opinions wanted on wireless

nika paniashvili

hello!

My local production company asked me to have a look and (if needed) make changes to the list of wireless eq they plan to buy this days.

the kit includes the following:

3x lectro SR/5P

6X lectro SMQV

1X lectro octopack

1X lectro HM butt-plug

1X lectro SNURI mout kit for unislot

2X Senni ew 300-2 IEM G3 for monitoring

1X Lectro ALP500 LPDA Shark Fin

1X lectro RM2 for SM transmitters

I'm a audio Ltd user and have no experience with lectrosonics (there are no dealers around here in Georgia) and therefore I would appreciate any advice: is this a good (right) setup for cart based feature work? are there any better alternatives from lectro?

ofc there is Zaxcom with timecode transmission and internal recording functions that have been discussed in similar thread in eq section of this forum.... so confusing when you never got to play with this toys in real life :(

any advice would be highly appreciated!

cheers

nika

That sounds like a great kit!

lectros are fantastic. Just make sure you have good enough rechargable batteries, they tend to eat through a lot of them in a day.

And this setup also looks as though you'll be cart based, so make sure you have enough powering capabilities for the cart... other than that I'd say this is a great setup. What lavs will you be using?

And if you have a smartphone, android or iphone, make sure you get the Lectro RM app, which enables you to control the transmitters from the phone.

Do a search on LectroRM or NewEndian here on the board to find out more about that app

The only other real option from lectro with a cart based setup is to use a venue system instead of the SR/octopack kit. This will give you a bit more flexibility in terms of what blocks you use (perhaps depending on where your shooting) by just swapping VRS or VRT modules, where you would have to swap entire SR receivers.

But this does then hinder your ability to transfer over to a bag kit with any sort of ease. Or to potentially use an SR for a cam hop.

Zaxcom wireless products have unmatched functionnalities when combined with zaxcom recorders other than that the lectro stuff you have on that list is top notch. I would contact the manufacturer before to know what blocks you should purchase and confirm compatibily with the rest of the setup. Also there is a great lectro SR adaptor built by blue cow cables out there that u might be interested in.

The only other real option from lectro with a cart based setup is to use a venue system instead of the SR/octopack kit. This will give you a bit more flexibility in terms of what blocks you use (perhaps depending on where your shooting) by just swapping VRS or VRT modules, where you would have to swap entire SR receivers.

But this does then hinder your ability to transfer over to a bag kit with any sort of ease. Or to potentially use an SR for a cam hop.

they had venu as an option but took it out after I told them of the limitations it has

Zaxcom wireless products have unmatched functionnalities when combined with zaxcom recorders other than that the lectro stuff you have on that list is top notch. I would contact the manufacturer before to know what blocks you should purchase and confirm compatibily with the rest of the setup. Also there is a great lectro SR adaptor built by blue cow cables out there that u might be interested in.

they have an 788 already

You need to add a transmitter for the Sennheiser IEM receivers (or are these kits?). Zaxcom wireless is digital which in some countries is not legal to use, so you'd need to check with local authorities first or stay with Lectrosonics as you intended to.

its a kit of 1 transmitter and 2 receivers

I Strongly advise against asking the manufacturer about blocks. Always try to borrow/rent and check yourself. Or talk to other local mixers what they use.

The flexibility of SRa in a bag or on an octopack is unmatched.

If you go with venue you can not use the VRs in a bag. " I spend 1 mount with VR Field and IMHO it is not a bag product.

I used my Lectros in Georgia with no trouble at all. Everything wide open everywhere, even in Tbilisi.

Batteries are a trick there. I would suggest importing some Powerex rechargeables. The Maha chargers work on international voltage. The Lithium batteries I bought there were reliable. The Alkaline batteries were not. But you probably know this.

Lectros are easy to use. Just be sure they are turned on all the way.

Robert

Lectros are great radios, but Zaxcom radios offer more capabilities at a similar price. These include:

Recording (each radio is also a high quality digital recorder with full time code capability

Remote Control (gain, frequency, and recording can be controlled remotely via the ifb transmitter)

Digital encryption

All the best,

Billy Sarokin

I used my Lectros in Georgia with no trouble at all. Everything wide open everywhere, even in Tbilisi.

Batteries are a trick there. I would suggest importing some Powerex rechargeables. The Maha chargers work on international voltage. The Lithium batteries I bought there were reliable. The Alkaline batteries were not. But you probably know this.

Lectros are easy to use. Just be sure they are turned on all the way.

Robert

hey Robert! what block(s) were you using here :) ? and yes local alkalines are a laugh

Lectros are great radios, but Zaxcom radios offer more capabilities at a similar price. These include:

Recording (each radio is also a high quality digital recorder with full time code capability

Remote Control (gain, frequency, and recording can be controlled remotely via the ifb transmitter)

Digital encryption

All the best,

Billy Sarokin

thanks, I'm currently discussing that alternative with them.

Hi Rado,

Just so someone doesn't misread your advice: Your statement holds for any brand receiver in the same conditions, not just "...Lectro RX in the bag". I do understand a fix is being worked on. There are several well known products and respected brands with "extra" RF, which is why you should read sites like JWS. Bags are tough environments with everything ass to elbow, so to speak.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I would advise you not to mix zaxcom TX with Lectro RX in the bag, It is a big headache.

Also not every DPA microphone works with zaxcom .You need low DC DPA mic.

Thanks for clarifying Larry.

I meant exactly that.

The problem is not with Lectro RX. The problem is with zaxcom TX spreading crazy RF.

I have seen the projects: Wrapping the zaxcom Tx in fabric and others.

I am Not interested in USSR style problem solving. (:

This is what keeps me away from Zaxcom wireless and the reason I use All Lectro gear.

Hi Rado,

Just so someone doesn't misread your advice: Your statement holds for any brand receiver in the same conditions, not just "...Lectro RX in the bag". I do understand a fix is being worked on. There are several well known products and respected brands with "extra" RF, which is why you should read sites like JWS. Bags are tough environments with everything ass to elbow, so to speak.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

" they had venu as an option but took it out after I told them of the limitations it has "

what limitation is that??

based on that opening posting, I guess you know what is available, and as for your specific needs I suggest you PM Larry (Lectro) to discuss specifics one-to-one as you may want to include some additional accessories (like TX clips, spare and alternative antennae (sic) in your order, and he would also be able to assist you in finding the better dealers to order from for your situation (location)..

I suspect in your region you will have plenty of interference free frequencies for six systems on any one block of 25 MHz. I would suggest ordering at least one spare mic for your TX packs.

While others are pointing out competitive manufacturers, --and there are of course alternatives with differing features, spec's, capabilities, options, and of course, differing prices-- I'm suspecting that takes your buying process back one step, instead of forward.

There is no reason, none! not to not check with the manufacturers or dealers about frequency blocks, but the actual interference is always more than just TV broadcasters, and differs from time to time and from place to place, sometimes even if the places are barely a km away from each other...

Edited by studiomprd

"what limitation is that??"

limitation of a rack vs separate rx/tx pair that can be thrown in a bag. Don't really know venue size but I imagined my RK6 strapped to my back on the field :P

I will contact lectro as soon as it's 100% decided. oh, and I didn't get the point about the spare mic... you mean a radio mic manufactured by lectro? I didn't mention it in the opening post but I ordered 8 sanken mics.

Yeah, I was going to point out that there's only one shark fin antenna on the list, not a pair.

haha my failt xD