I'm switching to Boom Recorder.

So I've decided to switch to Boom Recorder and trade in my DV824.  There are a number of factors which made me want to do this, but now I'm looking for the best interface.

I like the Apogee Ensemble, for the pure reason of Apogee's great AD/DA quality and their built in "soft limiters" which are supposed to be quite good.

Mackie is coming out with the Onyx 1200F, but it has been delayed so long it makes me wonder.  That unit has LOTS of analog inputs, which would be good for those obnoxious times that you have every mic out of the box and need to lay down playback and such.  It also has gain control for all the inputs, which seems handy.

Any thoughts?

Robert Sharman

I like the MOTU 8Pre very well--good sounding pres, lots of headroom, and wider gain range (on the high end) than the Traveler and much cheaper.  But, AC only, heavier than a Traveler, no WC in and only a single pair of analog outs.  Works great as an add-on to another FW box--I don't know if it would be all that useful as a standalone convertor for film/cart work.

Philip Perkins

I like the RME stuff a lot and the Fireface 400 I think has the best facility for solving any of the clocking issues that people have had while using other interfaces. One main thing to consider is what function does the interface have to provide in your BoomRecorder setup. There is a lot of discussion in regards to many of these interfaces as to how good are the mic preamps, how many are there, is there full 48 v. phantom power, etc. If your setup involves a mixing console as the primary front end (and it is the mixer that is providing all these things) the interface only needs to provide sufficient line level I/O. I know people who have mistakenly gone for one interface over another because they thought they needed 8 high quality mic preamps --- even though they are driving the interface with line outs from a Cooper for example. You just have to figure out how flexible you want to be --- will you try and mix mic inputs directly from the interface? These are some of the questions you have to ask.

-  JW

I have no intention of using the interface for mic pres.  It will, however, be providing the all important AD conversion.

Regarding the Fireface 800, I have thought about inputs 1-8 direct from the Lectro wireless, throughput via the rear 1-8 I/O analog 1/4" TRS (any information on latency??) into the line inputs 1-8 on my mixer.  Sending my mixer main outs to the 744T, then the SPDIF out of the 744T into the Fireface coaxial SPDIF input.  For hardline mics, I can go direct out of the mixer to the front inputs 9 & 10 on the Fireface 800.  Or for additional analog inputs (music or video playback), I can use those inputs too.

This configuration will give me the Boom Recorder option of tracks 1 & 2 stereo mix from digital output of 744T, 3 - 12 for isolated analog inputs (God forbid I would EVER need that many).

Thoughts?

Robert

Yes, I have switched to the RME Fireface 400, which can be either 12 volt or bus powered (very convenient). I am strictly using it as an interface from my Yamaha 01V96. Im using the ADAT In and Out - for the return monitoring of the Fireface to get my AES audio to it and the Firewire Out to my Mac-mini for Boom Recorder. It seems to have very reliable internal clock as well as Word In and Out (when I have to use 48.048k). I previously used my Digi-002, but sudenly after eight months clocking issues came up. I have not used the mic pre's on the Fireface 400 and don't expect to, since the Yamaha is my mix panel.

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

Yes, I have switched to the RME Fireface 400, which can be either 12 volt or bus powered (very convenient). I am strictly using it as an interface from my Yamaha 01V96. Im using the ADAT In and Out - for the return monitoring of the Fireface to get my AES audio to it and the Firewire Out to my Mac-mini for Boom Recorder. It seems to have very reliable internal clock as well as Word In and Out (when I have to use 48.048k). I previously used my Digi-002, but sudenly after eight months clocking issues came up. I have not used the mic pre's on the Fireface 400 and don't expect to, since the Yamaha is my mix panel.

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

Richard,

Is there any reason why you are using the FF400 as a firewire interface, and not the 01V96' MLan card? I have been using mine for some time now and have been perfectly happy with it, and no extra components to lug around.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

As I explained in other posts in regards to Boom Recorder, I strictly use BR as a backup. I master to the Deva 5 and use the MY16-AE card out of the Yamaha with 16 I/O on the two D-sub 25-pin connectors. I have a dedicated cable built to conect to the Deva so I can send and monitor return of the 8 AES signals. I use the identical patching on the ADAT I/O, which goes to the Fireface and F/W to the Mac for BR.

The AES Card means I have another slot available for another HD recorder if I really need it. Who knows, a Cantar, Fostex 824 or future device? I like to keep my options open.

Regards,

Richard

Regarding the Fireface 800, I have thought about inputs 1-8 direct from the Lectro wireless, throughput via the rear 1-8 I/O analog 1/4" TRS (any information on latency??) into the line inputs 1-8 on my mixer.  Sending my mixer main outs to the 744T, then the SPDIF out of the 744T into the Fireface coaxial SPDIF input.  For hardline mics, I can go direct out of the mixer to the front inputs 9 & 10 on the Fireface 800. 

Latency sounds like it could be the hangup here.  If I understand correctly, your wireless tracks will go straight to the interface (and get recorded), then back out to the mixer, where you will do a dailies mix, send them through the 744T and back to the Fireface.  That means the same audio (iso's + your mix of those mics) will arrive at the interface at different times.  You'll probably have slap-back delays between your tracks.

Also, would you add the TC option on the Fireface 800?  I don't know how that works.  I think most of us are using LTC straight to an audio input, which Boom Recorder can find and use as the TC source.  Anybody using the Fireface TC option with Boom Recorder?

Would you have to clock the interface to the SPDIF?  That sounds like another potential woe, because you'd want the interface, as your A/D converters, to be the clock master.  And

It's probably worth getting your hands on a couple interfaces to play with the operating systems and proprietary software, and to check on things like sync (TC and word clock), and latency.  That's what took me the most time to dial in.

I'm happy with the Traveler for the moment.

Brian

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

reading with interest, though somewhat belatedly about the traveler/boomrecorder and other interface questions. i opted to come straight out of the cooper into an apogee rosetta 800 because i sensed that the AD conversion of the traveler wasn't up to scratch. The difference is immediately obvious and the soft limit button is unbelievable. Out of the rosetta i run an optical line to the traveler which is my software interface.I use boomrecorder which is very stable and straightforward. It is important to note though that i also recently added an apogee Big Ben Clock to my system, and again, the difference is audible straight away.

Out of the rosetta i run an optical line to the traveler which is my software interface.I use boomrecorder which is very stable and straightforward.

You can skip Traveler as the interface altogether, if losing one machine from your cart is attractive -- the Firewire-X option on the Rosetta allows you to interface the Rosetta with Boom Recorder quite simply, and the firewire connection seems relatively good in both directions (recording the Rosetta's AES O/P or sending playback from Boom Recorder back to the 800).

Thanks Noah, had thought of that but having the traveler is still pretty handy.for example, i sometimes plug my soundfield surround mic straight into the first four inputs of the traveler and also use it's inputs/outputs for playback. as a routing system it's hard to beat.

Guest afewmoreyears

Although I have the entire Boom recorder setup,  with the Motu traveler,  I personally would not use it unless I really needed to. Like if a bridge fell on my entire normal recording package....  Then I would happily pull it out.

I like it, and it works, but the idea of my computer as opposed to dedicated decks like the DEVA, PD 6, Sound Devices , FR-2 etc.    does not make sense to me.....  again, to me..... 

I don't know why, I just don't like to count on the computer....  and again, I have a nice set up....

Just personal preference...... I personally think the decks are more user friendly, and convenient... 

Thanks Noah, had thought of that but having the traveler is still pretty handy.for example, i sometimes plug my soundfield surround mic straight into the first four inputs of the traveler and also use it's inputs/outputs for playback. as a routing system it's hard to beat.

I've managed to assign all of my inputs and outputs through the Rosetta without needing another device -- well, inputs go into the Rosetta via the mixer, and outputs bounce back through my DV824.  I'm not sure how I'd incorporate a Traveler or what else it would bring me in the way of routing that I can't already do -- but maybe I'm just not wrapping my head around what you're suggesting correctly. 

Noah -

One law of nature I firmly believe in - " You Get What You Pay For.... " 

The Rosetta looks to be about $2400, and seems to be a great tool..... 

The 12v capability of the Traveler is why I went with it .... 

I got my hands on one with the celebrated "Black Lion" mod, and it seems to work ok ....  I haven't done a feature with it yet... just limited playing.

Are you using an inverter for power ?  Or did you do a mod ? 

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Noah -

One law of nature I firmly believe in - " You Get What You Pay For.... " 

The Rosetta looks to be about $2400, and seems to be a great tool..... 

The 12v capability of the Traveler is why I went with it ....   

I got my hands on one with the celebrated "Black Lion" mod, and it seems to work ok ....  I haven't done a feature with it yet... just limited playing.

Are you using an inverter for power ?  Or did you do a mod ? 

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

For what I read here it was more a cuestion of the Rosetta's lack of 12v capability than for the Travelers "black Lion's" mod...

The 12v power deal is great on the Traveler, but so is the ability to be bus-powered via Firewire for simple quick setups.  The Traveler is a great deal for for all the things it does, and I'd be interested in hearing some blind testing of its ADACs vs more expensive boxes for real-world sound situations.  My Traveler (and 8Pre) mostly get used for music multitrack recording as opposed to movie dialog-- each kind of recording is hairy in its own way, but we almost always have AC power and a single setup for music, as opposed to many cart moves and DC power w/ movie work.  In the latter the computer and the Traveler or whatever interface you use demands a much more sophisticated and powerful DC system to operate for many hours than a "recorder" like Deva etc and a DC powered console.  That said, the laptop+MOTU thing has been working for me very well on many different jobs. What's the AC draw of the Rosetta?

Philip Perkins

Here's what the guys at "Black Lion Audio" have to say about the MOTU traveler:

"In MOTU's case, the use of NJM4580 and NJM2115 op-amps is one of the biggest liabilities to sound quality. 

A second weak spot is definitely the clock. It's based around Texas Instruments TLC2933, which is a VCO and PLL all in one. Jitter is high in comparison to good converter clocks-the datasheet claims at least 120 picoseconds, although I suspect it's much higher than that because of power supply noise"  Read more...

Black Lion Mod for MOTU Traveler: $285 for analog only