2nd White Space Database Trial to begin Dec. 7th.

WhyOne

Group,

The second forty five day database trial for a White Space database administrator, will begin on Wednesday December 7th. Telecordia will begin its trial at 12:01 EST.

The URL to register licensed and unlicensed wireless microphone channels is:

https://prism.telcor...ome/trial.shtml

Attached is the FCC Public Notice, worth reading...

DA-11-1956A1.doc

Yeah... But Phil, did you read the filing to the FCC from Spectrum Bridge? A significant percentage of the "user" participants were from this group! Two of us complained about the homework, and within four days the user interface was upgraded to allow multiple stations for licensed users! They are only going to go to the edge of the rules unless we keep speaking up.

If not us, who? If not now, when? Maybe that's a little Old Testament, but it is the truth.

BTW - Not going to make it to Andy's this year, quite bummed, but the date is not great...

Telecordia's trial has begun, and those of you who choose to participate (People... This is the way it's going to be! Get involved in shaping your future. This is the only opportunity to help shape how you will be able to interact with these databases. Almost twenty percent of the complements filed with the FCC on the last trial were users of the jwsound group!)

So, very early this morning.... (read from bottom up...)

-----------------------------------

John,

Thank you for your quick response. On the second go-round, I was successful in registering the fourteen channels I operate under license, and the two channels I operate as an unlicensed user. Three applications took less than ten minutes. Not too bad.

Regarding the usability of the interface your comments are appreciated. We were thinking that by providing the job aid "Draw Region" for either selecting the point or processing the quadrilateral would mainly be used and automatically populates the actual LAT/LON values in the correct format for the user.

I feel that you are correct in assuming that the "Draw Region" job aid will be a very useful tool (I tested it in both "Point" and "Quad" modes), yet DDD notation is the least accessible form. Anyone using Google Earth (DMS notation) or a GPS (DMM notation) is SOL. I understand it requires a tasty bit of code, but that is what you guys do... Please make the location format user selectable.

TV Channels:

Even after I begrudgingly accepted the fact that the UI would not accept ALL of my channels, I still received the "Invalid TV Channel (must be integer)" error message, until I realized that the UI had truncated my "pasted" entry after a comma, and the entry failed validation. Since every possible channel is a two digit integer, if the maximum allowable characters was reduced by one, this issue could be alleviated. Please recognize the fact that the vast majority of Production Sound Mixers use more than ten UHF channels regularly. In my humble opinion as an amateur database designer, I would suggest that three rows of twelve radio buttons would make this data entry "goof-proof."

This registration process today now covers my "Home Base", ie. the studios where most of my work occurs. I understand that when going on location, I must register the coordinates of my location work more than 24 hours before shooting, in order to allow blocking of "fixed location" TVBDs which only have to touch the database once every 24 hours. My question is will your UI be able to store all of my regular data for quick entry (editable, of course, for last minute contingencies) under my user name.

I also understand that Telecordia is only the second horse out of the gate, and the bravery implied. I would hope that after the sixth or seventh Database Administrator Applicant goes online with their trial, the interfaces will be pretty tight, with an ad hoc standard emerging. If the applicants can't share standards and practices during this trial period, what hope have we as Licensed users that your respective databases will share our user data...

Good Luck with the trial,

Jay Patterson, CAS

To: jaypatterson@hotmail.com

CC: L_Telcordia-Support-WhiteSpaces@dte.telcordia.com; julius.genachowski@fcc.gov

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:14:38 -0500

Subject: RE: Account registration for Telcordia TVWS 45-Day Trial

Mr. Patterson,

Jay,

thank you for participating in the trial and providing feedback regarding the Solution. We are reviewing the items listed and will provide a complete response to your concerns. Minimally we will add the example text regarding the geo coordinates and verify the ability to add all possible channels for microphone operation. The format is

±DD.dddddd. The example is on our other registration forms but it is missing from the LP-Aux.

Regarding the usability of the interface your comments are appreciated. We were thinking that by providing the job aid "Draw Region" for either selecting the point or processing the quadrilateral would mainly be used and automatically populates the actual LAT/LON values in the correct format for the user.

We understand the ability to register your protections is important to you and your profession. Thank you again for your participation and comments.

Best regards,

John P. Malyar

Chief Architect

Interconnection Solutions

Telcordia Technologies, Inc.

1 Telcordia Drive/RRC 4F604

Piscataway, NJ 08854

Direct: +1 732-699-7192

Fax: +1 732-336-2336

Mobile: +1 732-208-5103

E-mail: jmalyar@telcordia.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:49 AM

To: L_Telcordia-Support-WhiteSpaces; Julius Genachowski

Subject: RE: Account registration for Telcordia TVWS 45-Day Trial

Dear Telecordia,

So far your user interface for Licensed wireless microphone users is difficult. Having registered, when going to the attached page for Licensed Use registration, UI would not let me enter an "Owner" name, and after trying to enter my geographical coordinates in two different accepted formats for longitude and latitude, the UI would not accept them. You specify the date format, but not the geo coordinates. Also, the UI would not let me enter all of the channels I use for my professional use. I operate on channels 19,20,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,43,44,45 under my license (WQNJ498) and two channels as an unlicensed user (15,17). This is how I make my living, and I am dead serious about exercising my rights as a licensed user. I will try again later in the day, but compared to Spectrum Bridge's interface, your UI leaves a lot to be desired. This email has been cc'd to the FCC.

Sincerely, Jay Patterson, CAS

Production Mixer, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Owner, Engineering For Production

Vice President, IATSE Local 695, Hollywood Production Sound, Video, Maintenance Engineers and Projectionists

WQNJ498

> Subject: Account registration for Telcordia TVWS 45-Day Trial

> From: support-whitespaces@telcordia.com

> To: jaypatterson@hotmail.com

> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:17:52 +0000

>

>

> Thank you for your interest in the Telcordia US TV White Space 45-day Trial.

>

> We received a request to register an account with this email address.

> To activate the account, please click the following link within the next

> 45 days:

>

> https://prism.telcordia.com/tvws/registration/accounts/activate/939f0013a6d6995fe9ebf3b51b7badb136e0bfe8/

>

> If you didn't request this account, please ignore this email

> and your address will be removed from our records.

>

> Sincerely,

> Telcordia TV White Space Team

>

In my stab ad the Admin Applicants several months ago, Telecordia was one of the few applicants that actually got back in touch with me to discuss professional wireless users' needs. We had a very positive group call with John (see below) and their CTO. Here is his latest response to my last letter:

Jay,

Thank you. We will be collecting all comments/suggestions and they will be shared with our engineering and development teams for input to the Solution. Currently your registrant information and owner information is persistent and can be used in future registrations. The details of a previous registration is there for modification but currently cannot be used as a template but we can consider something such as that. Maybe in the near future we can schedule a call and if you are so inclined can provide more insight to how to improve our usability of our LP-Aux registrations.

Best regards,

John P. Malyar

Chief Architect

Interconnection Solutions

Telcordia Technologies, Inc.

1 Telcordia Drive/RRC 4F604

Piscataway, NJ 08854

1. Go to:

https://prism.telcor...s/registration/

2. Go to Step a. "Sign Up".

Create a User Name (I used my call sign)

Enter an email address, create a password, repeat password.

3. Telecordia will send you an activation email (almost instantly...)

4. Click on the activation link, and log in with your user name and password.

(I'd have my browser remember the password…)

Click through "Trial Registration / Licensed LP-Aux., which will bring you to "your" list of registrations (which will be blank). Click "Add New". (After the registration process, each form you have registered will appear here...)

Owner: (your company name should be in the pull down menu.)

Registrant: (your name should be in the pull down menu.)

Region Type: Can be "Point" or "Quadrilateral" . Either works, but I suggest Quad, as you will be able to see the exact area of protection. Navigate on the map to exactly where your location is, and click "Place Quad". Play around here, zooming in and out of the map to get a good idea of the covered area. By grabbing the corners of the quad, you can custom shape the area. If the quad turns red, you have made the area too large and the entry will fail validation. When you're happy with the quad, click "Save". The four geographic coordinates will automatically be entered in the next eight boxes. Unfortunately, the coordinates are in "DDD" notation, the least intuitive but easiest number-crunchable form, and there is no provision to select or use the two, more popular, types of L/L notation (DMS-Degrees, Minutes, Seconds, or DMM-Degrees, Minutes, with seconds expressed as a decimal of the minutes [most GPS units]).

Datum: This refers to how the above data is expressed. "NAD-83" is both a reference to the DDD format and an area, and as stated above, this is (for now…) the only choice of geo notation in the UI.

TV Channels: Enter up to ten TV channels, separated by commas, no spaces.

Call Sign: Your call sign (ie. WQNJ498)

Event Start: Enter today's date for a semi-permanent studio gig, or the date you will be on a specific location (which will require a separate registration.) For Time, I would enter the hour before the earliest call time), and duration of 14 hours, and select the proper time zone.

Recurrance: For a one day location, click "Once". For longer stays, click "Recurring" and enter the appropriate info. For my studio registration, I selected "Regular Days of the Week" and selected Mon-Fri, and gave a final date of 2012-04-30, the end of the episodic season, though any date past Jan 31, is meaningless as the trial ends then. (Unfortunately, all "trial" data is ditched at the end of each trial, and this is trial 2 of 10... When the Databases go online for real, you will (theoretically) only have to register once with one of the databases, and your data will be shared across all ten of them.

Click "save" and print the receipt for your records. I will recommend that they provide for an automatic email receipt.

If you are registering more than ten channels, you have to fill out a new reg form, but most (except for the ^$##@^ing location data) of the entry is cooked for you.

Good Luck!

Jay