Opinions on Sony digital wireless

DyerEar

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Has anything simpler/lighter/cheaper/smaller than the Sony DWA-01D ever came out instead for powering SONY DWR receivers? (by Sony, or anybody else?)

Yes, for the successor DWR-S03

https://www.hlaudio.de/sony-pro-audio/hl-audio-dwa-03p25-a.html

In this setup that may be the lightest mobile receiver on the market. Both analogue or AES out.

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

ah, but the Sony DWA-03P25-A is only compatible with the DWR-S03, and it seems it is not backwards compatible with the older DWR receivers? 

Yes, since the DWR-S02 is Sony 15 pin slot only which means unbalanced out and 7 volts input only (native on the sub-d, active adapter required for more features, like the DWA-01). 

The DWR-S03 offers Unislot pinout as well so you can easily build passive adapters like that one I mentioned above.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, tourtelot said:

I am told by his first-call boomman that Drew Kunin is absolutely sold on Sony Digital RF.  Only hearsay, no personal experience since I haven't owned a piece of RF gear in 15 years.  :)

FWIW.

D.

In my experience Any pure Digital RF is way easier to handle.

On 7/24/2023 at 1:59 AM, OB1 said:

I get more and more intrigued with Sony's digital offerings...

My boom(s) have been the Sony DWX Digital Wireless since the start of this year, have been very happy with them. 

For instance, I did a shoot last weekend when I ran my transmitter at 1mW the entire time, never had an issue! 

Just finished up a film tonight where I was the Boom Op for a Mixer, and we were using my 2x Sony digital boom transmitters (2x because we'd use the extra one for plant mics, which we'd do frequently.  Usually running this at 10mW) instead of his normal Lectrosonics Digital Hybrid transmitters for the boom (although, Lectros bodypacks were still used). We used my Sony DWX wireless for the previous film I boomed for him earlier in this year as well. 

He's been really liking the sound of them, and he has a very discerning ear. (far more so than my own) He's considering Sony now as his next upgrade, either that or Lectrosonics DPR-A or Shure AD3 would be his most likely options he's going with. 

Now is a great time to get into Sony wireless! As they've finally released their first ever Superslot receiver (the Sony DWR-S03D) and just very recently released their third generation plug on transmitter (Sony DWT-P30).

23 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I am sure they have a manual. 

Hello Senator v2.0 😉 

I can assure you, I've gone through the Sony manuals! No mention whatsoever anywhere of this smartphone app to control the Sony transmitters with. And as you'd imagine, other sources of information online about the Sony DWX series is rather thin on the ground. I've never seen this app mentioned before, other than in this brief off hand comment by the Sound Audio rep in the video I shared. 

23 hours ago, tourtelot said:

I am told by his first-call boomman that Drew Kunin is absolutely sold on Sony Digital RF. 

Am not surprised some people love it, it does seem like Sony has been putting out incredible wireless for years! ( I think Sony was the second ever to bring out Digital Wireless? After Zaxcom. And in general, Sony has been making wireless audio products for over half a century I think?? Sony was originally founded as a purely audio company! Many many years ago.) But we've all be sleeping on it, & Sony hasn't been registering with us. I think Sony deserves more attention from us than they get.