot harder."

--Marc W.

Definitely agree with that comment. Question for you guys now regarding colors.... I'm probably going to pick up two of these OST lavs, if I get two, do you recommend getting two black ones, a black and a white, some other colors? As a newbie, I'm curious which ones do you find you use the most when trying to tone down how much it stands out or even try to disguise all together. Much appreciated.

"it's not that hard to tame this peakiness in post. Getting dull mikes to sound brighter is a lot harder."

--Marc W.

Definitely agree with that comment. Question for you guys now regarding colors.... I'm probably going to pick up two of these OST lavs, if I get two, do you recommend getting two black ones, a black and a white, some other colors? As a newbie, I'm curious which ones do you find you use the most when trying to tone down how much it stands out or even try to disguise all together. Much appreciated.

I use mostly black by a wide margin. Once in a while another color is handy, but black is my goto choice. If you're hiding a mic, you want it to disappear. If you're not hiding it, you want it as innocuous as possible. Black usually fits that bill, but every so often, a matching color will work nicely.

EMW's are very good sounding microphones. I don't have them because of budgetary reasons, I really like the sound and have very good success in mounting them underneath clothing. Like Eric says I'd go for the shelved for standard use. I have the Sankens in my kit but I use the EMW's very often.

Yep, what Eric sez above. (And my apologies to Whitney -- I missed his previous reply.)

The OST 801 presence peak has a high-end very similar to the original Tram TR-50:

1506chartb_w-585x268.jpg

Some mixers feel it's a little harsh, but you can also make the argument that helps dialog cut through a shirt or blouse pretty effectively. I would agree it's a little bright as a conventional clip-on mike on the outside. But it's not that hard to tame this peakiness in post. Getting dull mikes to sound brighter is a lot harder. I think the 801's are more useful in this regard.

--Marc W.

Great explanation marc and eric. Thanks!

Question for you guys now regarding colors.... I'm probably going to pick up two of these OST lavs, if I get two, do you recommend getting two black ones, a black and a white, some other colors?

Most of my lavs, in the vicinity of 20 or so, are black with the exception of one white COS-11 and one white OST.

Black is my go to color perhaps 98% of the time but occasionally white works well especially if talent is wearing a thin white shirt where the black cable will show through, or when putting a mic on a Dr wearing a white lab coat.

I use mostly black by a wide margin. Once in a while another color is handy, but black is my goto choice. If you're hiding a mic, you want it to disappear. If you're not hiding it, you want it as innocuous as possible. Black usually fits that bill, but every so often, a matching color will work nicely.

A white lav or two is always good to have. Get a set of dry erase markers in various colors and you can color the white lav any color you need to match. At wrap just wipe the color off the mic.

Eric

Thanks for the reminder -- I keep several colors of caps for my Countryman B6 sets since that's the mic I'm apt to use to "hide in pain sight." Definitely a good idea. Also, like Eric said, it's handy to have extra white caps that can be colored with a marker.

Having said that, my percentage of black usage is similar to Jack's.