DB15 wiring

berniebeaudry

I'm making a DB15 to xlr cable for my Nomad AES in/out and having never dealt with AES pairs I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Here is the pin out:

1 RX34+

2 RX12+

3 RX56+

4 RX78+

5 RX56+

6 TX12-

7 TX12+

8 Ground

9 TX34-

10 TX34+

11 RX12-

12 RX34-

13 TX56-

14 RX78-

15 RX56-

There is receive (RX) and transmit (TX) plus and minus for each unique number. So how do they correspond to the pins of the xlr?

Thanks,

Bernie

I'm making a DB15 to xlr cable for my Nomad AES in/out and having never dealt with AES pairs I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Here is the pin out:

1 RX34+

2 RX12+

3 RX56+

4 RX78+

5 RX56+

6 TX12-

7 TX12+

8 Ground

9 TX34-

10 TX34+

11 RX12-

12 RX34-

13 TX56-

14 RX78-

15 RX56-

There is receive (RX) and transmit (TX) plus and minus for each unique number. So how do they correspond to the pins of the xlr?

Thanks,

Bernie

Hey, Bernie.

The - line on pin 3, the + line on pin 2.

Happy fabricating.

Best regards,

Jim

Hey, Bernie.

The - line on pin 3, the + line on pin 2.

Happy fabricating.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, that's what I was thinking. Then of course pin one goes to the ground, correct? So the sends are the AES outs done in pairs ie: terminating in four male xlrs for a total of 8 AES outs , and the returns are the four pairs of AES inputs terminating in female xlrs. Since I know nothing about AES wiring, am I understanding this correctly? For now I just want to hook up one pair to do AES into my D-4 camera hop. So I should end up with just one cable terminating in a female TA3 going into the first input of my D-4 transmitter.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bear in mind, if you have copied the pin outs from the nomad preliminary manual, that pins 11 and 12 should be swapped. The layout should be obvious when you look at the DB15 connector.

I saw that, Thank you!

Yes, Bernie, that's correct. So connect the DB-15 pin 8 to pin 1 of your TA and the + of whatever pair you pick to use to pin 2 and the - of that pair to pin 3. Remember that pins 2 and 3's positions are flipped in TA connectors, 2 where 3 is in a standard XLR and vice versa.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim! Its all making sense now!

Best,

Bernie

• 3 years later...