Music video workflow...

RPSharman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I found something that might be helpful regarding Timecode stamping for this topic. its a website called: http://pehrhovey.net/blog/2013/07/el-tee-see-make-smpte-timecode-wav-file/ they offer a free service where you can download a Generated TimeCode.Wav file, so you can drop into your pro tools session for playback.. You can set: FPS, Frames, Bit, Start time, and Duration to be generated. 

Hi, Nicholas.

Thanks for posting that. I'm prepping a job that requires playback at various speeds, and I found that page quite helpful to generate the timecodes I need. I pitched in $10 as well, seeing as it saved me at least 20 minutes of work.

Please note, in any case, that the URL for the tc widget is this: http://elteesee.pehrhovey.net

Thanks again!

BK

• 11 months later...

I'm using a 788T for playback-

my wav files are already TC stamped.

Is there a difference (from the post perspective) between sending TC to camera from my lemo/bnc (out of 788T, lets say, with the TC embedded into the file) and sending TC on the 2nd audio track?  

I see lots of people like an audio TC on a track, and I"m wondering why - so that they can go wireless?

Is there a difference (from the post perspective) between sending TC to camera from my lemo/bnc (out of 788T, lets say, with the TC embedded into the file) and sending TC on the 2nd audio track?  I see lots of people like an audio TC on a track, and I"m wondering why - so that they can go wireless?

I don't think you really need to send camera the playback timecode. It's more useful to my way of thinking to shoot a timecode slate and have the slate wirelessly receive the playback timecode. Generally, the editors I've worked with would rather have a music scratch track on the camera, but I would ask them prior to production and see what works for them.

Thanks Marc,

Editors are sending me music created in a 23.98 project, but my 788T is recognizing it as 30ND.  So, the wireless comtek to the slate is showing drift....

Anybody else ever have this problem?

***edit - after the shoot:

To fix the files (change them to 23.98), I tried wave agent: 

Wave agent did not identify what frame rates they were.  It could see the sample rates, but not the frame rates.  

It was a pretty weird deal; after changing frame rates (and one sample rate) in Wave agent, I put the files back in 788T and they showed up as 23.98, but they froze my 788T completely...  No use.  My understanding was that wave agent was made to do exactly what I was intending, but it made it so the files would not play at all...  Also, files came from 2 different (very competent) editors, and both said they provided 23.98 frame rates...   

Here's the lesson I learned:  Do not do music video playback unless you are using protools or similar software.  788T has always worked for me in the past, but going forward - if there's a bump in the road, I want protools to respond.  Luckily, the other audio person (great guy - bless you, JT!) had pro tools and a solution was available!

John

Edited by JCC